Old July 27th 08, 11:26 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default How do you determine if your opponent is a computer?

Hi. I posted this questions 7 days ago but seemed to be ignored for some
reason. I hope it's ok to repost it. Anyway, I hope someone will finally
notice this one.

I am just curious if you have a way of knowing whether your opponent in
an online chess game, such as that in excite or msn, is really a human
or a chess engine. How would I know if the one moving the pieces at the
other end of the board is some souped up cousin of sanny's getclub?

--
"...history is always written by the winners.
When two cultures clash, the loser is obliterated,

"What is history but a lie agreed upon?"
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Old July 27th 08, 12:41 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On Jul 27, 3:26*pm, Rand al'Thor wrote:
Hi. I posted this questions 7 days ago but seemed to be ignored for some
reason. I hope it's ok to repost it. Anyway, I hope someone will finally
notice this one.

If he wins all the games everytime and makes no blunders. Humans how
good he is will make atleast 1 blunder in 10-20 games. But Computer
will never make a blunder as it do not get tired thinking a lot.

I am just curious if you have a way of knowing whether your opponent in
an onlinechessgame, such as that in excite or msn, is really a human
or achessengine. How would I know if the one moving the pieces at the
other end of the board is some souped up cousin of sanny's getclub?

GetClub is now much improved So you will not be able to win against it
so easily.

Bye
Sanny

Old July 27th 08, 03:23 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

"Sanny" wrote in message
On Jul 27, 3:26 pm, Rand al'Thor wrote:
Hi. I posted this questions 7 days ago but seemed to be ignored for some
reason. I hope it's ok to repost it. Anyway, I hope someone will finally
notice this one.

If he wins all the games everytime and makes no blunders. Humans how
good he is will make atleast 1 blunder in 10-20 games. But Computer
will never make a blunder as it do not get tired thinking a lot.

That's a bunch of crap.

Computers blunder all the time.

The one thing they wont do is make a tactical blunder within their search
depth. (With modern hardware, there should be no tactical blunders within
12-15 plies, even on moderate hardware at faster time controls.)

But they still make positional blunders.

They still make tactical blunders whose consequences are beyond their search
depth (or that are caused by over agressive pruning methods.)

They still have problems with the horizon effect. (Delaying moves, etc.)

They still make moves that humans think are blunders because they haven't
analyzed the results as completely and the move they think is so good
actually isn't.

They can still get into time control problems.

The top programs don't blunder as much as the weaker programs, of course.
And today's hardware mean that the average quality of play has improved.

But computers still blunder.