Old January 26th 08, 11:45 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer, rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc

Default King vs King Draw?

King vs King Draw?

I am looking for a way to find all "full" chess games, with or without
annotation, that end in King vs King draws where only the two Kings
are left on the board. I have a non-Intel Macintosh running OS X v.
10.4 and most chess databases appear to run on the PC platform only.
Is there an effective way to access chess databases on the internet to
find such King vs King draw games, or, to download and view such full
game databases on my Mac?

Any pointers to additional information and resources would also be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

- pi -

Old January 28th 08, 05:16 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 15:45:30 -0800, pialogue wrote:
I am looking for a way to find all "full" chess games, with or without
annotation, that end in King vs King draws where only the two Kings are
left on the board. I have a non-Intel Macintosh running OS X v. 10.4 and
most chess databases appear to run on the PC platform only. Is there an
effective way to access chess databases on the internet to find such
King vs King draw games, or, to download and view such full game
databases on my Mac?

SCID runs on non-Intel Macs, I've used both Shane's original and Pascal's
version on mine without problems. It is a bit fiddly to setup the first
time, but works fine after that. It does material searches as well, so
such positions are not a problem, 2537 in my database. Downloading
databases can be more of a problem, but there's a fair number of free pgn
databases out there although quality is variable.
Old January 29th 08, 06:22 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

[ pialogue's post didn't reach my news server so the text I'm quoting ]
[ came from Ben Hague's post . ]

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 15:45:30 -0800, pialogue wrote:
I am looking for a way to find all "full" chess games, with or
without annotation, that end in King vs King draws where only the
two Kings are left on the board.

You can't afford the hard drives to store them all.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Erotic Robot (TM): it's like a
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ high-tech robot but it's genuinely
Old January 30th 08, 01:51 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On Jan 28, 7:16 am, wtfai wrote:
[...]

I can find ANY Mac versions of SCID. Would you please post a web
address for them?

Thanks!
Old January 30th 08, 08:52 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 17:51:05 -0800, pialogue wrote:

On Jan 28, 7:16 am, wtfai wrote:
[...]

There is a version that can be installed using Fink,
http://pdb.finkproject.org/pdb/package.php/scid , and Pascal's version
http://prolinux.free.fr/scid/ can also be built, although I think it does
need some other packages. It's been so long since I first installed it I
can't remember what they are though. It doesn't follow the standard Mac
installation, but uses the Unix type of ./configure, make, make install.