Old September 15th 08, 07:31 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default USCF sucks--play your chess computer or online

Let's face it: Chess is a very cheap game! Yet, where does USCF get
off charging 35-100 dollars
per tournament, which averages to about $6-8/ game just for the
"privilege" of getting an "official" rating?
Sure, they're trying to increase the PRIZE fund to "attract more
masters", and thus, prestige (I guess).

But seriously, who cares? I'd rather play in a cheap tournament and
play some good games than gawk at all the oooh-masters!

And to top it off, USCF charges a yearly membership fee. I played the
other day with a guy at this club who beat the pants off me; I asked
his rating and he said he had none, and that paying for tournaments is
a waste of money. I agree with him.

The USCF has taken chess hostage with their ridiculous fees, PLUS now
a lot of tournaments are G/60 or G/45 so you cannot even sit down and
play quality chess anymore.

Instead, I can always get a good game online with FICS or play my
Fritz, or go into a club and play a "casual" game. But it's a shame,
because ratings are cool, but USCF has hijacked it from all but the
wealthiest of us.