Old August 7th 08, 12:59 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default Toby Products

Has anyone had any luck with Toby Chess DVDs??? This guy pedals his
stuff at chess tournaments. He's a master salesman. Once you buy
DVDs from him, he gives you a piles of directions about how to load
and use them . The problem is that the directions don't work. His
screen saver caused my computer to shut down and had to be removed.
His tactics DVDs can't be loaded (I always suspect products where you
have to turn off your antivirus security). (His PDF stuff can be
loaded). Has anybody had any luck with his Checkmates & Chess Tactics
DVDs??? I'd like to know because the stuff I bought is virtually
worthless.
Old September 4th 08, 06:53 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On Aug 6, 6:59*pm, renaissanceman wrote:
Has anyone had any luck with Toby Chess DVDs??? *This guy pedals his
stuff at chess tournaments. *He's a master salesman. Once you buy
DVDs from him, he gives you a piles of directions about how to load
and use them . *The problem is that the directions don't work. *His
screen saver caused my computer to shut down and had to be removed.
His tactics DVDs can't be loaded (I always suspect products where you
have to turn off your antivirus security). *(His PDF stuff can be
loaded). *Has anybody had any luck with his Checkmates & Chess Tactics
DVDs??? I'd like to know because the stuff I bought is virtually
worthless.

HI, this is Toby. I am the man who sold you the software. Our products
worked fine until about 2 years ago. Our tactic & checkmate databases
are created as Microsoft databases (.mdb files). New security features
would take our databases as we tried to install or copy them and turn
them into read only so no one could write to them (thats how they
protected the fles on the computer). Deep Tactics needed to write to
them to check off the finished puzzles and would crash as a result. We
solved this about 9 months ago by installing the tactic puzzles from a
bin with Deep Tactics and have not had the problem since. The
checkmates exceeded the maximum size we could compile so that one is
not solved. We are creating new files using PGN databases for the
puzzles and that so far has no problems in the use of the program, but
we cannot search for specific puzzle types like we can in an .mdb
file.

I will be happy to send you an updated Deep Tactics if you e-mail me
back with your address. I have installed Deep Tactics on more than
1,000 computers at chess tournaments and all work for the customers to
my knowledge. I also have endorsements from chess coaches such as Dave
Mcnulty (Knights of the South Bronx) that this is the best teaching
software he has ever seen.

Best Wishes, Toby
Old September 7th 08, 12:26 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On Sep 4, 10:53*am, wrote:
[...]

I also came across a situation where the computer needed to update its
Net Framework. When we compiled for Vista, Deep Tactics required Net
Framework 2.0 from Microsoft. They gave us the install files so we
could install but then the new Microsoft security features stopped
their own program from being installed. You can go to the Microsoft
website and download the updates and that may help.
Good Luck, Toby