Old October 21st 08, 10:23 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer
Vas Vas is offline

Default Weak engine?

In looking for a free engine with ELO 2000.
I'm not a very good player and it's boaring to play with 2800 ELO
programs!
I prefer a weak engine than a slow down good one: I'm not looking for
"blunder" but for "porro chess knoledge" :-)

Thanx
Old October 21st 08, 11:00 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Vas wrote:
In looking for a free engine with ELO 2000.
I'm not a very good player and it's boaring to play with 2800 ELO
programs!
I prefer a weak engine than a slow down good one: I'm not looking for
"blunder" but for "porro chess knoledge" :-)

There are quite a few free ones that play modest strength games. Comet
and some others by enthusiasts are available free on the CB website.
Turing is amusing for historical reasons but exceedingly slow to play
against.

http://www.chessbase.com/download/

Select "Engines" from the list box. There are lots of other free ones
about. And most of the strong programs can be toned down to about 1000
ELO points below their nominal rating wth varying degrees of success.

Chessmaster is very customisable with personalities down to weaker
levels if you can live with its cluttered GUI and incredibly annoying
nagware copy protection.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old October 21st 08, 02:24 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer
Vas Vas is offline

On 21 Ott, 12:00, Martin Brown
wrote:
Vas wrote:
[...]

How can I choose between them?
I mean, where I can find info about the engines?

Thanx again
Old October 21st 08, 03:11 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Martin Brown wrote:
most of the strong programs can be toned down to about 1000 ELO
points below their nominal rating wth varying degrees of success.

Problem is that a lot of them seem to do this by playing like a
grandmaster who keeps saying, `Oh, damn, sorry. You were paying me
to lose and here was I beating you. Here, have another piece.'

Dave.

--
David Richerby Simple Unholy Apple (TM): it's like
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ a tasty fruit but it's also a crime
Old October 21st 08, 04:51 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On 21 Oct 2008 15:11:36 +0100 (BST), David Richerby
wrote:

Martin Brown wrote:
most of the strong programs can be toned down to about 1000 ELO
points below their nominal rating wth varying degrees of success.

Problem is that a lot of them seem to do this by playing like a
grandmaster who keeps saying, `Oh, damn, sorry. You were paying me
to lose and here was I beating you. Here, have another piece.'

Dave.

I find that playing a weak engine gives a much more realistic game
than a dumbed down version of a strong engine. They don't exhibit
that "play for a GM like 10 moves then drop a piece" mentality,
instead they miss complicated tactics and make strategically poor
moves, like a weaker human player would.

Tony

Old October 21st 08, 04:55 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 06:24:36 -0700 (PDT), Vas
wrote:

On 21 Ott, 12:00, Martin Brown
wrote:
Vas wrote:
[...]

http://wbec-ridderkerk.nl would be a good place to start. There is a
rating list on that site, as well as download links and info pages for
many weak engines. Although that site concentrates more on Winboard
than UCI engines, it does list both types.

http://pagesperso-orange.fr/lefoudur...is/uci/uel.htm is another
decent list of engines, all of the engines there are UCI, and will run
under Chessbase if that's what you use as your interface.

Tony
Old October 21st 08, 05:15 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default GetClub Baby Level plays weaker than 2000

In looking for a free engine with ELO 2000.
I'm not a very good player and it's boaring to play with 2800 ELO
programs!
I prefer a weak engine than a slow down good one: I'm not looking for
"blunder" but for *"porro chess knoledge" :-)

GetClub Baby Level plays weaker than 2000

Play Chess at: http://www.GetClub.com/Ches.html

Baby level is very weak and plays in 2 sec / move. I think you that
will match your skills. It is free to play 120 games at GetClub. And
you earn points for winning games.

Then there are handicap levels without knight/ bishop/ rook / Queen.
You may try playing those levels if your rating is below 1500.

However if you are above 1500 then Baby lever is a good Choice.

Many players play with Baby level it is fast and very exciting to win
against the Baby Level.

Bye
Sanny

Play Chess at: http://www.GetClub.com/Ches.html

Old October 21st 08, 07:07 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer
Vas Vas is offline

GetClub Baby Level plays weaker than 2000

I'm looking for an engine /UIC or Winboard), not a online site.
Thanx