Old December 4th 08, 09:59 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,misc.legal,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess

Default New Lawsuit: CYBERCAFES, LLC vs. USCF

A new lawsuit has been filed against the USCF. This one was filed on
November 15, 2008 in Milford, Connecticut:

http://civilinquiry.jud.ct.gov/DispD...V-08-4010781-S

As it was filed nearly three weeks ago, I am surprised that it has not
been reported.

I do not know what the case is about. However, Hanon Russell lives in
Milford Connecticut and his organizations, Chess Cafe and USCF Sales,
are located in Milford, Connecticut, so I suspect that they are behind
it.

Since last summer, Hanon Russell has been threatening to sue the USCF
if it goes through with the Goichberg so-called "New Plan" to make
Chess Life optional for USCF members. Since Hanon Russell and USCF
Sales advertise in Chess Life and have contracted to pay a minimum of
$150,000 per year to the USCF in return for the right to advertise, I
suspect that this lawsuit has something to do with that.

The new lawsuit demands an injunction. My best guess is that the
injunction that it is seeking is to stop the Goichberg "New Plan" from
going into effect, as the New Plan will reduce the circulation of
Chess Life and therefore will impact the revenues of Chess Cafe.

It is too bad that our USCF leadership will not keep us informed and
tell us what this is all about.

Old December 5th 08, 12:58 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,misc.legal,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess

samsloan wrote:
[...]

From the Polgar Blog:

Just out of curiosity, what is this about? Why would a Cybercafes
company (presumably a business about internet cafés) start a law suit
against a chess federation? I don't have enough phantasy to have an idea
what the reason could be.

Thursday, December 4, 2008 5:39:00 PM CST

Anonymous said...
I was in the chess bookstore at US Amateur East a couple years ago to
buy the new Kasparov book. All of a sudden, I heard Randy Bauer insulted
Mr. Russell's son who was working at the bookstore. Mr. Russell didn't
take this kindly. This can't be good when dealing with a company which
pays the USCF $150,000 a year.

Thursday, December 4, 2008 5:44:00 PM CST

Anonymous said...
Under the Bill Goichberg, Randy Bauer, Jim Berry, Randy Hough and Bill
Hall regime, they managed to cause one lawsuit after another while the
USCF lost hundreds of thousands of dollars. Well done gentlemen! My
biggest mistake was voting for Bauer and Berry. Bauer was the one who
lost his reelection bid badly until Polgar endorsed him.

Thursday, December 4, 2008 5:47:00 PM CST

Anonymous said...
Dear Anon,
The issue of how much, if any, money is due and owing to USCF Sales and
the impact of the membership changes have been on the table for some
time now. Other than bitching and moaning, I haven't seen any leadership
on this issue from Susan or Paul.

Thursday, December 4, 2008 6:57:00 PM CST
Old December 5th 08, 01:48 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,misc.legal,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess

Default Dear Paul and Sue

Sue writes on chessdiscussion:
by SusanPolgar on Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:50 pm

Although this case was filed on November 13, the board majority (Bill
Goichberg, Jim Berry, Randy Bauer, and Randy Hough) and the Executive
Director (Bill Hall) did not inform the USCF members or the board
minority. Even though I am a board member, I did not find out about it
until today.

---------------------------------------
Sue, the question you really want to ask is whether or not the USCF has
been served with the court pleadings. If yes, when were they served.
And if you're not in the loop, one simply can't imagine why. ;-)
Old December 5th 08, 02:31 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,misc.legal,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess

ANOTHER SCOOP

Thanks, ONCE AGAIN and again and again (or so it seems) to Sam Sloan
for breaking another important story about the USCF.

Hanon Russell, who is the apparently avuncular, pipe-smoking uncle of
US Chess as in "Uncle Joe Stalin," is this time among the angels for
trying to stop the plan to destroy Chess Life and the Federation along
with it. Gawd, one hates to write that. Gawd, one hates to imagine
that Hanon Russell as a key savior of the Federation. But the facts
seem to support it.

Out of curiosity, where do Paul Truong and Susan Polgar stand on
Goich's Chess Life plan?

Yours, Larry Parr

Old December 5th 08, 03:00 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,misc.legal,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess

On Dec 4, 9:31*pm, " wrote:
ANOTHER SCOOP

Thanks, ONCE AGAIN and again and again (or so it seems) to Sam Sloan
for breaking another important story about the USCF.

Hanon Russell, who is the apparently avuncular, pipe-smoking uncle of
US Chess as in "Uncle Joe Stalin," is this time among the angels for
trying to stop the plan to destroy Chess Life and the Federation along
with it. *Gawd, one hates to write that. *Gawd, one hates to imagine
that Hanon Russell as a key savior of the Federation. *But the facts
seem to support it.

Out of curiosity, where do Paul Truong and Susan Polgar stand on
Goich's Chess Life plan?

Yours, Larry Parr

Thank you.

Although I am the one who broke the story, I still have not been
allowed to post this on the USCF Issues Forum, where I am on moderated
status. Sevan Muradian posted a question about it over there about a
half hour after I attempted to post mine there.

In answer to your question, I am fairly certain that Paul Truong and
Susan Polgar voted in favor of the Goichberg Plan. They certainly did
not vote against it because Mike Goodall and I were two of the few who
voted against it.

Old December 5th 08, 05:23 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,misc.legal,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess

On Dec 4, 7:00*pm, samsloan wrote:
On Dec 4, 9:31*pm, " wrote:

ANOTHER SCOOP

Thanks, ONCE AGAIN and again and again (or so it seems) to Sam Sloan
for breaking another important story about the USCF.

Hanon Russell, who is the apparently avuncular, pipe-smoking uncle of
US Chess as in "Uncle Joe Stalin," is this time among the angels for
trying to stop the plan to destroy Chess Life and the Federation along
with it. *Gawd, one hates to write that. *Gawd, one hates to imagine
that Hanon Russell as a key savior of the Federation. *But the facts
seem to support it.

Out of curiosity, where do Paul Truong and Susan Polgar stand on
Goich's Chess Life plan?

[Snipped]

In answer to your question, I am fairly certain that Paul Truong and
Susan Polgar voted in favor of the Goichberg Plan. They certainly did
not vote against it because Mike Goodall and I were two of the few who
voted against it.

Sam, you are amazing. The question was one of fact '...where do Paul
Truong and Susan Polgar stand on Goich's Chess Life plan?'

You do not know, therefore surmise that they are for Goich's plan.
Your surmise is not a matter of knowing that fact and therefore
doesn't address the question. To add to the amazing, you assert that
they did not vote against it because you and Goodall were two who did
vote against it. That is a classic non-sequitor unless you establish
a warranted inferencial bridge between whatever the hell you did and
what someone else has done. Something like 'As one of the persons who
voted against Goich's plan, I received a list of the others who voted
against it, just like Goodall did. Polgar and Truong weren't on the
list and may support the plan.'

It's a popular stereotype of Chess that it teaches you how to think,
so it's a good thing that your thinking is relegated to the backwaters
of Chess so its popular image isn't tarnished.

Vance
Old December 5th 08, 09:42 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,misc.legal,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess

On Dec 4, 9:31*pm, " wrote:

[...]

There was no such list. This vote took place at a meeting in Dallas in
August.

When Goichberg said, "All in favor, put your hands up", a lot of hands
went up.

When Goichberg said, "All opposed", just a few hands went up. Those
few included myself and Mike Goodall. I did not see Paul or Susan
raise their hands.

Goichberg then said, "The ayes have it". There was no count of hands.

Thus, Chess Life was abolished for all but "Premium" members.

I immediately asked how the six members of the board had voted. They
refused to answer. I think Goichberg called me out of order or
something and said that it was time to move on.

I think the proper motion for me to make would have been "call to
divide" or something like that but I did not think of it in time.

At several other times during the same meeting I raised the issue that
Hanon Russell had threatened to sue the USCF over this. Each time,
Goichberg poo-pooed it, saying that this was not a serious concern.
When I tried to speak to this issue, Goichberg said "Times up". He
imposed a three-minute time limit on speakers and every speaker was
allowed to speak only once on any issue, but, during the meeting, he
only called time on me and someone named Allen, a newcomer, often
spoke two or three times at length on any issue.

Old December 5th 08, 11:52 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,misc.legal,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess

On Dec 4, 9:31 pm, " wrote:
[...]

Sam, the USCF Issues Forum is effectively dead due to
moderation/censorship. Don't waste your time and energy ****ing and
moaning about it. RGCP is where the truth can be found. Much is
happening. Stay tuned here folks.
Old December 5th 08, 12:56 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,misc.legal,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess

"samsloan" wrote in message

I am the one who broke the story,

It's like you're Jimmy Olsen, but with a severe head injury.