Old November 9th 08, 05:10 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default In a game of random chess is there less opportunity to draw ?

I am starting to like random chess..

white set up is

A-I-Bishop
B-I-King
C-I-Knight
D-I-Queen
E-I-Rook
F-I-Rook
G-I-Knight
H-I-Bishop

Black set up is

A-8-Rook
B-8-Knight
C-8-Knight
D-8-Queen
E-8-King
F-8-Rook
G-8-Bishop
H-8-Bishop

All pawns in same squares..

NO , castling to make the game even harder.

Anyone want to play my Ivan this game ? Man against machine ..
Or anyone want to play computer vs computer at this set up ?

My question is ..

Would there be less draws in games if they were random like this ?

If no one wants to play this game vs Ivan then i will ...Looking at the
set up the white has the advantage in my opinion ..I will be white..

I thought id win the other games too and i lost. ha ha.....Ivan thinks
hard from move one since there is no opining book ....

Old November 9th 08, 11:04 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

* SAT W-7 (06:10) schrieb:

Would there be less draws in games if they were random like this ?

Surely. It's unfair.

mfg, simon .... l
Old November 10th 08, 08:51 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

How is it unfair , it was all random....

Old November 10th 08, 10:21 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

* SAT W-7 (09:51) schrieb:

How is it unfair , it was all random....

I think I explained that before.

The unfairness comes after the random. Once the pieces are randomly
picked, one side's pieces are better placed.

Adding chance to chess perverts the hole game.

mfg, simon .... l
Old November 10th 08, 04:56 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

I respectfully disagree with you ...

Under my rules it is fair ....

However the pieces come up is how they come up.

You want to play my Ivan and you be white ?

Hey , how is your chess program coming along ? You can test it vs
Ivan ..

In the Ivan vs GC games i have played , i can tell they are about even
in strength + it seems GC has a little stronger middle game but Ivan
has a little stronger end game .......
GC seems to play better as white too ..

I mite play the game out if i can not find some one to play it or if no
one wants to play this game computer vs computer ..

I mite record the game too , i have never recorded a game in my life ..

Old November 11th 08, 03:08 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

* SAT W-7 (17:56) schrieb:

I respectfully disagree with you ...

Under my rules it is fair ....

Yeah, fair as a lottery is fair.

The fact about a lottery is that it's over once the random did its job.
In your game I still have to play a lost game. Where's the fun in that?

Every other variant of chess I know has as much symmetry as possible for
both the sides. What is your reason to drop that?

You want to play my Ivan and you be white ?

Hey , how is your chess program coming along ? You can test it vs
Ivan ..

Unfortunately it's still where it was 2 months ago and not able to play
any kind of game.

In the Ivan vs GC games i have played , i can tell they are about even
in strength + it seems GC has a little stronger middle game but Ivan
has a little stronger end game .......
GC seems to play better as white too ..

Well, my Finalfun aimlessly pushes pawns forward as white, which is much
better than the pointless forth and back moving of a rook it does as black.

I mite play the game out if i can not find some one to play it or if no
one wants to play this game computer vs computer ..

I don't want to play a chess variant with an up front lottery built in.

I mite record the game too, i have never recorded a game in my life ..

Isn't every player in a tournament forced to do that?

mfg, simon .... l
Old November 11th 08, 05:59 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

I have never played in a tournament before . I have never recorded a
game ..How good of a player do you think i am ? ha ha ha.....

Why not play me and i will take black , i see problems for white both
bishops aiming at the A-2 and B-2 squares and both Knights B-8 and C-8
....ready to attack the white king..

Yes i know GC pushes pawns but sometimes my Ivan which is a commercial
chess program from Excalibur has problems dealing with them.

I have tried to get HELPBOT to play Ivan but he does not want too , he
would rather play GC..

As for the pieces being symetrical , i just find it more exciting to
put the pieces in a bag and take tongs and pull them out one at a time
and how ever they come out is how i play ..Of course the bishops go on
different colors ..An no castling to make the game that much harder.

I have had ivan for years and lost so many games to it , i have only won
one game on the strongest level and lost 400 + games ..
It has a hand full of features that i have never used before so i
decided to use the one where i can set up individual pieces , and it was
easy so then i started thinking about a game of random chess and doing
it my way , and i find it exciting to play ..After awhile the novelty
will wear off but for now i like it ....

Old November 14th 08, 05:43 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Lets start a new game with GetClub Beginner(10 sec / move) vs Ivan 80
sec / move.

Bye
Sanny

Old November 14th 08, 01:58 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Sanny writes:

Lets start a new game with GetClub Beginner(10 sec / move) vs Ivan 80
sec / move.

I have a different idea. Lets start a game with GetClub Advance level
vs glaurung (2 sec / move). If you want to you can even create a
"super advance level" that thinks say 12 hours / move. That should
make an interesting game I think.

Glaurung will not think on the opponents time, and GetClub can have
the white pieces.

--
Peter Osterlund -
http://web.telia.com/~u89404340
Old November 14th 08, 03:19 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Lets start a new game with GetClub Beginner(10 sec / move) vs Ivan 80
sec / move.

I have a different idea. Lets start a game with GetClub Advance level
vs glaurung (2 sec / move).

Advance takes 40 min / move. I think Master level will be a better
option. Master Level thinks just 10 min / move.

If you want to you can even create a
"super advance level" that thinks say 12 hours / move. That should
make an interesting game I think.

Glaurung will not think on the opponents time, and GetClub can have
the white pieces.

I am sure GetClub will win such a game 2 sec is very small time. Does
Glaurung uses 4 cpu power when working on Quad core? In that case it
is actually thinking 2 * 4 = 8 sec/ move.

Last month GetClub was improved a lot So GetClub Master Level will
give good Challenge to Glaurung

Bye
Sanny