Old September 10th 08, 02:26 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default Question about Arena

I have been trying to figure out how to use Arena (v. 1.99 beta 5) to
be simply a board on which I can shuffle pieces around while working
out variations, especially variations based on pasting a FEN position.
Nothing I have found will work around its insistence that an engine be
loaded.

I would have thought that choosing human v. human in the Game Data
menu would do the trick, but no. Is there a way to do it?
Conversely, I've found a simple program called Chess Pad that will
allow this, but I'd prefer to be able to do it within one program.

Old September 10th 08, 02:37 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

* Charlie Siegrist (03:26) schrieb:

I have been trying to figure out how to use Arena (v. 1.99 beta 5) to
be simply a board on which I can shuffle pieces around while working
out variations, especially variations based on pasting a FEN position.
Nothing I have found will work around its insistence that an engine be
loaded.

I would have thought that choosing human v. human in the Game Data
menu would do the trick, but no. Is there a way to do it?
Conversely, I've found a simple program called Chess Pad that will
allow this, but I'd prefer to be able to do it within one program.

There is an edit button below the board, that when pressed allow you to
do moves on the board without answers from the engine. You can use
analyze instead and the engine will just analyze every position while
you play.

mfg, simon .... l
Old September 10th 08, 12:47 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 03:37:03 +0200, Simon Krahnke
wrote:

[...]

Just tried it, yep, that's what I was looking for. Thanks!