Old December 19th 08, 06:30 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess

Default My Best Games of Chess 1908-1923 by Alekhine is now available atBarnes and Noble

My Best Games of Chess 1908-1923 by Alexander Alekhine is now
available at Barnes and Noble Bookstores everywhere.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...ean=0923891498

This is the book that every chess master and grandmaster has read and
studied and every aspiring chess master should be reading.

The author, a World Chess Champion, clearly explains the most complex
and difficult concepts.

Grandmaster Reuben Fine wrote that Alekhine's collection of best games
was one of the three most beautiful that he knew.

World Champion Garry Kasparov wrote, "Alexander Alekine is the first
luminary among the others who are still having the greatest influence
on me. I like his universality, his approach to the game, his chess
ideas. I am sure that the future belongs to Alekhine chess."

Bobby Fischer wrote, "He had great imagination. He could see more
deeply into a situation than any other player in chess history. It was
in the most complicated positions that Alekhine found his grandest
concepts."

Chess Journalist Jerry Hanken writes, "This book played a large part
in my ultimate development as a Chess Master. The study of this book
added nearly 400 points to my rating. The World Champion has more than
a mere game collection here. There are superb insights into all
aspects of the game. The Great Master uses a very practical set of
ways to start the game and he explains them lucidly."

ISBN 0-923891-49-8

This book includes an introduction by Jerry Hanken.

This book appears at Barnes and Noble through an agreement reached
last week by which most Ishi Press books will be available at all
Barnes and Noble stores and other stores worldwide.

Old December 19th 08, 06:45 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess

samsloan wrote:
[...]

Sam, it it in algebraic?

Old December 19th 08, 07:18 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo....asp?ean=09238....

[...]

No.

Sad, it is not, that our highly intelligent young chess players are
incapable of figuring out that P-K4 is the same as e4.

Old December 19th 08, 07:44 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess

samsloan wrote:
[...]

Sam, it it in algebraic?- Hide quoted text -

Too bad it is not in algebraic.This is my favorite book.When I study
it my tactical game improves greatly.There is an earlier post on who
would win an Anand-Alekhine Match. At the top of his game Alekhine
would have been favored against almost anybody.He beat the great
Capablanca !!With today's moden methods and Alekhine's love for the
game I am sure he would have been able to compete in the modern game
that has evolved
Old December 19th 08, 10:04 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess

B. Lafferty wrote:
samsloan wrote:
[...]

It's identical to the Dover edition (which you can probably find for
less on line). He simply scanned the pages reproduced them. The only
differences are intros by Sam Sloan (about the Nazi articles) and
Jerry Hanken (about Jerry Hanken). Despite Sam's involvement, it's
still one of the best chess books around.

Old December 19th 08, 10:09 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess

wrote:

B. Lafferty wrote:
samsloan wrote:
[...]

Dear Turnip, I know how Sam does his books. I was just hoping that he
did this one a little bit differently. You may wel find it cheaper in a
Dover edition, but not necessarily in very good condition. Dover books
don't age all that well in my experience. Sort of like Turnips, they
eventually go to rot.
Old December 19th 08, 11:35 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess

On Dec 19, 5:09*pm, "B. Lafferty" wrote:
wrote:

B. Lafferty wrote:
samsloan wrote:
[...]

Have you ever actually seen one of my books?

They are usually better than the original. Larger size, bigger type.

Old December 19th 08, 11:36 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess

B. Lafferty wrote:
wrote:

B. Lafferty wrote:
samsloan wrote:
[...]

I hear a faint buzzing ... Oh, look! It's a Class E player pretending
he can talk! How cute.

For the sake of any real chess players out there, you can find copies
of "My Best Games of Chess, 1908 - 1937" (which includes the first
part which Sam reprinted) in "near fine" condition for $15, though
you'd have to pay shipping. The prices are always jumping around, so
if you're not in a hurry you can get a better deal. That probably
exceeds little Laffi's computer skills, though.
Old December 20th 08, 12:21 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess

wrote:

B. Lafferty wrote:
wrote:
B. Lafferty wrote:
samsloan wrote:
[...]

The Trunip rants like a stuck pig. Oh, well. John, you are
quintessential proof that a high(er) chess rating does not necessarily
correlate to intellectual ability in areas out side of chess.

Actually there is a used copy available online in As New condition for
$15.00 published in 1985. The problem with Dover editions, in my
experience, has been that the quality of the paper varied considerably
at times--some editions having better low acidity properties than others.

Best Wishes. Hope your root cellar doesn't get too cold tonight.
Old December 20th 08, 11:07 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess

samsloan wrote:
[...]

Capablanca !!With today's modern methods and Alekhine's love for the
game I am sure he would have been able to compete in the modern game
that has evolved

A point which should be made is that any attempt to convert a book
from descriptive to algebraic notation carries the risk of typos. Make
no mistake, there are typos in every book.

The most infamous typo ever in a chess book was made by Grandmaster
John Nunn when he converted "My 60 Memorable Games" to algebraic.
Grandmaster Nunn also added a few notes of his own and in so doing
included an illegal move in his analysis. Nunn wrote that a certain
move would have been better than the move that Bobby Fischer played,
but Nunn was wrong. The move that Bobby played had been the best move.
The line Nunn recommended had included an illegal move to work!

Bobby spotted the error (I think he was the first to point it out) and
eventually filed suit to stop the printing of the Nunn revision. This
explains the fact that "My 60 Memorable Games" was never otherwise
converted to algebraic while Bobby was alive.

Now that Bobby Fischer is no longer alive, the same company that
brought out the botched revision of "My 60 Memorable Games" has
brought it out again just three weeks ago. They swear that this time
all typographical errors have been removed. Whether they have the
right to reprint Bobby's book remains unclear. We will have to wait
and see.