Old November 13th 08, 08:11 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default Looking for a Palm chess program

I have a Palm Tungsten E2.
I'm running the free version of Chess Tiger.
Can anyone recomend a good chess program for the Palm.
Should I buy one or stick with the demo?

Thanks

Old November 13th 08, 03:03 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

In article [email protected], Duncan Rice
writes
I have a Palm Tungsten E2.
I'm running the free version of Chess Tiger.
Can anyone recomend a good chess program for the Palm.
Should I buy one or stick with the demo?

Thanks

Try www.hiarcs.com for the Palm Hiarcs program - it has beaten 3 GMs,
most recently 2540 rated Popovic by 3.5-0.5

Cheers - Eric
--
Eric Hallsworth, Countrywide Computers, Victoria House, 1 High Street,
Wilburton, Cambs CB6 3RB. Tel: 01353 740323
Old November 13th 08, 04:20 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

"Eric Hallsworth" wrote in message
news In article [email protected], Duncan Rice
writes
I have a Palm Tungsten E2.
I'm running the free version of Chess Tiger.
Can anyone recomend a good chess program for the Palm.
Should I buy one or stick with the demo?

Thanks

Try www.hiarcs.com for the Palm Hiarcs program - it has beaten 3 GMs,
most recently 2540 rated Popovic by 3.5-0.5

Cheers - Eric
--
Eric Hallsworth, Countrywide Computers, Victoria House, 1 High Street,
Wilburton, Cambs CB6 3RB. Tel: 01353 740323
Website for Chess & Bridge Computers & Softwa
http://www.countrywidecomputers.co.uk

Thanks. I was also looking at that one. I have found the demos play poorly
after a few moves. I'm running Open Chess right now and will likely pick up
HIARCS.

Old November 13th 08, 04:43 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

In article [email protected], Duncan Rice
writes

"Eric Hallsworth" wrote in message
news In article [email protected], Duncan Rice
writes
I have a Palm Tungsten E2.
I'm running the free version of Chess Tiger.
Can anyone recomend a good chess program for the Palm.
Should I buy one or stick with the demo?

Thanks

Try www.hiarcs.com for the Palm Hiarcs program - it has beaten 3 GMs,
most recently 2540 rated Popovic by 3.5-0.5

Cheers - Eric

The demos play poorly but are designed just to give an idea of
appearance and potential - full power is released when you make the
purchase :-)

Cheers - Eric
Old November 13th 08, 05:19 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

[...]

Thanks. Just purchased HIARCS. Waiting on the registration code and looking
forward to it!

Duncan

Old November 14th 08, 04:50 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Let us know how you like it ...

Old November 15th 08, 01:54 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

So far it's quite nice. I'm playing through the instant sparring levels.
They are quite poor playing blunders, hanging pieces, and losing in minutes.
I see on the HIARCS site that the instant sparring levels go up to ELO 1250.
That's not of any value to play really. However, when I set standard time
controls 40/120 - 20/60 I can see its power. It should play around 2506 on
my machine. I've also just installed the massive tournament book, which I
look forwad to playing. After playing through the instant sparring levels
I'll start setting its ELO, which can be set between 1350 and 2000, and see
where it stops me. I think this will allow me to find a level where I will
benefit.

Things I would like to see.
Documentation!!! Why isn't there a .pdf file online with instructions? There
are features that I would like to read about rather than mess around with
and guess what they do.
Opening practice!!! There is a feature that will show you book moves.
However, I prefer Open Chess because it announces the name of the openning.

Overall I really like it. It's far stronger than I will ever need. The huge
book and strength make it worthwhile. Mind you, at my level of play it
probably doesn't matter what engine I run. I'll be able to get rid of my ten
year old Kasperov 2100 now.

Old November 15th 08, 06:30 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Hey play those two computers against each other just to see which one
wins , i know the Palm will win but any computer with Kasporovs name on
it mite fight hard to win.....

HIARCS is the one id get too if i had a real computer ..

I mite look in to getting a Palm ..

I have thought about up grading my Excalibur machine to the GM one they
have , estimated
2200 ELO .....Their products are pretty good looking ..It is a table top
game , not one that you can take with you ..Well you can take it but you
know what i mean ..Just wish it was a little stronger elo ..I can not
beat it but i like playing computer vs computer ....

Thank for your review ...

by the way what store sells the plam ?

Circut City ?

Old November 15th 08, 11:59 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

That was my issue with the Kasparov 2100. It's too big to stick in my
pocket. When I put it in my book/work pack the pieces rattle around so the
game is lost unless I want to spend the time figuring where they go back. If
I can carry something around I have ChessMaster and Fritz on my laptop. I
may keep the Kasparov 2100 on my desk with a game going. Can't believe it's
10+ years old. Still quite a strong machine. Too big though.

The palm is an older Tungsten E2. It's previous owner wasn't getting any use
out of it and gave it to me.

Old November 16th 08, 01:03 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

That was nice of him to give you that .....

Try playing your palm vs Kasporve computer.

I mite look up a palm ..

My excalibur game is Ivan the Conqueror 2 BUT i think i really have the
first one ..But that is another story ..The serial number says it is a
2 but it is just on a sticker ...The number is not engraved on the
game ...Then m instruction sheet say two but when i try to do some of
the functions it says 2 has , i can not do them ....
I never took the game back because i got it real cheap and the store
was going out of business..