Old September 4th 08, 11:56 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default The Correlator

It is amazing how well it works! A piece that captures in correlation
with the king. After a Correlator move, enemy pieces are captured (1)
at the intersections of the orthogonals (2) at the intersections of
the diagonals (on which king and Correlator are placed). So capture
occurs at queen move distance from the king, at rectangular and
triangular intersection points. The Correlator can capture several
pieces at once. A Zillions program and more information is he
http://hem.passagen.se/melki9/correlatorchess.htm

Mats
Old September 4th 08, 01:24 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

M Winther wrote:
It is amazing how well it works! A piece that captures in correlation
with the king. After a Correlator move, enemy pieces are captured (1)
at the intersections of the orthogonals (2) at the intersections of
the diagonals (on which king and Correlator are placed).

Argh. That's a fascinating idea but I think it would breay my brain
to try to play with it. Does it capture at the intersection of a
diagonal with an orthogonal? Or just at ortho-ortho and diag-diag
intersections?

By the way, I'd suggest co-ordinator as a better name -- correlation
is a statistical phenomenon.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Accelerated Soap (TM): it's like a
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ personal hygiene product but it's
Old September 4th 08, 01:24 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

David Richerby wrote:
I think it would breay my brain

Break it so badly I wouldn't be able to type, for example.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Hungry Chocolate Radio (TM): it's like
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ a radio that's made of chocolate but
Old September 4th 08, 06:20 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Den 2008-09-04 14:24:06 skrev David Richerby :

M Winther wrote:
It is amazing how well it works! A piece that captures in correlation
with the king. After a Correlator move, enemy pieces are captured (1)
at the intersections of the orthogonals (2) at the intersections of
the diagonals (on which king and Correlator are placed).

Argh. That's a fascinating idea but I think it would breay my brain
to try to play with it. Does it capture at the intersection of a
diagonal with an orthogonal? Or just at ortho-ortho and diag-diag
intersections?

By the way, I'd suggest co-ordinator as a better name -- correlation
is a statistical phenomenon.

Dave.

It captures only at ortho-ortho and diag-diag. I have tried diag-ortho, but it
didn't work. Of course, this is good training for the brain, but what's so
surprising is that it works fine, also for a human brain. After all, the king is
a rather stationary piece, so it's easy to predict where the capture squares
are.

Mats