Old November 6th 08, 04:26 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc

Default recycling computers for chess

I've got eight Dell computers, vintage 2002-2004, sitting on my
windowsill. They would need new hard drives (we didn't want to worry
about NSA-quality reformatting to remove all traces of client info, so
we just yanked & physicallly destroyed).

Two reasonable possibilities:

1) call recycling guy

2) buy & install new hard drives, load Linux / reload XP, load chess
playing/database freeware, and donate to a chess 501(c)(3)
organization for youth

I am well aware that the value of the computers themselves is
nominal. But I'm thinking that if they're set up for kids to play/
study chess, they're likely to be used for that purpose.

If I go with #2, what is out there for Linux?

I'd be willing to spend a little bit on software if the cost per
machine is nominal.

I would assume that the XP license goes with the box, not the hard
drive, but don't know if I can track down all the old CDs.

TIA,
Old November 6th 08, 07:58 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc

SCID (http://scid.sourceforge.net/)is good for a database; it still
seems to be the best free database out there, and it's being
maintained again.

I use Crafty as my engine, but I haven't really looked in a while to
see what else is available. You might look at the list at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_engine

-ed g.

--
Caissa have mercy on a miserable patzer: http://altergoniff.blogspot.com