Old January 15th 08, 05:42 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc, alt.chess, rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics

Default Tournament Result of GetClub Chess

For Dec Tournament at GetClub Chess. The Winners are

1st. help bot : Points Awarded 63
2nd. zebediah : Points Awarded 34.9
3rd. sanjay11 : Points Awarded 10.2
4th. Stinky Garlnoot : Points Awarded 8.3
5th. bonsai : Points Awarded 3.6
6th. Par Excellence : Points Awarded 2

So Help Bot was Topper in Dec. Good Luck.

Bye
Sanny

Old January 16th 08, 04:21 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc, alt.chess, rec.games.chess.computer

On Jan 15, 12:42 pm, Sanny wrote:
For Dec Tournament at GetClub Chess. The Winners are

1st. help bot : Points Awarded 63
2nd. zebediah : Points Awarded 34.9
3rd. sanjay11 : Points Awarded 10.2
4th. Stinky Garlnoot : Points Awarded 8.3
5th. bonsai : Points Awarded 3.6
6th. Par Excellence : Points Awarded 2

So Help Bot was Topper in Dec. Good Luck.

At some point in December, I became unable
to play chess due to serious health problems.
Apparently, Zebediah was unaware of this, as
he seems to have given up entirely. Normally,
Zeb could be expected to pile on the pressure
when I was getting close to catching up to his
point score for the month; but this time, I had
established a hefty lead-- yet not sufficient
when you consider that I was completely
disabled for weeks.

-- help bot

Old January 16th 08, 07:06 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc, alt.chess, rec.games.chess.computer

On Jan 16, 9:21*am, help bot wrote:
On Jan 15, 12:42 pm, Sanny wrote:

For Dec Tournament at GetClub Chess. The Winners are

1st. help bot : Points Awarded 63
2nd. zebediah : Points Awarded 34.9
3rd. sanjay11 : Points Awarded 10.2
4th. Stinky Garlnoot : Points Awarded 8.3
5th. bonsai : Points Awarded 3.6
6th. Par Excellence : Points Awarded 2

So Help Bot was Topper in Dec. Good Luck.

* At some point in December, I became unable
to play chess due to serious health problems.
Apparently, Zebediah was unaware of this, as
he seems to have given up entirely. *Normally,
Zeb could be expected to pile on the pressure
when I was getting close to catching up to his
point score for the month; but this time, I had
established a hefty lead-- yet not sufficient
when you consider that I was completely
disabled for weeks.

* -- help bot

Zebediah has left playing Chess for last 2 weeks. Since his motive was
to come First and now he has the highest Rating. He is waiting for
someone to beat his records then he will again come to beat his
record.

His games were great and lokks as if he used some very smart computer
to win Master Level all the time. But with improvements in GetClub
Chess he may be facing a bit difficulty in winning now.

Bye
Sanny

Old January 16th 08, 07:31 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc, alt.chess, rec.games.chess.computer

On Jan 16, 2:06 am, Sanny wrote:

Zebediah has left playing Chess for last 2 weeks. Since his motive was
to come First and now he has the highest Rating. He is waiting for
someone to beat his records then he will again come to beat his
record.

His games were great and lokks as if he used some very smart computer
to win Master Level all the time. But with improvements in GetClub
Chess he may be facing a bit difficulty in winning now.

From what little I saw of his play, it appears he
probably was using a chess program. But the
idea that Zebediah's "goal" was to attain the top
rating does not fit the facts. First of all, playing
a high level takes lots of time, so the rating can
be boosted quicker by playing more games in
the same time against lower levels. Secondly,
the Master level had and still has one of the
lowest ratings around, so targeting that level is
not wise; it makes far more sense to go after
the top-rated levels, which as pointed out above,
can be beaten quicker as well.

In sum, only at the end, when Zeb switched to
playing some games against the lower levels,
does the idea of boosting his rating have any
real merit. By and large, he seemed to want to
test his program against the (second) best
GetClub had to offer, the Master level. In the
process, that particular level's rating was
driven into the ground. If Zeb reappears and is
again active this month, I would guess his real
motive was to earn points faster than me, so
as to take first place. After all, there is a limit
to how many times even a strong program can
beat the Master level in one day.

I would say that Zeb got the top rating at
GetClub due to my losing some games. You
see, when the GetClub program is driven down
to ridiculously low ratings by using a commercial
chess program against it, even one or two losses
can devastate a human's rating, because the
loss negates *weeks* of slow-but-steady upward
progress. The solution is new blood: you need
to get a few new players to come in at 1000, so
the GetClub program is kept far away from a
rating of zero... . :D

-- help bot
Old January 16th 08, 06:19 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc, alt.chess, rec.games.chess.computer

On Jan 16, 12:31*pm, help bot wrote:
On Jan 16, 2:06 am, Sanny wrote:

Zebediah has left playing Chess for last 2 weeks. Since his motive was
to come First and now he has the highest Rating. He is waiting for
someone to beat his records then he will again come to beat his
record.

His games were great and lokks as if he used some very smart computer
to win Master Level all the time. But with improvements in GetClub
Chess he may be facing a bit difficulty in winning now.

* From what little I saw of his play, it appears he
[...]

Are you finding GetClub now playing better than Earlier?

I saw you won 10 Games and lost 2 Games. So You are winning 4/5 Games
with Beginner Level. What about Easy & Normal Level will you try them?

Bye
Sanny

Old January 17th 08, 06:08 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc, alt.chess, rec.games.chess.computer

On Jan 16, 1:19 pm, Sanny wrote:

Are you finding GetClub now playing better than Earlier?

It seems to be playing rather tough these days.
As White, I played some games which went:

1. d4 f5
2. Bg5 Nf6
3. Bxf6 exf6
4. e3 f4

...and of course, this loses a pawn for nothing.
I can't say for certain that I won every one of
these games, but handing White a free pawn
is tantamount to suicide for the program.

I saw you won 10 Games and lost 2 Games. So You are winning 4/5 Games
with Beginner Level. What about Easy & Normal Level will you try them?

Against the Beginner level, I *try* to play
quickly, as in a "2 12" type time control on
the popular chess servers. Sometimes it may
occur that I would lose on time were there any
such limit, and sometimes I must interrupt the
game and just let my clock tick, but by and
large this approach gives the computer a big
advantage, because humans are relatively
weak at blitz, while computers are relatively
strong. You may have noticed one game in
which I hung my Queen-- just left it there to
be captured. Now, while the GC program
will at times do strange things, it will never(?!)
just overlook a one-move Queen capture like
that.

I also made the mistake of trying to even the
(rating point) score after losing; I figure that if
I go to sleep and come back the next night,
either you or someone else will have already
"captured" the rating points I gave away to the
Beginner level, and that irks me. So I try to
"recapture" my losses as best I can, in spite
of being tired and needing to sleep. This
strategy nearly always backfires, but I simply
refuse to learn my lesson. "It doesn't pay to
be petty, like help bot is." -- Bobby Fischer

I'll try to give the slower levels a try... but you
must understand that I *need* to exact revenge
against the heinous Beginner level. I will make
it pay for this, if it's the last thing I do... .

-- vengeful bot

Old January 18th 08, 12:35 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc, alt.chess, rec.games.chess.computer

Are you findingGetClubnow playing better than Earlier?

* It seems to be playing rather tough these days.
As White, I played some games which went:

*1. d4 *f5
*2. Bg5 *Nf6
*3. Bxf6 *exf6
*4. e3 *f4

*...and of course, this loses a pawn for nothing.
I can't say for certain that I won every one of
these games, but handing White a free pawn
is tantamount to suicide for the program.

The Game has been further Improved today. And now it will be very
tough to win even the Beginner Level. I Think because of further
improvements 2/4 games you will play with Beginner Level will be won
by Beginner Level

It would not be possible for you to win Easy & Normal Level unless you
use your whole head to play against them.

* I also made the mistake of trying to even the
(rating point) score after losing; I figure that if
I go to sleep and come back the next night,
either you or someone else will have already
"captured" the rating points I gave away to the
Beginner level, and that irks me. *So I try to
"recapture" my losses as best I can, in spite
of being tired and needing to sleep. *This
strategy nearly always backfires, but I simply
refuse to learn my lesson. *"It doesn't pay to
be petty, like help bot is." -- Bobby Fischer

Now forget that, You will find it very difficult to beat even the
Beginner Level. As today a great improvement was done. Play 4-5 Games
with Beginner Level and tell me if you see the improvement.

* I'll try to give the slower levels a try... but you
must understand that I *need* to exact revenge
against the heinous Beginner level. *I will make
it pay for this, if it's the last thing I do... .

Ok Here is another game between GetClub Beginner & Jester. But Jester
was able to win this game as it got Mate in 6.

Here is the Game

Game Played between sanjay11 and beginner at GetClub.com

sanjay11: (White)
beginner: (Black)
View Recorded Game: http://www.getclub.com/playgame.php?...251&game=Chess

White -- Black