Old September 29th 08, 02:24 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default ChessEngine-FICS Connection

Hello all!

I'm tunning the Crafty chess engine to try to improve the evaluation
function. Since I need to test each chess engine i develop, I'd like
to connect my chess engine with FICS server and challenge other
computer players. I know I can create a computer account in FICS and I
know xBoard/WinBoard can be used as interface ChessEngine-FICS. Could
you suggest me what is the easiest way to carry out this connection
(crafty-FICS)?

Thanks in advance
Old September 30th 08, 08:43 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Thanks for the answer Michael, I know Arena software, but I need a
more flexible solution. Imagine that you are creating (automatically
by code) a lot of different chess engines, and you'd like to connect
them to FICS (one by one with the same account), play several matches
and take the results. Is there any way to do it with Arena? Do I need
to modify the code of an existing software (icsdrone, xboard,...) ?

Thanks in advance

On 30 sep, 08:06, "Michael Diosi" wrote:
Hi,

Arena 1.1. It's free ! Also soon in Arena 2.0 !

Best,
Michael
Web:http://www.playwitharena.com
Mind the Base. *Join the Arena .

"johnny_t" schrieb im aweb.com...

wrote:
Hello all!

I'm tunning the Crafty chess engine to try to improve the evaluation
function. Since I need to test each chess engine i develop, I'd like
to connect my chess engine with *FICS server and challenge other
computer players. I know I can create a computer account in FICS and I
know xBoard/WinBoard can be used as interface ChessEngine-FICS. Could
you suggest me what is the easiest way to carry out this connection
(crafty-FICS)?

Thanks in advance

Or...

You could, you know, buy a used copy of fritz 10 for a couple of bucks,
and play engine matches till your face turns blue.

Old September 30th 08, 11:06 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

wrote:
Thanks for the answer Michael, I know Arena software, but I need a
more flexible solution. Imagine that you are creating (automatically
by code) a lot of different chess engines, and you'd like to connect
them to FICS (one by one with the same account), play several matches
and take the results. Is there any way to do it with Arena? Do I need
to modify the code of an existing software (icsdrone, xboard,...) ?

Can't you just use a script to call Arena/icsdrone/xboard/whatever
with the appropriate parameters?

But this doesn't seem like a good way to determine the strengths of
these different engine versions, unless you're proposing to play
several tens of games with each version.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Carnivorous Tool (TM): it's like
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ a handy household tool but it eats

Old October 1st 08, 06:42 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On 30 sep, 12:06, David Richerby
Thanks for the answer Michael, I know Arena software, but I need a
more flexible solution. Imagine that you are creating (automatically
by code) a lot of different chess engines, and you'd like to connect
them to FICS (one by one with the same account), play several matches
and take the results. Is there any way to do it with Arena? Do I need
to modify the code of an existing software (icsdrone, xboard,...) ?

Can't you just use a script to call Arena/icsdrone/xboard/whatever
with the appropriate parameters?

It would be a very complex script. So that I prefer modify the code of
any existing open source middleware.

But this doesn't seem like a good way to determine the strengths of
these different engine versions, unless you're proposing to play
several tens of games with each version.

I' ve thought two ways: "local" training and final remote (FICS)
validation (of course with tens of games), or directly "remote"
training (FICS), learning by playing with other computer players.

Alberto C.

Dave.