Old September 6th 08, 08:57 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics

Default Pls analyze this game of Beginner Level

What do you say, What were the wrong moves by Beginner that it should
have avoided?

Game Played between Jester and beginner at GetClub.com

Jester : (White)
beginner: (Black)
View Recorded Game: http://www.getclub.com/playgame.php?...050&game=Chess

White -- Black
(Jester ) -- (beginner)

1. e2-e4{8} d7-d5{0}
2. e4-d5{6} Qd8-d5{0}
3. Nb1-c3{6} Qd5-d8{0}
4. Bf1-b5{10} c7-c6{18}
5. Bb5-c4{10} Ng8-f6{8}
6. d2-d3{18} Bc8-g4{82}
7. f2-f3{12} Bg4-e6{6}
8. Bc4-e6{12} f7-e6{8}
9. Qd1-e2{10} Qd8-d6{8}
10. Ng1-h3{10} Nb8-d7{8}
11. Ke1-g1{12} g7-g6{8}
12. Nh3-g5{16} e6-e5{6}
13. Kg1-h1{12} Bf8-g7{6}
14. Nc3-e4{12} Nf6-e4{8}
15. Ng5-e4{10} Qd6-d4{6}
16. Bc1-e3{12} Qd4-d5{10}
17. Qe2-f2{12} b7-b6{8}
18. Qf2-h4{10} Nd7-f6{20}
19. Be3-d2{12} Nf6-e4{6}
20. f3-e4{10} Qd5-d4{8}
21. Bd2-c3{14} Qd4-e3{12}
22. Qh4-g4{12} Bg7-f6{24}
23. Qg4-e6{12} Qe3-g5{0}
24. Rf1-f2{10} Ke8-d8{6}
25. Qe6-c6{12} Ra8-b8{8}
26. Ra1-f1{12} Rh8-g8{14}
27. Qc6-d5{12} Kd8-c8{28}
28. Qd5-g8{10} Kc8-b7{10}
29. Qg8-d5{16} Kb7-c8{12}
30. a2-a4{14} h7-h5{14}
31. a4-a5{28} Rb8-b7{20}
32. a5-b6{14} a7-b6{0}
33. Qd5-c6{10} Rb7-c7{6}
34. Qc6-b6{10} Rc7-d7{8}
35. Rf1-a1{12} Rd7-c7{10}
36. Qb6-b5{10} Rc7-a7{18}
37. Qb5-e8{14} Kc8-b7{6}
38. Qe8-d7{14} Kb7-b8{0}
39. Qd7-a7{14} Kb8-c8{0}
40. Qa7-a8{10} Kc8-c7{2}
Jester : (White)
beginner: (Black)
View Recorded Game: http://www.getclub.com/playgame.php?...050&game=Chess

Please let me know your opinion about the above moves.

Bye
Sanny

Old September 9th 08, 09:58 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics

Sanny wrote:
What do you say, What were the wrong moves by Beginner that it should
have avoided?

Game Played between Jester and beginner at GetClub.com

Jester : (White)
beginner: (Black)
View Recorded Game: http://www.getclub.com/playgame.php?...050&game=Chess

White -- Black
(Jester ) -- (beginner)

1. e2-e4{8} d7-d5{0}
2. e4-d5{6} Qd8-d5{0}
3. Nb1-c3{6} Qd5-d8{0}
4. Bf1-b5{10} c7-c6{18}
5. Bb5-c4{10} Ng8-f6{8}
6. d2-d3{18} Bc8-g4{82}
7. f2-f3{12} Bg4-e6{6}

Tragically Getclub manages to find by far the weakest square for the
bishop. White moves are obvious here to gain the advantage.

Any other move of the bishop would have been preferable by far. The
outcome of the game is determined by this basic error provided that
white plays sensibly.
[snip]

22. Qh4-g4{12} Bg7-f6{24}

22. .... Qh6 would hold out longer

24. Rf1-f2{10} Ke8-d8{6}

White misses a trick either:
24. Qxc6+ or 24. d4
And black is dead in the water.

27. Qc6-d5{12} Kd8-c8{28}

All over bar the shouting. 27. ... Kc7 is marginally less bad.

Please let me know your opinion about the above moves.

It is definitely making backwards progress.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old September 11th 08, 05:21 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On Sat, 6 Sep 2008 00:57:46 -0700 (PDT), Sanny
wrote:

What do you say, What were the wrong moves by Beginner that it should
have avoided?

Ok, I gave it a go, shooting from the hip. I checked a couple
tactical shots afterward with Ruffian. Basically, black's choice of
opening is not so good for a beginner, and the play is poor
throughout. The *very* basic opening guidelines - develop minor
pieces, occupy the center with pawns, don't move the queen early,
prepare to castle - are *all* violated. Hope this helps, read a book!

Game Played between Jester and beginner at GetClub.com

Jester : (White)
beginner: (Black)
View Recorded Game: http://www.getclub.com/playgame.php?...050&game=Chess

White -- Black
(Jester ) -- (beginner)

1. e2-e4{8} d7-d5{0}
2. e4-d5{6} Qd8-d5{0}
3. Nb1-c3{6} Qd5-d8{0}
4. Bf1-b5{10}

I see this as almost provoking a strengthening of black's position,
besides wasting time.

... c7-c6{18}
5. Bb5-c4{10} Ng8-f6{8}
6. d2-d3{18} Bc8-g4{82}
7. f2-f3{12}

Ack. Play Nf3.

... Bg4-e6{6}

Double ack. If it isn't obvious, this wrecks black's center pawns, a
caution every beginner should know. The game is about lost here, but
for the fact that white continues to play poorly for a while.

8. Bc4-e6{12} f7-e6{8}
9. Qd1-e2{10}

Steals the knight's developing square, and moves the queen early.
While black's early queen move is part and parcel of the opening
theory, which many believe only marginally playable, but this move is
just wrongly timed.

So far, white has made several beginner mistakes, only to be answered
by worse mistakes by black.

... Qd8-d6{8}

Like I just said. Let's take a look at what's going on here. After
nine moves, neither white nor black is prepared to castle, and won't
be for several more moves. Black's pawns are hopeless, as is the king
bishop. Only one minor piece is out for each player. This game so
far has violated almost every dictum in chapter one of every beginner
chess book.

10. Ng1-h3{10}

The Knight's only square, and it stinks.

...Nb8-d7{8}
11. Ke1-g1{12} g7-g6{8}

Better would have been e5 or even h6, trying to keep white's bad
knight bad, and will somebody please start to put pressure on the
center soon?

12. Nh3-g5{16} e6-e5{6}
13. Kg1-h1{12}

Um, why?

... Bf8-g7{6}
14. Nc3-e4{12} Nf6-e4{8}
15. Ng5-e4{10}

Probably should develop the queen bishop before entertaining an
attack.

... Qd6-d4{6}

Probably would be more comfortable on c7.

16. Bc1-e3{12} Qd4-d5{10}
17. Qe2-f2{12} b7-b6{8}
18. Qf2-h4{10}

A lot of time wasting going on here, by both players, moving queens to
and fro, aimlessly trying to find a strong square.

...Nd7-f6{20}
19. Be3-d2{12} Nf6-e4{6}

Really, really bad. Removes a well posted piece from the board and
strengthens white's center pawns while opening a file for the white
rook on f1. Is white moving black's pieces here? (I have shut down
Arena, but IIRC, this piece is supported by the backward e pawn, so
the hope remains that white may foolishly take this piece and allow
black to repair his pawns - another reason to keep it where it is, if
one were needed. The final reason to keep it here is that its
obstructive effect will allow black to castle eventually. This was
black's best minor piece, and it is cast to the wind for less than
nothing.)

20. f3-e4{10} Qd5-d4{8}

Since white has not been taking any initiative at all in attacking the
weak black center pawns, black decides to provoke the white attack.

21. Bd2-c3{14} Qd4-e3{12}
22. Qh4-g4{12} Bg7-f6{24}

Why not Rf8? Hmm, ok, Ruffian says only Qh6 (followed by g5) can take
the sting out of the coming Qe6. At this point, though, having failed
to castle and having voluntarily ruined its pawn structure, black is
hopeless.

23. Qg4-e6{12} Qe3-g5{0}
24. Rf1-f2{10} Ke8-d8{6}
25. Qe6-c6{12} Ra8-b8{8}
26. Ra1-f1{12} Rh8-g8{14}

Black is finding the most ineffectual squares possible for the rooks,
and I wonder if white could have achieved this position but for the
provocation of black to move the pieces where they have ended up?

27. Qc6-d5{12} Kd8-c8{28}

Why does this move not surprise me?

28. Qd5-g8{10} Kc8-b7{10}
29. Qg8-d5{16} Kb7-c8{12}
30. a2-a4{14} h7-h5{14}
31. a4-a5{28} Rb8-b7{20}
32. a5-b6{14} a7-b6{0}
33. Qd5-c6{10} Rb7-c7{6}
34. Qc6-b6{10} Rc7-d7{8}
35. Rf1-a1{12} Rd7-c7{10}
36. Qb6-b5{10} Rc7-a7{18}

If not for the unnecessary white move #13, this swindle would not be
playable. I'm guessing "Jester" is the engine playing white, so it's
unlikely that even a weak engine will fall for a mate-in-one swindle.
I haven't seen that from a computer since the seventies.

Old September 11th 08, 07:07 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics

Default Another game to analyze.

Help Bot easily took White pieces due to think Normal Level was
playing wrong moves?

Game Played between help bot and normal at GetClub.com

help bot: (Black)
normal: (White)
View Recorded Game: http://www.getclub.com/playgame.php?...644&game=Chess

White -- Black
(normal) -- (help bot)

1. e2-e4{2} c7-c5{6}
2. Nb1-c3{224} g7-g6{26}
3. Ng1-f3{444} Bf8-g7{20}
4. Bf1-c4{492} Nb8-c6{24}
5. b2-b3{500} Ng8-f6{42}
6. Ra1-b1{254} Ke8-g8{30}
7. Ke1-g1{298} e7-e6{88}
8. Nf3-g5{198} d7-d5{32}
9. e4-d5{160} e6-d5{272}
10. Bc4-e2{98} h7-h6{104}
11. Ng5-f3{106} d5-d4{48}
12. Nc3-a4{94} b7-b6{158}
13. Bc1-b2{462} Rf8-e8{138}
14. Be2-c4{208} a7-a6{86}
15. Rf1-e1{90} Re8-e1{48}
16. Qd1-e1{82} b6-b5{70}
17. Bc4-f7{106} Kg8-f7{70}
18. Na4-c5{108} Qd8-d5{74}
19. Nc5-d3{118} Nf6-h5{44}
20. Rb1-c1{176} b5-b4{54}
21. Kg1-h1{94} Bc8-g4{78}
22. Qe1-e2{98} Ra8-e8{18}
23. c2-c4{428} d4-c3{36}
24. Qe2-f1{370} Bg4-f3{54}
25. d2-c3{144} Bf3-e2{48}
26. Qf1-e1{152} Be2-d3{34}
27. Qe1-g1{208} Re8-e2{76}
28. c3-c4{214} Qd5-e6{70}
29. Bb2-a1{354} Bg7-a1{116}
30. Rc1-a1{84} Nh5-f6{70}
31. f2-f3{116} Nc6-e7{50}
32. Qg1-d4{354} Ne7-f5{118}
33. Qd4-c5{122} Nf6-d7{76}
34. Qc5-d5{458} Qe6-d5{38}
35. c4-d5{204} Nf5-e3{46}
36. d5-d6{88} Ne3-g2{54}
37. Ra1-f1{340} Ng2-e3{72}
38. Rf1-a1{294} Nd7-e5{72}
39. d6-d7{4}
help bot: (Black)
normal: (White)
View Recorded Game: http://www.getclub.com/playgame.php?...644&game=Chess

What were the major problems in Normal Level game.

Bye
Sanny

Old September 11th 08, 10:45 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics

On Sep 11, 7:07*am, Sanny wrote:
Help Bot easily took White pieces due to think Normal Level was
playing wrong moves?

Yes. It set up situations for help bot to fork its minor pieces!

White -- Black
(normal) -- (help bot)

Please sort out your header to match standard specifications it is
annoying not to have the players names and other match details.

[Date "2008/09/10"]
[White "Normal"]
[Black "Help Bot"]
[Result "0-1"]

Date, White, Black, Result would be an acceptable subset.
This should be a trivial change for your programmers to make!

1. e2-e4{2} c7-c5{6}
2. Nb1-c3{224} g7-g6{26}
3. Ng1-f3{444} Bf8-g7{20}
4. Bf1-c4{492} Nb8-c6{24}
5. b2-b3{500} Ng8-f6{42}
6. Ra1-b1{254} Ke8-g8{30}
7. Ke1-g1{298} e7-e6{88}
8. Nf3-g5{198} d7-d5{32}

Ng5 threatens little or nothing and makes the N a tempting target. It
can be trivially repelled when black wants it out of the way.

Bb5 looks as good as any.

14. Be2-c4{208} a7-a6{86}

Sets up a forkable pair of minor pieces ready for black to exploit.
And black predictably prepares the ground with a6. Bb5 still looks
playable. Re1 not too bad either - already black has a winning
advantage.

15. Rf1-e1{90} Re8-e1{48}
16. Qd1-e1{82} b6-b5{70}

The trap is complete. One piece must die.

17. Bc4-f7{106} Kg8-f7{70}

Please add the + notation for checks. Incidentally most engines seem
to prefer the alternative capture sequence starting Nxc5. Not sure I
agree, but the engines are stronger than I am.

22. Qe1-e2{98} Ra8-e8{18}

22. Ng1 or Qd1 are about the only things playable here.
Qe2 just gives away a tempo as predictably black puts a rook on the
open file.
23. c2-c4{428} d4-c3{36}

23. Qd1 or Qf1 are now whites only decent moves.

24. Qe2-f1{370} Bg4-f3{54}

Be nice if you showed captures right too.
Here black misses a trick 24. .... cxB and white is totally destroyed.

25. d2-c3{144} Bf3-e2{48}
26. Qf1-e1{152} Be2-d3{34}
27. Qe1-g1{208} Re8-e2{76}
28. c3-c4{214} Qd5-e6{70}
29. Bb2-a1{354} Bg7-a1{116}
30. Rc1-a1{84} Nh5-f6{70}

By this stage at 3 minor pieces down for two pawns I reckon Getclub
should resign. I reckon Nf4 is a quicker finish.

What were the major problems in Normal Level game.

It likes to sacrifice minor pieces for no compensation. And it seems
to deliberately put pieces in harms way like the Qe2 move that gifted
a tempo to black for instance.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old September 11th 08, 02:43 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.computer

[Egregious cross-post trimmed.]

Martin Brown wrote:
Sanny wrote:
White -- Black
(Jester ) -- (beginner)

1. e2-e4{8} d7-d5{0}
2. e4-d5{6} Qd8-d5{0}
3. Nb1-c3{6} Qd5-d8{0}
4. Bf1-b5{10} c7-c6{18}
5. Bb5-c4{10} Ng8-f6{8}
6. d2-d3{18} Bc8-g4{82}
7. f2-f3{12} Bg4-e6{6}

Tragically Getclub manages to find by far the weakest square for the
bishop.

In general, you should never place a bishop on e6 with the king's pawn
still on e7. It makes it hard to develop the king's bishop, which
makes it hard to castle. It also makes it hard to establish pawns in
the centre. The same arguments apply to bishops on d6, d3 and e3 in
analogous positions.

In this case, it's extra-bad because White can exchange the bishop
off, leaving Black with pawns on e7 and e6. These isolated, doubled
pawns (two pawns on the same file with no pawns on adjacent files) are
hard to defend, easy to attack and considerably restrict Black's
ability to manoeuvre. They also give Black nowhere safe to castle --
the pawn on c6 means that queenside castling is going to be weak and
the holes on f7 (now) and g7 (the only way to get the bishop out) mean
that kingside castling is bad, too.

This would be obvious to you if you'd read even the most basic of
beginner books on chess. If you don't want to spend the millions that
you're making with GetClub on a chess book, go read Dan Heisman's
column at

http://www.chesscafe.com/archives/ar...#Novice%20Nook

There's nothing wrong with asking questions but the questions you're
asking and have been asking for years are so basic that you'd learn
much more by studying on your own for a little whle. In a couple of
weeks of gentle study, you could find out on your own the answers to
hundreds of the kinds of questions you've been asking.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Portable Broken Pants (TM): it's
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ like a well-tailored pair of trousers
Old September 11th 08, 02:45 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 02:45:35 -0700 (PDT), Martin Brown
wrote:

White -- Black
(normal) -- (help bot)

Please sort out your header to match standard specifications it is
annoying not to have the players names and other match details.

[Date "2008/09/10"]
[White "Normal"]
[Black "Help Bot"]
[Result "0-1"]

Hmm, looks like I've been chummed. I assumed the OP was a genuine
request for assistance. Ah well, fool me once. And oh by the way, I
think this Sanny is trying to tell me that the "beginner" level is of
2200 quality. Well, if "beginner" is his program playing the engine
"Jester" in the OP'd game, I'd give it about 800, no more. The Jester
side played at about 1200. Food for thought Sanny, but don't expect
any more replies from me.

Old September 11th 08, 03:33 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Charlie Siegrist wrote:
Hmm, looks like I've been chummed.

Yeah, sorry.

I assumed the OP was a genuine request for assistance. Ah well,
fool me once. And oh by the way, I think this Sanny is trying to
tell me that the "beginner" level is of 2200 quality.

He is, yes. Draw your own conclusions.

Well, if "beginner" is his program playing the engine "Jester" in
the OP'd game

It was, yes. Jester's actually a pretty decent program so I guess it
was playing at a very restricted time control and/or on a resource-
starved machine (perhaps starved by Sanny's program running at the
same time).

Dave.

--
David Richerby Incredible Solar-Powered Gnome (TM):
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ it's like a smiling garden ornament
Old September 11th 08, 06:22 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics

Default "Charlie" Bug found & Removed.

This game had a bug when playing that was removed today.

Today after the Bug was removed GetClub Beginner Level defeated Jester
and Beginner win the game.

Here is the game where Beginner win against the Jester.

Game Played between sanjay11 and beginner at GetClub.com

sanjay11: (White)
beginner: (Black)
View Recorded Game: http://www.getclub.com/playgame.php?...662&game=Chess

White -- Black
(sanjay11) -- (beginner)

1. e2-e4{4} c7-c5{0}
2. Ng1-f3{4} g7-g6{0}
3. d2-d4{6} c5-d4{0}
4. Nf3-d4{8} Bf8-g7{0}
5. Nb1-c3{10} h7-h5{48}
6. Bc1-e3{10} a7-a6{10}
7. f2-f4{12} d7-d6{28}
8. Bf1-e2{10} Ng8-f6{26}
9. f4-f5{10} e7-e5{6}
10. f5-e6{10} f7-e6{6}
11. Ke1-g1{12} Ke8-g8{12}
12. Be2-c4{12} d6-d5{8}
13. e4-d5{10} e6-d5{12}
14. Bc4-b3{10} Nb8-c6{18}
15. Nd4-e2{12} Nc6-a5{34}
16. Bb3-d5{12} Nf6-d5{10}
17. Rf1-f8{14} Kg8-f8{10}
18. Ne2-f4{14} Na5-c4{14}
19. Nc3-d5{12} Bg7-b2{6}
20. Nf4-g6{14} Kf8-f7{10}
21. Ng6-e5{10} Bb2-e5{10}
22. Qd1-h5{10} Kf7-g7{18}
23. Be3-g5{10} Qd8-d5{6}
24. Ra1-f1{12} Be5-d4{8}
25. Kg1-h1{10} Bc8-e6{22}
26. a2-a4{14} Ra8-h8{26}
27. Qh5-e2{10} Nc4-b6{30}
28. Bg5-e3{12} Bd4-e3{8}
29. Qe2-e3{10} Nb6-d7{6}
30. Qe3-g3{12} Kg7-h6{10}
31. Qg3-h4{12} Qd5-h5{14}
32. Qh4-d4{14} Rh8-e8{34}
33. Qd4-e4{12} b7-b6{22}
34. Rf1-b1{14} Be6-d5{6}
35. Qe4-f4{10} Qh5-g5{26}
36. Qf4-f2{10} Bd5-c6{10}
37. Rb1-d1{10} Re8-f8{12}
38. Qf2-e2{10} Bc6-a4{8}
39. Qe2-a6{10} Ba4-c2{6}
40. Rd1-d6{12} Rf8-f6{12}
41. Qa6-a3{16} Bc2-f5{16}
42. Rd6-f6{10} Nd7-f6{26}
43. Qa3-a1{12} Bf5-e4{6}
44. Qa1-b2{12} Qg5-g7{10}
45. Qb2-f2{12} b6-b5{12}
46. Kh1-g1{12} Qg7-g6{10}
47. h2-h3{10} b5-b4{10}
48. g2-g3{10} Kh6-g7{12}
49. Qf2-a7{14} Qg6-f7{10}
50. Qa7-a5{10} Qf7-b3{12}
51. Qa5-g5{12} Kg7-f7{6}
52. Kg1-f1{10} Qb3-f3{6}
53. Kf1-e1{14} Qf3-h1{0}
54. Ke1-e2{14} Qh1-h3{8}
55. Qg5-e5{10} Qh3-h2{10}
56. Ke2-d1{10} Qh2-c2{8}
57. Kd1-e1{8} Qc2-c3{0}
58. Qe5-c3{12} b4-c3{8}
59. g3-g4{10} c3-c2{44}
60. Ke1-d2{10} Nf6-g4{6}
61. Kd2-c1{12} Ng4-e5{6}
62. Kc1-d2{14} Ne5-c4{8}
sanjay11: (White)
beginner: (Black)
View Recorded Game: http://www.getclub.com/playgame.php?...662&game=Chess

So you see how Beginner won the game. Was there any better way of
winning?

What do you say Chalie and Martin Brown?

Bye
Sanny

Old September 11th 08, 06:26 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Hmm, looks like I've been chummed. *I assumed the OP was a genuine
request for assistance. *Ah well, fool me once. *And oh by the way, I
think this Sanny is trying to tell me that the "beginner" level is of
2200 quality. *Well, if "beginner" is his program playing the engine
"Jester" in the OP'd game, I'd give it about 800, no more. *The Jester
side played at about 1200. *Food for thought Sanny, but don't expect
any more replies from me.

There was a bug when that game was played today Beginner beat the
Jester.

Beginner : 15 sec / move
Jester: 3 sec / move

Is Jester 1200? at above time control?

[...]

So what do you say about this victory of Beginner Level.

Bye
Sanny