Old November 7th 08, 07:11 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess

Default Larry Kaufman in clear First in World Senior Championship

International Master Larry Kaufman of Maryland is leading the World
Senior Championship niow taking place in Bad Zwischenahn, Germany.

http://www.seniorenschach.de/Listen2...n-Paar-R11.HTM

After ten rounds of play, Kaufman leads with 8 1/2 points. There are
four players with 8.

Only one round remains. In the last round, Kaufman has white against
Alexander Zakharov. If Kaufman wins, he is World Senior Champion. Even
if he only draws, that guarantees at least a tie for first.

There are nine grandmasters in the tournament. If Kaufman wins, he is
automatically awarded the grandmaster title.

Old November 8th 08, 01:47 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess

On Nov 7, 2:11*pm, samsloan wrote:
International Master Larry Kaufman of Maryland is leading the World
Senior Championship niow taking place in Bad Zwischenahn, Germany.

http://www.seniorenschach.de/Listen2...n-Paar-R11.HTM

After ten rounds of play, Kaufman leads with 8 1/2 points. There are
four players with 8.

Only one round remains. In the last round, Kaufman has white against
Alexander Zakharov. If Kaufman wins, he is World Senior Champion. Even
if he only draws, that guarantees at least a tie for first.

There are nine grandmasters in the tournament. If Kaufman wins, he is
automatically awarded the grandmaster title.

Sam Sloan

And he has knocked off 4 Grandmasters in a row during this run.
Old November 8th 08, 07:19 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics

And he has knocked off 4 Grandmasters in a row during this run.

Anyone who can get four Grandmasters pregnant in a fortnight deserves
to win the title.
Old November 8th 08, 02:11 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess

On Nov 7, 2:11*pm, samsloan wrote:
International Master Larry Kaufman of Maryland is leading the World
Senior Championship niow taking place in Bad Zwischenahn, Germany.

http://www.seniorenschach.de/Listen2...n-Paar-R11.HTM

After ten rounds of play, Kaufman leads with 8 1/2 points. There are
four players with 8.

Only one round remains. In the last round, Kaufman has white against
Alexander Zakharov. If Kaufman wins, he is World Senior Champion. Even
if he only draws, that guarantees at least a tie for first.

There are nine grandmasters in the tournament. If Kaufman wins, he is
automatically awarded the grandmaster title.

Sam Sloan

Kaufman drew and it looks to me Suba has an easy win.They will tie for
1st and Suba's tie-breaks going into this round was slightly better.
Old November 8th 08, 02:20 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess

In the last round, Kaufman agreed to a 16 move draw, thereby
guaranteeing at least a tie for first.

Uhlmann lost but is seem that Suba is winning or has won, so Kaufman
and Suba have tied for first with 9-2 each.

I do not know how ties are broken. I do not know if a tie for first
gives Kaufman the grandmaster title.

Sam Sloan

Old November 8th 08, 03:08 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess

On Nov 8, 9:20*am, samsloan wrote:
In the last round, Kaufman agreed to a 16 move draw, thereby
guaranteeing at least a tie for first.

Uhlmann lost but is seem that Suba is winning or has won, so Kaufman
and Suba have tied for first with 9-2 each.

I do not know how ties are broken. I do not know if a tie for first
gives Kaufman the grandmaster title.

Sam Sloan

The rules state about tie-breaks, "If two or more players are tied,
the sum of progressive scores."

Unfortunately, Suba was a half point ahead of Kaufman during three of
the early rounds, so I believe that Suba wins on tie-breaks, assuming
that he wins his last round game.

Old November 8th 08, 03:35 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess

On Nov 8, 10:08*am, samsloan wrote:
On Nov 8, 9:20*am, samsloan wrote:

In the last round, Kaufman agreed to a 16 move draw, thereby
guaranteeing at least a tie for first.

Uhlmann lost but is seem that Suba is winning or has won, so Kaufman
and Suba have tied for first with 9-2 each.

I do not know how ties are broken. I do not know if a tie for first
gives Kaufman the grandmaster title.

Sam Sloan

The rules state about tie-breaks, "If two or more players are tied,
the sum of progressive scores."

Unfortunately, Suba was a half point ahead of Kaufman during three of
the early rounds, so I believe that Suba wins on tie-breaks, assuming
that he wins his last round game.

Sam Sloan

After 65.Ke5 66.f4+ gxf4 67.Qxf4 Mates for Suba. His opponent must
have resigned as there has been no moves posted for a while now. Still
a great achievement for Larry Kaufman. Hope he gets the GM Titile.
Old November 9th 08, 06:02 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess

It has been announced that Larry Kaufman won the World Senior
Championship on tie-breaking points, after being tied with Mikhail
Suba of Romania.

http://www.seniorenschach.de/en/index.php

I certainly am glad that my friend Kaufman won. However, when I
calculated the tie-breaking points, my friend Suba came out one point
ahead.

Would somebody explain how the tie-breaking system works?

This easily explains why Kaufman took a quick draw with White in the
last round.