Old September 20th 08, 03:28 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,soc.culture.usa

Default Palin Hacker is USCF Member rated 1913

All evidence seems to indicate that the person who hacked into VP
Candidate Sarah Palin's Yahoo account is USCF scholastic member David
Kernell.

http://uschess.org/msa/MbrDtlTnmtHst.php?12830368

He has a USCF rating of 1913 and won the 2004 Tennessee Open
Scholastic Chess Championship.

http://government.zdnet.com/?p=4018

Old September 20th 08, 11:30 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,soc.culture.usa

On Sep 19, 10:28*pm, samsloan wrote:
All evidence seems to indicate that the person who hacked into VP
Candidate Sarah Palin's Yahoo account is USCF scholastic member David
Kernell.

http://uschess.org/msa/MbrDtlTnmtHst.php?12830368

He has a USCF rating of 1913 and won the 2004 Tennessee Open
Scholastic Chess Championship.

http://government.zdnet.com/?p=4018

Sam Sloan

He has played in 200 USCF Rated tournaments since 2001 and won the
2004 Tennessee State High School Championship, directed by Harry
Sabine.

http://uschess.org/msa/XtblMain.php?...410.4-12830368

I say we should give him a life membership !

Old September 21st 08, 05:31 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,soc.culture.usa

When I am asked for the answer to a secret question, I use the name
of my first pet. Nobody, not even my wife or my daughters, knows the
name of my first pet and it is not a name that one would guess, so I
feel that it is secure. (However, my brother might remember it.)

I never use "Mother's Maiden Name" anymore if I can avoid it, because
I have a genealogy website where that information is available.

There is a new danger in a site called
http://pulse.plaxo.com/pulse/connections

At least ten people including two of my children have asked me to join
that site in the past few weeks. In order to join YOU MUST USE YOUR
REAL EMAIL PASSWORD, which they check. If you try to use another
password which is different than your real password, they say that
this is not the correct password.

This is assuming that you use one of the popular email sites such as
hotmail, yahoo, gmail, aol etc.

They claim to have 20 million subscribers.

That means that they have stolen the password from 20 million (stupid)
people.

I believe that this is how the "Fake Bill Goichberg" got the email
password of the Real Bill Goichberg.

Old September 22nd 08, 05:14 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,soc.culture.usa

SPECIAL REPORT: Sarah Palin's email problems exposed
Separating fact from fiction

http://images.zatz.com/zatz/resource...ngs/zatzltrhd/
emailsgonecover-sm.gif Palm Bay, FL--ZATZ Publishing, in association
with IT Examiner.com, today announced the publication of our latest
Special Report, Separating fact from fiction: Sarah Palin's email
problems exposed.

According to the report, which features an interview with David
Gewirtz, ZATZ Editor-in-Chief and author of Where Have All The Emails
Gone?, Sarah Palin's Yahoo email troubles mirror email security,
privacy, and identity theft concerns we all face.

While there has not yet been any official statement from Palin's team
that her email was actually hacked, David reports that a forensic
investigation should examine a series of specific issues: how it
happened; whether it could have happened; whether there was any
wrongdoing; and, what the truth really is about the previous Alaskan
requests for her email records?

The Palin email hacking incident has been at the top of the news
through a confluence of events: the extraordinary attention Governor
Palin has been getting as the surprise Vice Presidential nominee of
the Republican party, an investigation into missing email messages
that might shed light on her alleged wrongdoing in the firing of the
Alaskan Public Safety Commissioner, and the break-in and subsequent
publication of what is claimed to be the contents of her Yahoo email
account.

The 1,448 word Special Report explores the following issues:

* Five specific ways Governor Palin's Yahoo email account may have
been compromised.

* How your email accounts might also be hacked in exactly the same way
Palin's were reported to be, and what you can do to protect yourself.

* What this hacking incident might mean for the various Alaskan state
investigations into Governor Palin's possible participation in
"Troopergate".

* How questions of email archiving by Governor Palin might relate to
David's study of the email archiving problems at the White House and
how the severity of the issue might differ considerably.

This story has reinforced once again just how important David's
recommendations in Where Have All The Emails Gone? are. Those six
steps may be the only path that will prevent the problems we seem to
be constantly discovering from happening with future administrations
-- and even other governments throughout the world.

To arrange an interview or to further discuss the disturbing issues
brought up by this incident, email Liz Higgins at
or call (321) 722-4620. Please include your
complete contact information, including phone.

http://images.zatz.com/zatz/resource...trhd/headshot-
tiny.jpg David Gewirtz has written more than 600 articles about
technology, competitiveness, and national security policy. He is the
Cyberterrorism Advisor for the International Association for
Counterterrorism & Security Professionals, a columnist for The Journal
of Counterterrorism and Homeland Security, and has been a guest
commentator for the Nieman Watchdog of the Nieman Foundation for
Journalism at Harvard University.

David is a former professor of computer science, has lectured at
Princeton, Berkeley, UCLA, and Stanford, has been awarded the
prestigious Sigma Xi Research Award in Engineering, and was a
candidate for the 2008 Pulitzer Prize in Letters. He is the author of
four books including Where Have All The Emails Gone? and The Flexible
Enterprise.

About ZATZ Publishing
ZATZ Publishing is a leading publisher of special-interest online
magazines and books for technical consumers and IT professionals. ZATZ
publishes popular magazines, including OutlookPower Magazine,
DominoPower Magazine, Computing Unplugged Magazine, Connected
Photographer Magazine, and WebSpherePower Magazine. Together, these
publications have nearly one million readers and are the leading
monthly magazines in their markets.

# # #

ZATZ, the ZATZ logo, OutlookPower, DominoPower, and WebSpherePower,
Computing Unplugged, Connected Photographer, and Where Have All The
Emails Gone? are trademarks or service marks of ZATZ Publishing, a
unit of Component Enterprises, Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.

CONTACT:
Liz Higgins
(321) 722-4620

ZATZ Publishing
P.O. Box 110579

Old September 22nd 08, 10:27 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,soc.culture.usa

wrote in message
SPECIAL REPORT: Sarah Palin's email problems exposed
Separating fact from fiction

This story has reinforced once again just how important David's
recommendations in Where Have All The Emails Gone? are. Those six
steps may be the only path that will prevent the problems we seem to
be constantly discovering from happening with future administrations
-- and even other governments throughout the world.

Sir,

Since you represent these matters to us - how like she is to Mr Micawber.

He was of course of magnificent consequence, as she, and furthermore his
better-half belivieved in him unto and after prison for 'trying'. Such a
woman as Mrs Micawber is valuable, indeed, a salutory woman methinks. Such a
woman cannot possibly be confused with Gov. Palin who is more alike to be
mixed with her namesake Michael of Monty Python fame.

Now, since I write here as some Uria Heep might attempt - skirting the exact
litigious matter, and quote an alike pop-group of whom you will not be aware
for 3 reasons (a) they spelled themselves "Heap" (b) they were not so
'pop'ular, and (c) nor had any matter of substance to relate other than
'freedom'. [It, like our Mrs. Palin, was never established as being a
freedom-to or a freedom-from] Anyway, I lose my strenghth in parenthesis.

Even said Heep would certainly most 'umbly disagree with what is public and
private about what is conspiracy and private and what not.

But this would merely reduce the current election race in the USA to
mid-Victorian "B" characters, which in effect it is as treated by the media.

Copperfield should himself prefer his father figure of Micawber and his
umble friend Heep to get along as best they can - and to have wished they
met earlier!

Instead we have this level of intellect displayed, public and private, to
the co-candidate for the most powerful postion in the world; and of its
content let me say an unpopular thing - that the co-candidate does the
gender of women no favors whatever.

That is the real issue. The remains of the day issues only media attention
to an amplified sunset, lasting a day or so in memory [no other thing said
does, except the 'reception' of the the candidate]. That is the mood of the
people, or at least, of all the people I know, men and women, even liberals
and most conservaties.

What our hacker has outed is a plain view of the person. Of course the
method is as unavowable as in any wartime activity, whether public or
performed by the state.

It strikes me particularly that the country should consider such material of
more interest than what it reveals - today I read of the ailing Tolkien, who
wrote his son about 'not in a soil in which fungus-growth of cults is likely
to arise':

The horrors of the American scene I will pass over,
though they have given me great distress and labour,
(They arise in an entirely different mental climate
and soil, polluted and impoverished to a degree
only paralleled by the lunatic destruction of physical
lands which Americans inhabit.)

That is the state of your nation, Sir, still. The body of it, as some
psychologists would say, is intimate with tyhe soul of it.

And still it possesses the best and the worst of people's activities, and
still the most potent nation - for good or for ill. At such tides, are we
not sensing ourselves in some sort of internal conflict where, to use the
Founder's own sense of things, "freedom of speech" is the freedom to speak
one's conscience, not the first nor every thing to enter one's head, and
certainly not the freedom to Orewellian spin.

Cordially, Phil Innes

Old September 23rd 08, 05:14 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,soc.culture.usa

On Sep 20, 10:31 pm, samsloan wrote:
When I am asked for the answer to a secret question, I use the name
of my first pet. Nobody, not even my wife or my daughters, knows the
name of my first pet and it is not a name that one would guess, so I
feel that it is secure. (However, my brother might remember it.)

I never use "Mother's Maiden Name" anymore if I can avoid it, because
I have a genealogy website where that information is available.

I always put in fake stuff when one of those security questions is
demanded;
I feel that's the only thing really secure.

They really should stop asking for stuff like that, precisely because
people
are likely to know it.

There is a new danger in a site called http://pulse.plaxo.com/pulse/connections

At least ten people including two of my children have asked me to join
that site in the past few weeks. In order to join YOU MUST USE YOUR
REAL EMAIL PASSWORD, which they check. If you try to use another
password which is different than your real password, they say that
this is not the correct password.

That sounds really bad. Many sites require a functioning address, but
I've never heard of a password!

Andrew Usher