Old December 24th 08, 04:58 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default Arena 2.0 released

Hello,

Just before Christmas, Arena 2.0 has been released. As you know Arena is a
FREE chess GUI which supports the UCI 1/2 and Winboard 1/2 engines protocol,
so all engine following these protocols will run under the free Arena GUI.

Arena offers you:

* the ability to play games longer than 270 moves
* play on serious chess servers like FICS/ICC
* following the SAN standard

For a famous other GUI which doesn't offer you such features you would pay a
fortune...

Not such for Arena. Arena is free, did I mention this ?

Also we will not kick you for telling us about bugs but will try to fix
them. Again this is the difference between Arena and the other chess GUI and
their chess server and sysops.

Also did I mention Arena is free ?

Merry Christmas from the Arena people !

Michael Diosi
Mind the Base. Join the Arena
Web.: http://www.playwitharena.com

Old December 25th 08, 02:24 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

* Michael Diosi (17:58) schrieb:

* following the SAN standard

Is that a new feature?

mfg, simon .... l
Old December 25th 08, 07:31 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

"Simon Krahnke" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
* Michael Diosi (17:58) schrieb:

* following the SAN standard

Is that a new feature?

mfg, simon .... l

Hi,

It would be a new feature for ChessBase. It is in Arena from the very
beginning. It is about disambiguation of knight moves. If one knight move
woul leave the king in check then the starting square of a knight move
shouldn't be shown.

Some peole want to pay for a buggy software but expect a FREE software to be
absolutly bugfree.

There are a lot of new features, some are mentioned on the page some are
not, Arena is always an experience. In some chess fora some new features
have been already discovered, some were not.

Best,

Old December 25th 08, 12:26 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

* Michael Diosi (08:31) schrieb:

"Simon Krahnke" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
* Michael Diosi (17:58) schrieb:

* following the SAN standard

Is that a new feature?

It would be a new feature for ChessBase. It is in Arena from the very
beginning. It is about disambiguation of knight moves. If one knight move
woul leave the king in check then the starting square of a knight move
shouldn't be shown.

That move is simply illegal and shouldn't be shown. But if you mean
there is another knight move to same square that doesn't leave the king
in check, how is that supposed to happen?

So did you want to say that if there is another knight that is pinned to
your king, there is no reason to disambiguate?

Well, sometimes there is a rook on A8 and another one on A5, and the
latter one moves to A1: Arena used to show Ra1 in one place (correct,
IIRC in the engine output) and R5a1 in another (wrong, IIRC in the
move list). R8a1 is simply no legal move, is this fixed now?

mfg, simon .... does arena run in wine?
Old December 25th 08, 01:34 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Hi,

Switch on short notation. In long notation all will be dispalyed. This
always worked right in Arena ! For FREE !

Yes Arena runs in Wine. I am not sure if you can combine Arena (Windows
program) with Linux engines, I doubt it. So also the engines shouild be
Windows engines, but this is unconfirmed, just my knwoledge.

* Michael Diosi (08:31) schrieb:

"Simon Krahnke" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
* Michael Diosi (17:58) schrieb:

* following the SAN standard

Is that a new feature?

Old December 26th 08, 12:21 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

* Michael Diosi (14:34) schrieb:

Switch on short notation. In long notation all will be dispalyed. This
always worked right in Arena ! For FREE !

What I described is a bug in Arena not some misconfiguration, R5a1 is
no long notation.

Yes Arena runs in Wine. I am not sure if you can combine Arena (Windows
program) with Linux engines, I doubt it. So also the engines shouild be
Windows engines, but this is unconfirmed, just my knwoledge.

Thanks, I'll try it once I got my Linux computer back to work.

That move is simply illegal and shouldn't be shown. But if you mean
there is another knight move to same square that doesn't leave the king
in check, how is that supposed to happen?

So did you want to say that if there is another knight that is pinned to
your king, there is no reason to disambiguate?

I assume a yes. So I think what you wanted to say was right.

Well, sometimes there is a rook on A8 and another one on A5, and the
latter one moves to A1: Arena used to show Ra1 in one place (correct,
IIRC in the engine output) and R5a1 in another (wrong, IIRC in the
move list). R8a1 is simply no legal move, is this fixed now?

That's no the best English but I think you should be able do understand
it.

mfg, simon .... l
Old December 26th 08, 08:13 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Hi,

* Michael Diosi (14:34) schrieb:

Switch on short notation. In long notation all will be dispalyed. This
always worked right in Arena ! For FREE !

What I described is a bug in Arena not some misconfiguration, R5a1 is
no long notation.

It must be a configuration problem as it doesn't happen as you can see:
http://www.playwitharena.com/common/pic/arena20.gif
Nobody ever reported this, maybe because it doesn't happen all the time ? We
need to find out when it happens. So we need a detailed bug report to fix
it, for free and also over Christmas.

What the engine does is another thing...

[...]

Yep, I understood. If it is fixed it is not because of a bug report on this
issue because we never got one describing this.
..

mfg, simon .... l

Old December 26th 08, 03:12 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

* Michael Diosi (09:13) schrieb:

What I described is a bug in Arena not some misconfiguration, R5a1 is
no long notation.

It must be a configuration problem as it doesn't happen as you can see:
http://www.playwitharena.com/common/pic/arena20.gif
Nobody ever reported this, maybe because it doesn't happen all the time ? We
need to find out when it happens. So we need a detailed bug report to fix
it, for free and also over Christmas.

Okay, I'll try to reproduce it when my computer problems are fixed.

What the engine does is another thing...

It posts a5a1. It's UCI.

mfg, simon .... l
Old January 5th 09, 04:14 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Michael Diosi wrote:
Simon Krahnke schrieb:
Michael Diosi (17:58) schrieb:
following the SAN standard

Is that a new feature?

It would be a new feature for ChessBase. It is in Arena from the
very beginning. It is about disambiguation of knight moves. If one
knight move woul leave the king in check then the starting square of
a knight move shouldn't be shown.

Leave which king in check?

Consider the following

Case 1.
White: Ke1, Na2, Ne2
Black: Kh8, Re8

In this case, the move Ne2-c3 is illegal. The PGN standard[1]
(S8.2.3.4) says that the move Na2-c3 should be written just Nc3,
since Na2-c3 is the only legal way to move a knight to c3.

Case 2.
White: Ka1, Re1, Na2, Ne2
Black: Ke8

In this case, the moves Na2-c3 and Ne2-c3+ are both legal. One
might be tempted to write Nc3 for the first and Nc3+ for the second
but the standard (S8.2.3.5) says explicitly that `neither the
appearance nor the absence of either a check or checkmating
indicator is used for disambiguation purposes'. That is, you must
write Nac3 and Nec3+, respectively, for the two moves.

Which case are you saying that Chessbase gets wrong? (Or both?)

(I interpret the notes on algebraic notation in Appendix E of the FIDE
laws of chess[2] as saying the same thing as the PGN standard. The
key phrase is `E10. If two identical pieces can move to the same
square, the piece that is moved is indicated as follows...' In Case 1
above, the Ne2 cannot move to c3 so no disambiguation is necessary; in
Case 2, both knights can move to c3, so disambiguation is required.)

Dave.

[1] e.g., http://www.tim-mann.org/Standard
[2] http://www.fide.com/info/handbook?id=125&view=article

--
David Richerby Mouldy Chicken (TM): it's like a
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ farm animal but it's starting to
Old January 6th 09, 02:15 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

* Simon Krahnke (2008-12-26) schrieb:

* Michael Diosi (09:13) schrieb:

What I described is a bug in Arena not some misconfiguration, R5a1 is
no long notation.

It must be a configuration problem as it doesn't happen as you can see:
http://www.playwitharena.com/common/pic/arena20.gif
Nobody ever reported this, maybe because it doesn't happen all the time ? We
need to find out when it happens. So we need a detailed bug report to fix
it, for free and also over Christmas.

Okay, I'll try to reproduce it when my computer problems are fixed.

The power unit was broken. Computer works fine with the replacement.

http://home.arcor.de/xts/2009/arena/....1-san-bug.png
http://home.arcor.de/xts/2009/arena/....0-san-bug.png

Arena 1.1 is overwritten by Arena 2.0 now. The second test was made
immediately after the installation of 2.0.

The bug is exactly the other way round now. Engine output is wrong, list
is okay.