Old September 19th 08, 09:43 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc

Default A mobile phone for Chess..

Hi,

I currently have a Nokia Series 40 phone. A must have for me is chess
and unfortunately on Java based phones platforms I don't find free
software that allows one to setup a position and save that position
and play later. (Let alone dealing with PGN). Earlier when I brought
that phone, I was sure at somepoint in future we'll have an interface
just like xboad/winboard and broad range of engines ported to the
mobile. (That was about 4 years earlier).

Now I've decided to get a new phone, I was hoping that now I should be
able to get something with much better support for chess. Turns out
that Windows Mobile tops the list followed by palm. Just as I expected
I find CEBoard which seems to allow interchanging engines et all (But
is only for Windows Mobile). Meanwhile for Series 60 Symbian phones,
still nothing much like that. Given the number of freeware engines in
the desktop world, I think there are a lot of hobbyist programmers
that write them and should be in need of freeware tools. My reasoning
was that an Open platform in C/C++ will see a lot of these chess
engines or new engines comming up. I'm quite suprised at the way
things have turned out, 2 questions:

1. Windows Mobile doesn't seem to have any freeware development tools
for its current version, yet authors seem to be developing for it
rather than Symbian phones, which also supports C++ and has completely
free tools. Anyone has an answer to why this is so? I'd expect people
to be developing for symbian more considering that its tools are free.
On the contrary for Symbian the choice is very limited for free chess
software. Even among the paid there is not much choice as there is for
Windows Mobile.

2. Which would be a good platform for me to put my cash on, hoping
that future chess development will be better.
I first decided on Windows Mobile but once I decided I can't code for
my own phone even if I wanted to, I dropped the idea and decided to
seek advice here. (IOW, I'll have to buy Visual Studio. I'm aware that
there was some embbeded C++ tool that Microsoft earlier provided free,
but with the latest version of windows mobile I guess thats not an
option anymore). I thought I'll wait for Android, but turns out that
android developement will be in Java (Given the state of affairs in
the desktop world, I don't think as far as chess development is
concerned, it'll ever parallel the choice available in C/C++ based
platforms).

Regards,
Kumar
Old September 19th 08, 10:14 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc

I first decided on Windows Mobile but once I decided I can't code for
my own phone even if I wanted to, I dropped the idea and decided to
seek advice here.

Clarification: I meant "I want to write code for my phone but can't
in Windows mobile, since I'll need to buy expensive tools.

Regards,
Kumar

Old September 19th 08, 03:40 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc

On Sep 19, 4:30 pm, Paolo Casaschi wrote:
look atwww.chessgenius.comandwww.shredderchess.com
they sell inexpensive chess software for a variety of phones

Thanks. I was aware of both of those before I posted. I was suprised
at the number of programs one had for the PocketPC vs Series60.
Chessgenius seems to be pretty good. Shredderchess wouldn't fit my
bill since it doesn't support opening PGN files.
For instance, I'd like to load a pgn file and analyze games or play
from a given point.

Regards,
Kumar

Paolo