Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old July 26th 08, 03:38 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,soc.culture.magyar
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: May 2006
Posts: 14,870
Default Amazing Polgar Gripe and a Repeat of History

Amazing Polgar Gripe and a Repeat of History

There is an amazing new development over on the Polgar censored
discussion group. Suddenly, Susan Polgar is saying that she wants to
be sent to Beijing China to represent the US in the World Mind Games
Championship.

http://www.chessdiscussion.com/phpBB...php?f=4&t=1362

The reason this is astounding is that Polgar is not on the top-50
rated players lists because she has not played a rated game of chess
in two years and that was in a blitz tournament. The last time she
played in a regular rated game was 2005 and that was the US Amateur
Team East where she lost to a 1700 player named Roberto Jose. The last
time she played in a FIDE Rated event was in 2004.

http://www.uschess.org/msa/MbrDtlTnmtHst.php?12452240

After that event in 2004, she said that she would never represent the
US again. Here are the exact words of her husband and representative:

Apr 15, 2006
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/.../message/25524
Congratulations! You won! As I told you before, Susan will not play in
any future Olympiad, even after 2010. This is directly because of
Beatriz and the KCF.

Now, however, Susan realizes that the members of the US Team will get
a free all expenses paid trip to Beijing China. She wants to go.
However, since the team has already been selected, she wants to have
one of the team members kicked off and replaced by her. She wants one
of our active and promising young players to be kicked of the team
just so she can get a free trip to China.

This exact thing has happened with Susan Polgar before. Indeed, almost
every one of her gripes and disputes with the USCF has been a mirror
image of a similar dispute with the Hungarian Chess Federation before
she got here.

In 1984 the same thing happened. Hungary wanted her to play on the
women's team in the World Chess Olympiad. The Polgar Family set
conditions. Finally, after a long and acrimonious dispute, Susan
refused to play.

In 1986, with the Hungarian Chess Federation relations with the Polgar
Family being even worse, the Hungarian Chess Federation just selected
a team without her and sent that team. Susan then complained that she
had not even been asked. She admitted to me that if she had been asked
she would have set the same conditions as she had set in 1984, but
said that they were required to ask her anyway.

One of the major issues in the 1984 dispute was that Susan wanted to
bring her mother along too. This on the surface seems entirely
reasonable. Susan was only 15 (and still a virgin by the way), so it
seems reasonable that she should be allowed to bring her mother to the
Olympiad.

However, the Hungarian Chess Federation had a good reason not to want
to bring her mother. They knew that if her mother was there, every
little thing would have to be negotiated with the mother. The team
captain could not just tell Susan to play this round or not play or
whatever. The mother's permission would have to be obtained for every
little thing. (Her father was not yet allowed to travel abroad with
her.) The Hungarians had a lot of experience dealing with Susan's
mother and knew that it would not be easy, so they just preferred not
to have Susan on the team at all, to save the disruption the presence
of her mother would bring.

Now, we can see what is probably getting ready to happen. If the USCF
caves in, kicks another player off the team and puts on Susan instead,
the next thing that will happen is Susan will say that she wants to
bring along Paul Truong too!

When will this ever end?

Sam Sloan
  #2   Report Post  
Old July 26th 08, 07:15 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,soc.culture.magyar
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,194
Default Amazing Polgar Gripe and a Repeat of History



samsloan wrote:
Amazing Polgar Gripe and a Repeat of History

There is an amazing new development over on the Polgar censored
discussion group. Suddenly, Susan Polgar is saying that she wants to
be sent to Beijing China to represent the US in the World Mind Games
Championship.

http://www.chessdiscussion.com/phpBB...php?f=4&t=1362

The reason this is astounding is that Polgar is not on the top-50
rated players lists because she has not played a rated game of chess
in two years and that was in a blitz tournament. The last time she
played in a regular rated game was 2005 and that was the US Amateur
Team East where she lost to a 1700 player named Roberto Jose. The last
time she played in a FIDE Rated event was in 2004.

Sam Sloan



Almost but not quite. (Could that be the Sloan coat of arms?) The
Mayor's Cup in July 2006 was "regular rated." (It was also Quick
rated, but so what?) Sloan is correct, however (mirabile dictu), that
Polgar, not having played in two years, doesn't meet the USCF's
invitation requirements. If she disagrees with the activity
requirement, she can introduce a motion to change it, but a self-
serving complaint like this shows very poor judgment on her part.
  #3   Report Post  
Old July 26th 08, 12:33 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,soc.culture.magyar
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: May 2006
Posts: 14,870
Default Amazing Polgar Gripe and a Repeat of History

On Jul 26, 2:15 am, wrote:
samsloan wrote:
Amazing Polgar Gripe and a Repeat of History


There is an amazing new development over on the Polgar censored
discussion group. Suddenly, Susan Polgar is saying that she wants to
be sent to Beijing China to represent the US in the World Mind Games
Championship.


http://www.chessdiscussion.com/phpBB...php?f=4&t=1362


The reason this is astounding is that Polgar is not on the top-50
rated players lists because she has not played a rated game of chess
in two years and that was in a blitz tournament. The last time she
played in a regular rated game was 2005 and that was the US Amateur
Team East where she lost to a 1700 player named Roberto Jose. The last
time she played in a FIDE Rated event was in 2004.


Sam Sloan


Almost but not quite. (Could that be the Sloan coat of arms?) The
Mayor's Cup in July 2006 was "regular rated." (It was also Quick
rated, but so what?) Sloan is correct, however (mirabile dictu), that
Polgar, not having played in two years, doesn't meet the USCF's
invitation requirements. If she disagrees with the activity
requirement, she can introduce a motion to change it, but a self-
serving complaint like this shows very poor judgment on her part.


Now, Polgar is saying, without any basis, that this new event in
Beijing China does not have an activity requirement. If you look at
her tournament results, you will see that, with the exception of the
2005 US Amateur Team East (where she bombed out), Polgar she has not
played in a competitive tournament since 1995:

http://uschess.org/msa/MbrDtlTnmtHst.php?12452240

The Mayor's Cup in 2006 was an exhibition tournament arranged by
Polgar. She picked the players and arranged for them to be paid. For
example, the US Champion, 16-year-old Hikaru Nakamura, wanted very
much to play but Polgar would not let him into the tournament because
she knew that he would be a dangerous opponent.

There are a lot of suspicions and doubts about that tournament because
the full games have never been published and Polgar's result was far
better than any previous tournament in her life.

Polgar was accused of computer cheating in her match with Grandmaster
Gulko which she won 2-0. Polgar was kicked off of USChessLive for
computer cheating.

Back in 2004, when Polgar was trying to make the activity requirement
so she could play in the US Woman's Olympic Team, she played in
tournaments in her own chess club where all of her opponents were 1500
or 1600 players, such as this one:

http://www.uschess.org/msa/XtblMain....93340-12452240

This let to the comment by one of her chief rivals:

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/.../message/10188

"Also, on a personal note, I don't want to end up on the Team that
has a cheerleader. After all, in order to play for medals, the US Team
shouldn't have a player who is only brave enough to face beginners."

"Best regards,
"Anjelina

This let to the infamous comment by one of her top rivals that "Polgar
is screaming . . . like girls in a bordello fighting over a client".

Back in 2004, as now, Susan Polgar had not played a tournament game in
years and was not on the top-50 list. Polgar has never played in a US
Championship or a US Woman's Championship since she arrived in this
country in 1994. (She had such a bad reputation in Hungary that the
Hungarians did not want her any more.)

Here is what was said about her then:

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/.../message/10188

"And this is your DREAM TEAM?

"Look what you got: Krush and Shahade are against Goletiani, all of
them are against Hahn, illegally squeezed in Zatonskih is hiding,
Polgar is screaming.

"It sounds more like girls in a Bordello are fighting over a client,
rather than an Olympic Team preparing to win a medal.

"Why did we let Polgar come in the picture in the first place? Just
to ruin women chess in America and cut deals behind the
scenes? ................ Regarding the proposed tournament:

"As I noticed on forwarded to me Confidential (AGAIN!!!) E-mail from
Bill Goichberg my name is on the list of 8 possible participants.
Well, nobody called or even e-mailed to me, asking my opinion.

"It is one more deal, cut by Polgar and Co. This tournament is a
JOKE, as I strongly suspect that Susan already started to fill most of
the score sheets.

"I would suggest her to try herself in a role of a Madam and leave
American Chess scene for good."

"Best regards,
"Anjelina
  #4   Report Post  
Old July 26th 08, 06:57 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,soc.culture.magyar
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: May 2006
Posts: 14,870
Default Amazing Polgar Gripe and a Repeat of History

Probably what really happened is that it never crossed their minds
that Susan might want to play.

Susan announced her retirement in 1992. Since then, she has only
played twice, first to play for the Woman's World Championship in 1996
and second to play on the 2004 World Chess Olympiad. Her other events
have just been exhibition events, such as the 2006 NY Mayor's Cup.

Strangely, Susan announced the World Mind Games Championship months
ago on her websites at http://susanpolgar.blogspot.com Since she knew
about it back then, she should have notified the USCF at that time if
she wanted to play. Instead, she first inquired about it five days ago
on July 21 on BINFOS 200803086. With the deadline for entries having
passed last month, it is too late to substitute her on the team plus
that would be manifestly unfair to the already invited players.

Sam Sloan
  #5   Report Post  
Old July 26th 08, 09:36 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,soc.culture.magyar
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: May 2006
Posts: 14,870
Default Amazing Polgar Gripe and a Repeat of History

On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 3:33 PM, wrote:



----------------------------------

Are you sure you know what you are talking about?

20058274 (PA) Life 2318 2138 SHAHADE, JENNIFER
(last played in 2004)

12452240 (TX) Life 2597 2621 POLGAR, SUSAN ZSUZSA
(last played in 2006)

http://main.uschess.org/content/view/8575/468/

Individual Women: Blitz and Rapid
Krush Irina (only blitz), Shahade Jennifer (both blitz and rapid),
Abby Marshall (only Rapid) and Zenyuk Iryna.

We are still waiting for an official explanation by Mr. Bill Hall.
No one can properly explain so far. Perhaps you know something no one
else does.
----------------------------------


http://www.uschess.org/tds/invitations.html


Sam Sloan


What almost undoubtedly happened is that Susan has turned down all
invitations since 1996 so they just assumed that she would not be
interested in playing. Jennifer Shahade rarely gets invited to
anything so when the rest of the other women declined they turned to
her.

Susan has been invited to hundreds of events. She always declines.
When I was staying in Susan's apartment in Budapest, Hungary, the
phone rang every day with people inviting her to events. Susan would
tell them how much money she wanted, which was usually a minimum of
$1000.

What surprises everybody is that you and Susan have known about this
event since early June, yet until July 21 when you sent a BINFO about
it you never any expressed interest in it. Are you just piqued that
you did not get invited? The only thing that can happen now from your
point of view is that Jennifer be disqualified.

By the way, are you willing to go at your own expense, or do you want
for the USCF to pay for your and Susan's trip?

Also, if inactive players are to be invited, why not invite Elena
Donaldson-Akhmylovskaia, Irina Levintina, Anna Akhsharumova Gulko, and
Anjelina Belakovskaia? All of them are stronger than most of the women
on the team, but they have not played in years.

Sam Sloan


  #6   Report Post  
Old July 27th 08, 10:18 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,soc.culture.magyar
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: May 2006
Posts: 14,870
Default Amazing Polgar Gripe and a Repeat of History

I personally would have liked to see Polgar play in Beijing, but she
did not tell anybody that she wanted to play until July 21. I sent my
first email trying to get myself invited to the Chinese chess section
on June 10. Polgar is always aggressive at saying what she wants, so
why did she remain silent until after the team had been selected?
Perhaps she really did not want to play but just wanted to score a
political point without having to prove herself against her rivals.

Please note that after excluding her suspicious result in the 2006 NYC
Mayor's Cup, her rating of 2557 is about the same as that of Irina
Krush, who is rated 2534. In a match between Irina and Susan, I would
consider Irina to be the favorite. Irina is playing actively at the
top levels and beat US Champion Alexander Shabalov recently. Polgar is
out of practice, having not played since 1996 except for the 2004
Olympiad.

It is really objectionable that Polgar keeps saying that she is the
best player when she is not willing to sit down at the board and play
a game of chess.

Sam Sloan

  #7   Report Post  
Old July 27th 08, 02:59 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,soc.culture.magyar
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: May 2006
Posts: 14,870
Default Amazing Polgar Gripe and a Repeat of History

The infamous quote from former US Woman's Champion and Woman's
Grandmaster Anjelina Belakovskaia, "Polgar is screaming", certainly
applies to the current situation.

Take a look at the Polgar blogs at:

http://susanpolgar.blogspot.com/2008...-for-uscf.html

http://www.chessdiscussion.com/phpBB...php?f=4&t=1362

Note that whenever anybody asks an embarrassing question, such as
"Since you knew about this event on the first of June, while did you
remain silent about it until now?", Susan deletes such unanswerable
questions from her blog.

Also, with regard to her demand that she be sent now, does Susan
realize that if the USCF spends any money to send her to China, that
might be deemed a violation of Section 27(2)(a) of the "Delegate
Actions of Continuing Interest" which is on page 36 of the 2008
Delegate's Call? Section 27 (2)(a) states:

"a) Except where noted below, no Executive Board member or a member of
his immediate family may receive financial compensation from the USCF
for any reason, except for standard reimbursement of expenses, during
his tenure on the Board."

I do not see how Susan can get around this. This issue came up when
she was running for the board. She said that since she was retired as
an active player, it would not come up while she was on the board.
Now, it has come up!!!

Regarding Jennifer Shahade, remember that Jennifer is essentially a
news reporter writing news reports for the uschess.org website. She is
on a regular salary. Thus, sending her to China so that she can write
news reports is not only allowable, but it might even be required as
part of her regular job.

Sam Sloan
  #8   Report Post  
Old July 28th 08, 12:07 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,soc.culture.magyar
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,194
Default Amazing Polgar Gripe and a Repeat of History



samsloan wrote:
The infamous quote from former US Woman's Champion and Woman's
Grandmaster Anjelina Belakovskaia, "Polgar is screaming", certainly
applies to the current situation.

Take a look at the Polgar blogs at:

http://susanpolgar.blogspot.com/2008...-for-uscf.html

http://www.chessdiscussion.com/phpBB...php?f=4&t=1362

Note that whenever anybody asks an embarrassing question, such as
"Since you knew about this event on the first of June, while did you
remain silent about it until now?", Susan deletes such unanswerable
questions from her blog.

Also, with regard to her demand that she be sent now, does Susan
realize that if the USCF spends any money to send her to China, that
might be deemed a violation of Section 27(2)(a) of the "Delegate
Actions of Continuing Interest" which is on page 36 of the 2008
Delegate's Call? Section 27 (2)(a) states:

"a) Except where noted below, no Executive Board member or a member of
his immediate family may receive financial compensation from the USCF
for any reason, except for standard reimbursement of expenses, during
his tenure on the Board."

I do not see how Susan can get around this. This issue came up when
she was running for the board. She said that since she was retired as
an active player, it would not come up while she was on the board.
Now, it has come up!!!

Regarding Jennifer Shahade, remember that Jennifer is essentially a
news reporter writing news reports for the uschess.org website. She is
on a regular salary. Thus, sending her to China so that she can write
news reports is not only allowable, but it might even be required as
part of her regular job.

Sam Sloan



Straw man. The USCF is not giving anyone any money for the China trip.
The organizers are covering some (but not all) of the players'
expenses, but it's awfully hard to squeeze that into DACI-27.
  #9   Report Post  
Old July 28th 08, 04:02 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,soc.culture.magyar
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: May 2006
Posts: 14,870
Default Amazing Polgar Gripe and a Repeat of History

On Jul 27, 7:07 pm, wrote:
samsloan wrote:
The infamous quote from former US Woman's Champion and Woman's
Grandmaster Anjelina Belakovskaia, "Polgar is screaming", certainly
applies to the current situation.


Take a look at the Polgar blogs at:


http://susanpolgar.blogspot.com/2008...-for-uscf.html


http://www.chessdiscussion.com/phpBB...php?f=4&t=1362


Note that whenever anybody asks an embarrassing question, such as
"Since you knew about this event on the first of June, while did you
remain silent about it until now?", Susan deletes such unanswerable
questions from her blog.


Also, with regard to her demand that she be sent now, does Susan
realize that if the USCF spends any money to send her to China, that
might be deemed a violation of Section 27(2)(a) of the "Delegate
Actions of Continuing Interest" which is on page 36 of the 2008
Delegate's Call? Section 27 (2)(a) states:


"a) Except where noted below, no Executive Board member or a member of
his immediate family may receive financial compensation from the USCF
for any reason, except for standard reimbursement of expenses, during
his tenure on the Board."


I do not see how Susan can get around this. This issue came up when
she was running for the board. She said that since she was retired as
an active player, it would not come up while she was on the board.
Now, it has come up!!!


Regarding Jennifer Shahade, remember that Jennifer is essentially a
news reporter writing news reports for the uschess.org website. She is
on a regular salary. Thus, sending her to China so that she can write
news reports is not only allowable, but it might even be required as
part of her regular job.


Sam Sloan


Straw man. The USCF is not giving anyone any money for the China trip.
The organizers are covering some (but not all) of the players'
expenses, but it's awfully hard to squeeze that into DACI-27.


If that is really true and Susan really wants to go, why does she not
just ask the organizers to pay her way?

Why does she bother us about this?

Sam Sloan
  #10   Report Post  
Old July 28th 08, 08:12 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,soc.culture.magyar
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,194
Default Amazing Polgar Gripe and a Repeat of History



samsloan wrote:
On Jul 27, 7:07 pm, wrote:
samsloan wrote:
The infamous quote from former US Woman's Champion and Woman's
Grandmaster Anjelina Belakovskaia, "Polgar is screaming", certainly
applies to the current situation.


Take a look at the Polgar blogs at:


http://susanpolgar.blogspot.com/2008...-for-uscf.html


http://www.chessdiscussion.com/phpBB...php?f=4&t=1362


Note that whenever anybody asks an embarrassing question, such as
"Since you knew about this event on the first of June, while did you
remain silent about it until now?", Susan deletes such unanswerable
questions from her blog.


Also, with regard to her demand that she be sent now, does Susan
realize that if the USCF spends any money to send her to China, that
might be deemed a violation of Section 27(2)(a) of the "Delegate
Actions of Continuing Interest" which is on page 36 of the 2008
Delegate's Call? Section 27 (2)(a) states:


"a) Except where noted below, no Executive Board member or a member of
his immediate family may receive financial compensation from the USCF
for any reason, except for standard reimbursement of expenses, during
his tenure on the Board."


I do not see how Susan can get around this. This issue came up when
she was running for the board. She said that since she was retired as
an active player, it would not come up while she was on the board.
Now, it has come up!!!


Regarding Jennifer Shahade, remember that Jennifer is essentially a
news reporter writing news reports for the uschess.org website. She is
on a regular salary. Thus, sending her to China so that she can write
news reports is not only allowable, but it might even be required as
part of her regular job.


Sam Sloan


Straw man. The USCF is not giving anyone any money for the China trip.
The organizers are covering some (but not all) of the players'
expenses, but it's awfully hard to squeeze that into DACI-27.


If that is really true and Susan really wants to go, why does she not
just ask the organizers to pay her way?

Why does she bother us about this?

Sam Sloan



Because the invitation list is full. Like most FIDE-related events,
you only get in through your national federation. You're not that
ignorant, Sam, so let's skip the rhetorical questions.
Reply
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 ChessBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Chess"

 

Copyright © 2017