Old September 22nd 08, 09:50 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default Beginner not even 1350

Hello Sanny,

Just for further proof that the ratings you suggest for your program
are completely false (as if any more were needed), I submit this game
between your Beginner level (which you recently claimed was "2250+")
and "Lacey", a personality from Chessmaster 9000 who plays instantly
and is rated approximately 1350 USCF.

Lacey's rating was calculated using hundreds of games against humans,
and thousands of games against other Chessmaster personalities. It is
one of the most accurate ratings in the game.

[Date "2008.9.22"]
[White "Beginner"]
[Black "Lacey"]
[Result "0-1"]

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 d5 3.c5 e5 4.dxe5 Ne4 5.b4 Nc6 6.a3 Nxe5 7.Bb2 Qh4 8.g3
Qf6 9.Qd4 Nc4 10.Qxf6 Nxf6 11.Bxf6 gxf6 12.Nc3 Be6 13.e4 dxe4 14.Nxe4
O-O-O 15.Bxc4 Bxc4 16.Nxf6 Bg7 17.Rc1 Bd3 18.Ne2 Bxf6 19.Rd1 Rhe8 20.O-
Rxe2 21.Rfe1 Rc2 22.Re3 Bc4 23.Rxd8+ Kxd8 24.a4 Bd4 25.h3 Bxe3
26.fxe3
Bd5 27.g4 Ke7 28.g5 Rg2+ 29.Kf1 Rxg5 30.Ke2 Rg3 31.Kd2 Rxh3 32.a5 h5
33.b5 Rg3 34.Kd3 h4 35.b6 cxb6 36.axb6 a5 37.Kc3 Rxe3+ 38.Kd4 Re1
39.Kxd5 h3 40.c6 h2 41.cxb7 h1=Q+ 42.Kc5 Re5+ 43.Kc4 Qd5+ 44.Kc3 Qxb7
45.Kc4 Qxb6 46.Kc3 Qe3+ 0-1

The time control is irrelevant, as I said, because Lacey plays
"instantly". She took less than five seconds TOTAL to play all of
these moves (so, yes, that's less than 0.1 seconds per move). Beginner
took approximately 17 minutes, about 200 times longer than Lacey.

Lacey already had an advantage after move 3, although she did give
some ground back a few moves later. Beginner then held its own
(against a 1350-rated player, remember) until about move 15. After
that, the game is over.

I could play more games between Lacey and Beginner, but I know Lacey
would win almost all of them, and draw the rest. Therefore, I
calculate that Beginner level is no better than 1100 USCF.

I will next let Lacey have her way with "Easy" level.

jm
Old September 23rd 08, 11:27 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer
ave ave is offline

I'm sure it will be improved twice over very soon so that it's rating is
2k+. ;(

*Sometimes* I get tempted to play on GetClub, for the simple reason that I
completely suck at chess. In my entire life I have probably played chess
about 10 times in total (and that actually may be an over-estimate). And
those were against my sister when we were children. I *sometimes* get
tempted, because I know my own personal rating would be 1500 and it'd be
interesting to see if I could beat it. However I am always immediately put
off by the website which does not make a nice prospect to sit in front of
for the duration of game, so whilst I sometimes get tempted... I don't.

ave

Old September 23rd 08, 01:16 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

ave wrote:
*Sometimes* I get tempted to play on GetClub, for the simple reason
that I completely suck at chess. In my entire life I have probably
played chess about 10 times in total (and that actually may be an
over-estimate). And those were against my sister when we were
children. I *sometimes* get tempted, because I know my own personal
rating would be 1500 and it'd be interesting to see if I could
beat it.

If you've only played ten games in your life and none since you
reached adulthood, I'd be surprised if your rating was over 1000.
GetClub would almost certainly beat you.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Mentholated Strange Wine (TM): it's
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ like a vintage Beaujolais but it's
Old September 23rd 08, 02:53 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer
ave ave is offline

If you've only played ten games in your life and none since you
reached adulthood, I'd be surprised if your rating was over 1000.
GetClub would almost certainly beat you.

I'm sure it would, and yeah my actual rating would be awful. It's just
curiosity that tempts me to try but everything else puts me off.

Old September 23rd 08, 03:18 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

ave wrote:
David Richerby wrote:
If you've only played ten games in your life and none since you
reached adulthood, I'd be surprised if your rating was over 1000.
GetClub would almost certainly beat you.

I'm sure it would, and yeah my actual rating would be awful. It's
just curiosity that tempts me to try but everything else puts me
off.

I'd sate that curiosity by playing against one of the other weak, free
engines that have been mentioned here. Or by buying an old version of
Chessmaster for a few currency units and playing against that. Either
option would be much more fun for you and, in the case of Chessmaster,
would even give you some tutorials to go through. :-)

Dave.

--
David Richerby Transparent Widget (TM): it's like a
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ thingy but you can see right through

Old September 24th 08, 07:49 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default Bug removed

Just for further proof that the ratings you suggest for your program
are completely false (as if any more were needed), I submit this game
between your Beginner level (which you recently claimed was "2250+")
and "Lacey", a personality from Chessmaster 9000 who plays instantly
and is rated approximately 1350 USCF.

Lacey's rating was calculated using hundreds of games against humans,
and thousands of games against other Chessmaster personalities. It is
one of the most accurate ratings in the game.

Sorry, there was a bug when that game was played.

In the next game which was played after the bug removed, I find Easy
Level win the game easily.

GetClub was a Rook up in the opening itself.

Game Played between JVMerlino and easy at GetClub.com

JVMerlino: (Black)
easy: (White)
View Recorded Game: http://www.getclub.com/playgame.php?...733&game=Chess

White -- Black
(easy) -- (JVMerlino)

1. e2-e4{0} e7-e6{8}
2. d2-d4{0} d7-d5{4}
3. Nb1-d2{0} Ng8-f6{12}
4. e4-e5{0} Nf6-e4{8}
5. Nd2-e4{28} d5-e4{14}
6. Bc1-e3{46} Bf8-b4{14}
7. c2-c3{88} Bb4-e7{16}
8. Qd1-g4{46} Ke8-g8{20}
9. Be3-h6{48} g7-g6{14}
10. Bh6-f8{54} Qd8-f8{12}
11. Qg4-e4{36} f7-f5{12}
12. e5-f6{20} Be7-f6{14}
13. Bf1-c4{42} Qf8-d6{16}
14. Ng1-e2{42} Qd6-c6{42}
15. d4-d5{80} Qc6-b6{14}
16. d5-e6{94} Bf6-e7{12}
17. b2-b3{24} Qb6-c6{32}
18. Bc4-d5{66} Qc6-b5{14}
19. Qe4-c4{94} Qb5-c4{158}
20. Bd5-c4{0} Nb8-c6{10}
21. Ke1-g1{36} Nc6-e5{14}
22. Ne2-d4{56} Ne5-c4{20}
23. b3-c4{26} c7-c5{10}
24. Nd4-b5{28} Bc8-e6{18}
25. Nb5-c7{22} Be6-c4{12}
26. Rf1-e1{260} Ra8-d8{38}
27. Re1-e7{22} Bc4-a2{20}
28. Re7-e8{86} Rd8-e8{16}
29. Nc7-e8{58} Kg8-f8{36}
30. Ra1-a2{20} Kf8-e8{14}
31. Ra2-a7{22} b7-b5{8}
32. Ra7-h7{24} g6-g5{16}
33. g2-g4{96} Ke8-f8{12}
34. Rh7-h5{26} b5-b4{18}
35. c3-b4{22} c5-b4{6}
36. f2-f3{30} b4-b3{18}
37. Rh5-g5{64} b3-b2{8}
38. Rg5-b5{26} Kf8-f7{38}
39. Rb5-b2{28} Kf7-g6{14}
40. f3-f4{86} Kg6-f6{10}
41. g4-g5{24} Kf6-f5{12}
42. Rb2-b4{44} Kf5-g6{10}
43. Kg1-g2{32} Kg6-f5{16}
44. h2-h3{86} Kf5-g6{12}
45. Kg2-g3{40} Kg6-f5{8}
46. h3-h4{92} Kf5-g6{8}
47. Kg3-g4{76} Kg6-f7{12}
48. h4-h5{104} Kf7-g7{8}
49. f4-f5{32}
JVMerlino: (Black)
easy: (White)
View Recorded Game: http://www.getclub.com/playgame.php?...733&game=Chess

So You now have to increase the level to win against the Easy Level.

Bye
Sanny

Old September 24th 08, 09:48 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On Sep 23, 3:27*pm, "ave" wrote:
I'm sure it will be improved twice over very soon so that it's rating is
2k+. ;(

Yes, you are correct today Opening & Middle games were improved by
adding a few new rules. And it will be harder to break advantage in
Opening & Middle game at GetClub.

*Sometimes* I get tempted to play onGetClub, for the simple reason that I
completely suck atchess. In my entire life I have probably playedchess
about 10 times in total (and that actually may be an over-estimate). And
those were against my sister when we were children. I *sometimes* get
tempted, because I know my own personal rating would be 1500 and it'd be
interesting to see if I could beat it.

Its nice to know that you are able to find problems in the game
interface.

Please list Top 5 Problems you face at GetClub And I will try to see
that the problem is corrected as far as possible.

Bye
Sanny

Old September 24th 08, 10:42 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer
ave ave is offline

Please list Top 5 Problems you face at GetClub And I will try to see
that the problem is corrected as far as possible.

As I said befo

Top 5 Problems:

1) Website is awful, needs a complete redesign by a professional.

I haven't got any further to add more, because I simply close the webbrowser
as soon as I see the website. If you had a nice, clean, inviting website I
would probably try it. But it isn't.

ave

Old September 24th 08, 01:18 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

ave wrote:
1) Website is awful, needs a complete redesign by a professional.

A complete redesign by anyone with more than a third of a clue
wouldn't hurt.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Erotic Wine (TM): it's like a vintage
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ Beaujolais but it's genuinely erotic!
Old September 24th 08, 08:56 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On Sep 23, 11:49*pm, Sanny wrote:
Just for further proof that the ratings you suggest for your program
are completely false (as if any more were needed), I submit this game
between your Beginner level (which you recently claimed was "2250+")
and "Lacey", a personality from Chessmaster 9000 who plays instantly
and is rated approximately 1350 USCF.

Lacey's rating was calculated using hundreds of games against humans,
and thousands of games against other Chessmaster personalities. It is
one of the most accurate ratings in the game.

Sorry, there was a bug when that game was played.

In the next game which was played after the bug removed, I find Easy
Level win the game easily.

GetClub was a Rook up in the opening itself.

Not surprising, Sanny, that you responded to the wrong thread. This is
the thread about Beginner getting crushed by a 1350 rated engine, not
the one about Easy crashing just before beating that same engine.

But, whatever.... I have absolutely no interest in continuing the
game. Lacey was going to lose if Easy hadn't crashed. Simple.

However, since you mention it, you have once again shown how clueless
you are about chess. Easy was DEFINITELY NOT "a Rook up in the
opening". It was up an EXCHANGE (or, to be the most accurate, up an
exchange and a pawn).

Please, oh please, try to learn just a little about chess.

jm