Old July 22nd 08, 09:26 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics

Default Halloween Gambit: 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.Nxe5?! Nxe5

Halloween Gambit: 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.Nxe5?! Nxe5

I taught this gambit as the opening and Easy Level lost a knight for a
Pawn and lost the match to Chrisf.

Is this opening good enough or I should remove this Opening from
GetClubs Book?

As giving a knight for a pawn is no good.

Game Played between chrisf and easy at GetClub.com

chrisf: (Black)
easy: (White)
View Recorded Game: http://www.getclub.com/playgame.php?...179&game=Chess

White -- Black
(easy) -- (chrisf)

1. e2-e4{0} e7-e5{2}
2. Ng1-f3{46} Nb8-c6{4}
3. Nb1-c3{20} Ng8-f6{4}
4. Nf3-e5{148} Nc6-e5{6}
5. d2-d4{46} Ne5-c6{10}
6. e4-e5{38} Nf6-g8{8}
7. Bc1-e3{322} d7-d5{6}
8. Bf1-d3{32} Bc8-e6{16}
9. Qd1-f3{72} Nc6-b4{16}
10. Ke1-c1{32} Nb4-d3{4}
11. Rd1-d3{24} c7-c6{4}
12. h2-h4{160} Qd8-d7{8}
13. h4-h5{158} h7-h6{4}
14. Rd3-d2{40} Ke8-c8{20}
15. Be3-f4{52} Bf8-b4{14}
16. a2-a3{28} Bb4-a5{4}
17. b2-b4{142} Ba5-c7{4}
18. Nc3-a4{92} b7-b6{4}
19. Na4-c3{62} Ng8-e7{6}
20. Qf3-d3{134} Kc8-b7{10}
21. g2-g4{58} Be6-g4{12}
22. Rh1-h4{38} Bg4-f5{12}
23. Qd3-g3{22} Rh8-g8{4}
24. a3-a4{64} a7-a6{6}
25. Rd2-d1{68} Bf5-e6{8}
26. Rh4-h1{132} Ne7-f5{6}
27. Qg3-d3{32} Qd7-e7{8}
28. Nc3-a2{22} Rd8-c8{18}
29. Kc1-b1{20} c6-c5{14}
30. d4-c5{56} b6-c5{10}
31. b4-b5{32} a6-b5{26}
32. a4-b5{48} Rc8-a8{8}
33. Na2-c3{56} c5-c4{8}
34. Nc3-d5{34} c4-d3{4}
35. Nd5-e7{58} d3-c2{4}
36. Kb1-c2{36} Ra8-a2{4}
37. Kc2-b1{120} Nf5-e7{4}
38. Rh1-h2{258} Rg8-a8{8}
39. Rd1-d6{254} Be6-f5{6}
40. Kb1-c1{2} Ra2-c2{16}
41. Kc1-d1{2} Ra8-a1{8}
42. Kd1-c2{0}
chrisf: (Black)
easy: (White)
View Recorded Game: http://www.getclub.com/playgame.php?...179&game=Chess

So you can see Chrisf win this game easily being a knight up.

Was there any other thing wrong played by GetClub or it was because of
wrong opening that it lost?

Bye
Sanny

Old July 22nd 08, 11:14 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics

In article
,
Sanny wrote:

Halloween Gambit: 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.Nxe5?! Nxe5

Is this opening good enough or I should remove this Opening from
GetClubs Book?

With a few seconds of research, you might've found that there was a
computer who played the Halloween Gambit exclusively on ICC, and was so
successful with it that some IMs took it up themselves.

So what is it? Are you really a troll, or just stupid and incompetent?
Old July 22nd 08, 05:51 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics

On Jul 22, 3:14*pm, Frisco Del Rosario wrote:
In article
,

*Sanny wrote:
Halloween Gambit: 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.Nxe5?! Nxe5

Is this opening good enough or I should remove this Opening from
GetClubs Book?

With a few seconds of research, you might've found that there was a
computer who played the Halloween Gambit exclusively on ICC, and was so
successful with it that some IMs took it up themselves.

"Halloween Gambit" I got this name from other websites only. I want
experts view points on this opening. If all of them say this opening
is good I will keep it. Else Remove it from GetClub's Opening Book.

Bye
Sanny

Old July 22nd 08, 06:22 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

* Sanny (10:26) schrieb:

Was there any other thing wrong played by GetClub or it was because of
wrong opening that it lost?

Well, it's a gambit. You trade material for a positional advantage. If
your engine can't see the positional advantage then it's wrong to play
the gambit.

mfg, simon .... l
Old July 22nd 08, 08:32 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics
zzz zzz is offline

Objectively speaking it's not a very good opening, but against an
unprepaired human opponent, I guess a computer could get some decent
results with it.
The only way to know if GetClub can handle it is to let it play some
games with it. If it does well: keep the gambit, if it doesn't: throw
it out.
Make sure it knows the critical lines deep enough.
You can find a detailed analysis of the opening he
http://www.chessville.com/instructio...weenGambit.pdf

Old July 22nd 08, 08:34 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics

On Jul 22, 4:26*am, Sanny wrote:
Halloween Gambit: 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.Nxe5?! Nxe5

I taught this gambit as the opening and Easy Level lost a knight for a
Pawn and lost the match to Chrisf.

Is this opening good enough or I should remove this Opening from
GetClubs Book?

Sanny, the fact that you even have to ask this question shows how
utterly ignorant you are about chess. Why don't you forget about
chess, and take up, say, necromancy, forestry, or dodgeball, so that
you can bother some other newsgroup and leave this one alone.
Old July 22nd 08, 10:05 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics

On Jul 22, 1:34*pm, wrote:
Why don't you forget about
chess, and take up, say, necromancy, forestry, or dodgeball

Sanny should create Computer Dodgeball Game to go with Boxing Game and
Chess Game.

So you will not Dodge Ball and will Lose like Carrot.

Now Dodge Ball game is twice improved and will win you any Game.

Play Dodge Ball at www.gitclub.com/dodgeball .
Old July 22nd 08, 10:45 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics

On Jul 22, 3:26 am, Sanny wrote:
Halloween Gambit: 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.Nxe5?! Nxe5

I taught this gambit as the opening and Easy Level lost a knight for a
Pawn and lost the match to Chrisf.

Is this opening good enough or I should remove this Opening from
GetClubs Book?

This opening is quite sound and is to be recommended. However, it is
important to remember that after 5. d4 Black should play Nd3+. There
is a good chance that White will overlook that he can take the knight
with either the queen or the bishop and will play 6. Kd2, after which
Nxf2 wins the queen assuming of course that White does not realize
that his queen is attacked.

Old July 23rd 08, 01:00 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

On Jul 22, 5:45 pm, samsloan wrote:

Halloween Gambit: 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.Nxe5?! Nxe5

I taught this gambit as the opening and Easy Level lost a knight for a
Pawn and lost the match to Chrisf.

Is this opening good enough or I should remove this Opening from
GetClubs Book?

This opening is quite sound and is to be recommended. However, it is
important to remember that after 5. d4 Black should play Nd3+. There
is a good chance that White will overlook that he can take the knight
with either the queen or the bishop and will play 6. Kd2, after which
Nxf2 wins the queen assuming of course that White does not realize
that his queen is attacked.

That post is proof-positive that I would easily
best Mr. Sloan in a set match, for after his
inferior play White wins easily by simply
capturing the Knight on d3, at move six. Well,
actually, I would never play this opening, and
in half the games I would get Black, but even
so, it is plain as day which of us is an even
worse chess analyst than the other patzer.

Until this thread, I was not aware that such
a gambit existed-- probably because the Ruy
Lopez is so much more popular these days
than a four-Knights opening. The advantage
lies in quickly putting the human patzer on
his own resources, whereupon he will
invariably falter. But no, the GetClub
program should definitely NOT play this line
as White. Generally speaking, the GC
program should try -- I say TRY -- to stick to
playing lines in which it does not hang any
of its pieces early on. In fact, most experts
agree that having more pieces than the
opponent is, all other things being equal, a
significant advantage.

-- help bot
Old July 23rd 08, 05:56 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

Default Halloween Gambit REMOVED

* Until this thread, I was not aware that such
a gambit existed-- probably because the Ruy
Lopez is so much more popular these days
than a four-Knights opening. *The advantage
lies in quickly putting the human patzer on
his own resources, whereupon he will
invariably falter. *But no, theGetClub
program should definitely NOT play this line
as White. *Generally speaking, the GC

This Opening has been removed from GetClubs Opening Book.

Now it will not play 4. Nxd5 instead it will play 4. d4

I have added opening after looking at games by good players. And some
good players played "Halloween Gambit" and this opening was added to
GetClub by mistake.

Any opening that is bad will be removed.

And any opening you think is good and not present in GetClub please
let me know.

GetClub only records First 4 Moves of Opening Else the Opening Book
will become too large and download time of the game will be increased.

So only common openings have been added.

Any level higher than Easy Level is good enough to play without the
use of Opening Book. Only Beginner & Easy level need Opening books
because they play weak.

Still Easy Level will out do many players.

Bye
Sanny