Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old November 25th 08, 07:06 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: May 2006
Posts: 14,870
Default Amazing Victory by US in World Chess Olympiad

Going into the last round of the World Chess Olympiad, the chances of
the US Team for any kind of medal were somewhere between slim and
none, as they faced the world-class team of the Mighty Ukraine.

On every board, the USA team was outrated by an average of 60 rating
points. This made the chances that the USA team might even be able to
draw the match to be approximately nil.

Amazingly, the USA Team wiped out the Ukraine by 3 1/2 - 1/2, with
Kamsky beating Ivanchuk on board one.

This will have to go down as one of the greatest upsets in Olympiad
history, As a result, the US Team finished in third place and won the
bronze medal, even though they had started the Olympiad ranked only
tenth. Armenia won, with Israel finishing second.

Round 11 on 2008/11/25 at 10:00
Bo. 10 USA United States of America (USA) Rtg - 2 UKR Ukraine (UKR)
Rtg 3:
3.1 GM Kamsky Gata 2729 - GM Ivanchuk Vassily 2786 1 - 0
3.2 GM Nakamura Hikaru 2704 - GM Karjakin Sergey 2730 -
3.3 GM Onischuk Alexander 2644 - GM Eljanov Pavel 2720 1 - 0
3.4 GM Shulman Yuri 2616 - GM Efimenko Zahar 2680 1 - 0

Not to be sneezed at was the result of the US Woman's team, who was
not given much of a chance as they started the event ranked only
seventh. However, the US women beat Russia and drew with China to
finish third in the Olympiad behind Georgia and the Ukraine.

This great result by the US Women was made possible because of Anna
Zatonskih who won the silver medal with a score of 8-2 with a
performance rating of 2571, more than one hundred points above her
published rating of 2440 and especially because of Rusudan Goletiani
who performed nearly two hundred points above her rating, scoring 9-2
with a performance of 2542, whereas her published rating is only 2359.

Among individual players, most notable was former Woman's World
Champion Maya Chiburdanidze, who returned to her prior form after
years of mediocre results and scored 7 1/2 - 1 1/2, beating both
Chinese prodigy Hou Yifan and The Real Woman's World Champion
Alexandra Kosteniuk to achieve a performance rating of 2715.

Even more spectacular was the result of beauty queen Martha Fierro of
Ecuador who scored an amazing 7 1/2 - 1/2 to achieve a performance
rating of 2613, one of the best results ever in history for a woman.

This was the second amazing result for Martha Fierro just within the
last few weeks. Just before the Olympiad, she and her partner won the
gold medal in mixed blitz doubles at the World Mind Sport Games in
Beijing, China. Nobody would have imagined that a team from lowly
Ecuador would win an event like that, but they did, IM Martha Fierro
and GM Franco Matamoros achieved historic success by winning this
event, defeating powerful teams from China, India and other countries.

Sam Sloan
  #2   Report Post  
Old November 25th 08, 07:12 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Nov 2008
Posts: 570
Default Amazing Victory by US in World Chess Olympiad

I'd say thing are looking better for Kamsky in February.

samsloan wrote:
Going into the last round of the World Chess Olympiad, the chances of
the US Team for any kind of medal were somewhere between slim and
none, as they faced the world-class team of the Mighty Ukraine.

On every board, the USA team was outrated by an average of 60 rating
points. This made the chances that the USA team might even be able to
draw the match to be approximately nil.

Amazingly, the USA Team wiped out the Ukraine by 3 1/2 - 1/2, with
Kamsky beating Ivanchuk on board one.

This will have to go down as one of the greatest upsets in Olympiad
history, As a result, the US Team finished in third place and won the
bronze medal, even though they had started the Olympiad ranked only
tenth. Armenia won, with Israel finishing second.

Round 11 on 2008/11/25 at 10:00
Bo. 10 USA United States of America (USA) Rtg - 2 UKR Ukraine (UKR)
Rtg 3:
3.1 GM Kamsky Gata 2729 - GM Ivanchuk Vassily 2786 1 - 0
3.2 GM Nakamura Hikaru 2704 - GM Karjakin Sergey 2730 -
3.3 GM Onischuk Alexander 2644 - GM Eljanov Pavel 2720 1 - 0
3.4 GM Shulman Yuri 2616 - GM Efimenko Zahar 2680 1 - 0

Not to be sneezed at was the result of the US Woman's team, who was
not given much of a chance as they started the event ranked only
seventh. However, the US women beat Russia and drew with China to
finish third in the Olympiad behind Georgia and the Ukraine.

This great result by the US Women was made possible because of Anna
Zatonskih who won the silver medal with a score of 8-2 with a
performance rating of 2571, more than one hundred points above her
published rating of 2440 and especially because of Rusudan Goletiani
who performed nearly two hundred points above her rating, scoring 9-2
with a performance of 2542, whereas her published rating is only 2359.

Among individual players, most notable was former Woman's World
Champion Maya Chiburdanidze, who returned to her prior form after
years of mediocre results and scored 7 1/2 - 1 1/2, beating both
Chinese prodigy Hou Yifan and The Real Woman's World Champion
Alexandra Kosteniuk to achieve a performance rating of 2715.

Even more spectacular was the result of beauty queen Martha Fierro of
Ecuador who scored an amazing 7 1/2 - 1/2 to achieve a performance
rating of 2613, one of the best results ever in history for a woman.

This was the second amazing result for Martha Fierro just within the
last few weeks. Just before the Olympiad, she and her partner won the
gold medal in mixed blitz doubles at the World Mind Sport Games in
Beijing, China. Nobody would have imagined that a team from lowly
Ecuador would win an event like that, but they did, IM Martha Fierro
and GM Franco Matamoros achieved historic success by winning this
event, defeating powerful teams from China, India and other countries.

Sam Sloan

  #3   Report Post  
Old November 25th 08, 08:51 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Mar 2008
Posts: 20
Default Amazing Victory by US in World Chess Olympiad

So the Armenian Ex-Soviet grandmasters were slight better than the
Israeli Ex-Soviet grandmasters and the US Ex-Soviet grandmasters.
  #4   Report Post  
Old November 26th 08, 04:09 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,999
Default Amazing Victory by US in World Chess Olympiad

ha ha ha so true ..

BUT since they are under the American Flag i pull for them..

Looks like Gata is sending a message to Top , i am in good form so watch
out ......

  #5   Report Post  
Old November 26th 08, 10:59 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,soc.culture.polish
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: May 2006
Posts: 14,870
Default Amazing Victory by US in World Chess Olympiad

On Nov 26, 2:32*am, Jerzy wrote:
On 25 Lis, 20:06, samsloan wrote:

Going into the last round of the World Chess Olympiad, the chances of
Among individual players, most notable was former Woman's World
Champion Maya Chiburdanidze, who returned to her prior form after
years of mediocre results and scored 7 1/2 - 1 1/2, beating both
Chinese prodigy Hou Yifan and The Real Woman's World Champion
Alexandra Kosteniuk to achieve a performance rating of 2715.


Even more spectacular was the result of beauty queen Martha Fierro of
Ecuador who scored an amazing 7 1/2 - 1/2 to achieve a performance
rating of 2613, one of the best results ever in history for a woman.


Well, AFAIK young Joanna Majdan from Poland achieved an amazing score
9.5 out of 11 gaining 66 ELO points to her rating


Right. I had overlooked her. At age 20, she also had an amazing
result, with a performance rating on 2621 !!!

It was primarily because of her that Poland had such an impressive
result.Poland usually does not do that well.

Majdan Joanna WIM 2284 POL Rp:2621
Rd. SNo Name Rtg FED Rp Pts. Res. Bo.
1 273 Newrkla Katharina 2071 AUT 1982 1,5 s 1 4
2 140 WGM Hoang Thi Bao Tram 2250 VIE 2170 4,0 s 1 3
3 307 WIM Mendoza Velazquez Lorena Aleja 2015 MEX 1916 6,0 w 1 3
4 90 WGM Benderac Ana 2310 SRB 0 1,0 w 1 4
5 26 WGM Shen Yang 2450 CHN 2435 6,0 w 0 3
6 30 IM Lomineishvili Maia 2437 GEO 2432 6,0 w 1 4
7 35 WGM Pogonina Natalija 2474 RUS 2489 6,0 w 4
8 84 WGM Rudolf Anna 2318 HUN 2306 5,0 s 1 4
9 71 WGM Rohonyan Katerina 2334 USA 2342 6,0 s 1 4
10 95 WIM Galojan Lilit 2305 ARM 2359 6,5 w 1 4
11 17 IM Gaponenko Inna 2473 UKR 2339 5,0 s 1 4

Sam Sloan


  #6   Report Post  
Old November 26th 08, 12:47 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: May 2006
Posts: 14,870
Default Amazing Victory by US in World Chess Olympiad

On Nov 25, 2:06*pm, samsloan wrote:

The Real Woman's World Champion Alexandra Kosteniuk


Nobody seems to have noticed that I mentioned "The Real Woman's World
Champion Alexandra Kosteniuk", as opposed to the Fake World Champion.

Sam Sloan


  #7   Report Post  
Old November 26th 08, 01:21 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,soc.culture.polish
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: May 2006
Posts: 584
Default Amazing Victory by US in World Chess Olympiad

On 26 Lis, 11:59, samsloan wrote:

Right. I had overlooked her. At age 20, she also had an amazing
result, with a performance rating on 2621 !!!

It was primarily because of her that Poland had such an impressive
result.Poland usually does not do that well.


Well, Polish women`s team was not so long ago the European Chess
Champion and scored in the past two bronze medals in the history of
Olympic Games. Of course, they are young and the future is theirs
  #8   Report Post  
Old November 26th 08, 02:40 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,soc.culture.polish
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: May 2006
Posts: 14,870
Default Amazing Victory by US in World Chess Olympiad

On Nov 26, 8:21*am, Jerzy wrote:
On 26 Lis, 11:59, samsloan wrote:

Right. I had overlooked her. At age 20, she also had an amazing
result, with a performance rating on 2621 !!!


It was primarily because of her that Poland had such an impressive
result.Poland usually does not do that well.


Well, Polish women`s team was not so long ago the European Chess
Champion and scored in the past two bronze medals in the history of
Olympic Games. Of course, they are young and the future is theirs


I have attended several of these Olympiads and I do not recall the
Polish Woman's Team ever finishing so well.

However, this year they were among the leaders. In fact, had Poland
won in the last round she would have finished first in the Olympiad.
Instead, she lost to The Ukraine, by 2 1/2 - 1 1/2.

Thus, one game was the difference between first and fifth.

This illustrates a flaw in the system. I like the old system better.

In round 9, Poland beat the USA by 3-1, the worst loss suffered by any
US Team. However, the USA won the next two matches and finished third
whereas Poland had to face stronger opposition and finished fifth.

Sam Sloan

  #9   Report Post  
Old November 28th 08, 09:58 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: May 2006
Posts: 476
Default Amazing Victory by US in World Chess Olympiad

On Nov 26, 7:47*am, samsloan wrote:
On Nov 25, 2:06*pm, samsloan wrote:

The Real Woman's World Champion Alexandra Kosteniuk


as opposed to the Fake World Champion.Who is the "Fake Champ"? And who argues that Kosteniuk is not the real champ? What happened to Zhu Chen I did not notice her participation in the Olympiad. I am assuming she would have represented Qatar.Did she change her name perhaps?

EJAY

  #10   Report Post  
Old November 28th 08, 10:45 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: May 2006
Posts: 14,870
Default Amazing Victory by US in World Chess Olympiad

On Nov 28, 4:58*am, EJAY wrote:
On Nov 26, 7:47*am, samsloan wrote: On Nov 25, 2:06*pm, samsloan wrote:

The Real Woman's World Champion Alexandra Kosteniuk


as opposed to the Fake World Champion.Who is the "Fake Champ"? And who argues that Kosteniuk is not the real champ? What happened to Zhu Chen I did not notice her participation in the Olympiad. I am assuming she would have represented Qatar.Did she change her name perhaps?


EJAY


If you spend much time reading Susan Polgar's websites, you will see
that she often is referred to as "The World Champion" or as "World
Champion Susan Polgar".

Occasionally, she qualifies it by saying "Woman's World Champion".

I assume that she is contending that when FIDE stripped her in 1999
for refusing to defend her title, that it acted illegally and
therefore she is still the world champion, in much the same way that
Bobby Fischer claimed that he was the world champion until he died
earlier this year.

Sam Sloan
Reply
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bobby Fischer's Conquest of the World Chess Championship samsloan rec.games.chess.misc (Chess General) 22 July 30th 08 06:12 PM
rec.games.chess.misc FAQ [2/4] [email protected] rec.games.chess.misc (Chess General) 0 May 23rd 06 05:24 AM
rec.games.chess.misc FAQ [2/4] [email protected] rec.games.chess.misc (Chess General) 0 December 19th 05 05:36 AM
rec.games.chess.misc FAQ [2/4] [email protected] rec.games.chess.misc (Chess General) 0 December 4th 05 05:29 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 ChessBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Chess"

 

Copyright © 2017