Old November 5th 08, 11:13 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,misc.legal

Default New York Times Reports: Chess Federation Says E-Mail Was Filched

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/05/cr...s/05chess.html

Chess Federation Says E-Mail Was Filched

By DYLAN LOEB MCCLAIN
Published: November 4, 2008

The United States Chess Federation, the nation’s governing body for
the game, has sued one of its board members, claiming she unlawfully
gained access to e-mail between some members of the board and a lawyer
hired to investigate accusations against her and her husband.

The lawsuit stems from a running battle in which the aggression of
elite-level chess play has manifested itself in the struggle over
control of the federation.

In October 2007, the board member, Susan Polgar, and her husband and
fellow board member, Paul Truong, were sued by Samuel H. Sloan, a
former board member. He accused Ms. Polgar and Mr. Truong of posting
thousands of remarks in his name, many defamatory or obscene, on
public Internet bulletin boards over a two-year period in an effort to
win election to the board.

Ms. Polgar, a former women’s world champion who works for Texas Tech
University, and Mr. Truong were elected and Mr. Sloan was defeated.
Ms. Polgar and Mr. Truong have denied writing the posts in Mr. Sloan’s
name.

Mr. Sloan’s suit was dismissed in August by Judge Denny Chin of
Federal District Court in Manhattan, who ruled that the court lacked
“subject matter jurisdiction.” Mr. Sloan has appealed.

While Mr. Sloan’s lawsuit was pending, the federation’s board created
a subcommittee to investigate the suit’s claims, and it hired Karl S.
Kronenberger, a lawyer in San Francisco, to oversee the investigation.
The investigation concluded that Mr. Truong was responsible for the
posts.

In June, Ms. Polgar, in e-mail messages to the board and on her chess
forum Web site, quoted from confidential e-mail messages between Mr.
Kronenberger and the subcommittee. In one message, Mr. Kronenberger
outlined legal strategies, and stated, “We want to put Truong in a
position where he has an incentive to resign from the board, and
indeed does resign from the board.”

Ms. Polgar and Mr. Truong have denied intercepting the messages,
saying that Ms. Polgar found them on the Internet.

The lawsuit was originally filed in June in San Francisco Superior
Court, citing unknown people as defendants. The federation amended the
suit on Oct. 24, naming Ms. Polgar and Gregory Alexander, who has
managed Ms. Polgar’s chess discussion Web site. The amended suit said
that records turned over by Internet service providers showed that Ms.
Polgar’s and Mr. Alexander’s Internet protocol addresses were used to
gain access to the e-mail.

The suit seeks more than $1 million and an injunction to stop Ms.
Polgar and Mr. Alexander from unlawfully accessing e-mail accounts of
the federation and its employees.

Ms. Polgar was out of the country, but her husband wrote in an e-mail
message on Monday that the latest suit was part of a “vicious
political witch hunt” by the federation against him and his wife. Mr.
Alexander declined to comment.

In August, Ms. Polgar filed a lawsuit in Lubbock, Tex., against the
federation, four of its board members and other members of the
federation in which she claimed libel, slander and business
disparagement. She is asking for $25 million.
Old November 5th 08, 11:55 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,misc.legal

samsloan wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/05/cr...s/05chess.html

Chess Federation Says E-Mail Was Filched

By DYLAN LOEB MCCLAIN
Published: November 4, 2008

The United States Chess Federation, the nation’s governing body for
the game, has sued one of its board members, claiming she unlawfully
gained access to e-mail between some members of the board and a lawyer
hired to investigate accusations against her and her husband..........

..........Ms. Polgar was out of the country, but her husband wrote in an e-mail
message on Monday that the latest suit was part of a “vicious
political witch hunt” by the federation against him and his wife. Mr.
Alexander declined to comment.

The witch hunt theory is wearing rather thin, especially in the light of
ISP and other records. I hope Polgar returns soon so that she can give
sworn deposition testimony in the San Francisco action along with hubby
Hoainhan.

..

Old November 5th 08, 05:29 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,misc.legal

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/05/cr...s/05chess.html

Chess Federation Says E-Mail Was Filched

I have been all over New York City this morning trying to buy a copy
of the New York Times that contains an article with me in it.

I cannot find the New York Times for sale any where. It is completely
sold out. Thus is because the article about the USCF, Polgar and me is
so popular.
Old November 5th 08, 06:00 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,misc.legal

samsloan wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/05/cr...s/05chess.html

Chess Federation Says E-Mail Was Filched

I have been all over New York City this morning trying to buy a copy
of the New York Times that contains an article with me in it.

What an asshole.

I cannot find the New York Times for sale any where. It is completely
sold out.

Sold out because there is important news about Sam Sloan in it, no doubt.

Old November 5th 08, 06:18 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,misc.legal
Rob Rob is offline

On Nov 5, 12:00*pm, Jürgen R. wrote:
samsloan wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/05/cr...s/05chess.html

Chess Federation Says E-Mail Was Filched

I have been all over New York City this morning trying to buy a copy
of the New York Times that contains an article with me in it.

What an asshole.

I cannot find the New York Times for sale any where. It is completely
sold out.

Sold out because there is important news about Sam Sloan in it, no doubt.

An obituary,no doubt?

Thus is because the article about the USCF, Polgar and me is
so popular.- Hide quoted text -

Old November 5th 08, 06:45 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,misc.legal

samsloan wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/05/cr...s/05chess.html

Chess Federation Says E-Mail Was Filched

I have been all over New York City this morning trying to buy a copy
of the New York Times that contains an article with me in it.

I cannot find the New York Times for sale any where. It is completely
sold out. Thus is because the article about the USCF, Polgar and me is
so popular.

LOL. Yeah, nobody cares much about that election yesterday. I feel
like I've awakened from and 8 year long nightmare.
Old November 5th 08, 08:45 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,misc.legal

On Nov 5, 12:29*pm, samsloan wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/05/cr...s/05chess.html

Chess Federation Says E-Mail Was Filched

I have been all over New York City this morning trying to buy a copy
of the New York Times that contains an article with me in it.

I cannot find the New York Times for sale any where. It is completely
sold out. Thus is because the article about the USCF, Polgar and me is
so popular.

I cannot find the New York Times for sale any where. It is completely
sold out. Thus is because the article about the USCF, Polgar and me is
so popular.

ROTFLMFAO
Of the election results pale where Scammy's ego is involved.

Old November 5th 08, 11:36 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,nyc.politics,rec.games.chess.computer,misc.legal

On Nov 5, 12:29*pm, samsloan wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/05/cr...s/05chess.html

Chess Federation Says E-Mail Was Filched

I have been all over New York City this morning trying to buy a copy
of the New York Times that contains an article with me in it.

I cannot find the New York Times for sale any where. It is completely
sold out. Thus is because the article about the USCF, Polgar and me is
so popular.

I am not joking. It was amazing.

An article was published today on page A32 of The New York Times about
me running for President of the United States

chess federation and there was such a tremendous interest in the
article that all of New York City was sold out. After searching all of
the Bronx I went to Mid-Town Manhattan expecting surely to find one
there, but finding none I went to the New York Times Building on
Eighth Avenue opposite Port Authority Bus Terminal.

There I found several thousand people standing in line just waiting to
buy the issue of the New York Times with me in it. The line went all
the way around the building. I waited in line for two hours. We were
told that an extra 40,000 copies were being printed just for us chess
players and chess enthusiasts.

Finally, I got to the front on the line. I bought five copies.This was
about 5:30 PM The lady in line behind me bought ten copies. She said
that she had been trying to buy the New York Times since 7:00 that
morning. She lives in Brooklyn and they were sold out there by 6:30
AM, so she had come from Brooklyn to the New York Times Building just
to buy the issue of the New York Times with me in it.

At the front of the line there was a TV Camera Crew from Channel 2
News (which features Katie Couric). This TV crew was there just to
take pictures of me buying the New York Times with an article about me
in it.

So, if anyone ever tries to tell you that the general public has no
interest in chess, this situation provides proof that there is great
interest in chess every time a major news article appears in the press
about it.

Old November 6th 08, 07:29 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,misc.legal

On Nov 5, 10:00 am, Jürgen R. wrote:
[predictable garbage]

Jürgen R. is dumber than Sanny's chess engine.

----
Wlod
Old November 6th 08, 07:41 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,misc.legal

Wlodzimierz Holsztynski (Wlod) wrote:
On Nov 5, 10:00 am, Jürgen R. wrote:
[predictable garbage]

Jürgen R. is dumber than Sanny's chess engine.

But not dumber than Clodimir Stinkovsky.

----
Wlod