Old December 24th 08, 08:50 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

Default Hugh Edward Myers

I am sorry to hear of the passing of Hugh Myers.

I first met him during the 1956 Eastern States Open in Washington DC.

I played him during the 1969 World Open Championship in San Juan
Puerto Rico. (This was not a Goichberg tournament. It was this
tournament that gave Goichberg the idea of using "World Open" as the
name of a chess tournament.)

I got to know him a lot better during the 1986 World Chess Olympiad in
Dubai where he was initially appointed as the bulletins editor but was
later replaced by Bob Wade.

I exchanged correspondence with him over the years and he wrote at
least one article about my opening systems in his "Myers Opening
Bulletin".

I had not heard from him in several years and I believe that he has
long been in poor health.

He was married several times and lived for years in the Dominican
Republic and in Puerto Rico. I think he originally lived in Iowa,
where he died. I do not know if he had any children, but as I recall
he did have some.

There was a minor scandal when he tried to marry a local Arab girl
during the 1986 World Chess Olympiad in Dubai. He had no idea how
impossible that was and he was nearly kicked out of the country as a
result. This was also part of the reason why he was not continued as
the editor of the official bulletins.

Sam Sloan

On Dec 24, 12:24*pm, " wrote:
SAD NEWS

* As a long time public foe of Hugh Myers on matters dealing with
Kasparov, Campomanes, Karpov (our Order of Lenin recipient) and
especially the termination of the first Kasparov-Karpov match, I am
also saddened to hear of Hugh's passing.

* * *We had a better private relationship, exchanging numerous letters
on arcane matters about American chess masters (as opposed to the GM
gods and IM demigods). *He was indeed a true man of chess, who also
had some of analysis from his "Hugh Myers Opening Bulletin" busted in
Chess Life by GM Larry Evans.

* * *Hugh was, in my view, a searcher and innovator. *His problem was
that he often permitted eccentricity to affect his findings, whether
about chess politics or openings. *He seemed always to be searching
for a GREAT SPANKING NEW IDEA, and as GM Evans once noted, he lacked
the practical strength to find it.

* * *Still, it was in the searching, whether flawed by myopia and
method, that he showed himself a comrade in chess arms. It was amazing
how after all of our public battles, Hugh and I fell into easy,
unaffected, extended conversation about obscure chess byways that
interest only a few of us. *(He had some good stuff on John Penquite.)

* * *Hugh seemed to fall out of the public eye a few years back,
probably because of ill health. *We never had a chance for another big
fight again.

Yours, Larry Parr

wrote:
On Dec 24, 8:22?am, chessparrot wrote:
I have just learnt of the death of Hugh Myers, b. Decatur Illinois,
USA 23rd Januray 1930: died Davenport, Iowa 24th December 2008.

USCF National Master, he played in two Olympiads. State champion,
famed for 1 ... Nc6!

Frater, semper atque vale

James Pratt (Basingstoke!)

* That is sad to hear. Myers was a dedicated chess-lover who always
spoke his mind forthrightly. As a player he was not among the great
but was still *very good, peak Elo about 2300. He had some noteworthy
accomplishments, such as playing in two FIDE Olympiads (for the
Dominican Republic) and leading his team to victory in the 1994 US
Amateur Team Championship. He played many top masters, taking a few GM
scalps, e.g. Lombardy and Rossolimo.
* Edward Winter had a high opinion of Myers, and cited him in several
articles, such as this one on the termation of the first Karpov-
Kasparov match:

*http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/e...rmination.html

* Myers was perhaps the first to detect the major inaccuracies and
inconsistencies in the spin Kasparov put on that event.
* In his Myers Openings Bulletin, a home-typed magazine, he explored
many unorthodox lines, e.g. 1.b4 e6 2.Bb2 Nf6 3.b5 d5 4.e3 c5 5.f4. In
reviews he laid unstinting scorn on chess hacks, in particular Eric
Schiller. He authored two well-regarded books, "Exploring the Chess
Openings" and "The Nimzovich Defense." The latter is regarded by some
as the definitive work on 1.e4 Nc6.
* Myers' attempt to mix MOB and autobiography in book form, "A Chess
Explorer" (Davenport, Iowa, 2002) did not, alas, work very well in my
opinion, and I was unable to give it a very favorable review (http://
http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/e...mination.html). Still, I had
considerable respect for him, and am sad to hear of his passing.

* * *Taylor Kingston

Old December 24th 08, 11:02 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

I remember that he had family members in Denmark.

This came up during the 1986 World Chess Olympiad in Dubai.

As he was employed by the Olympiad, they were obliged to pay his air
fare back. He wanted to stop in Denmark. They said: "We will give you
a ticket to New York or we will give you a ticket to Denmark but we
will not give you a ticket to Chicago with a stop over in
Denmark" (which would have been a lot more expensive).

He had a lot of fights with Makropolous and Abundo over this issue. I
doubt that he ever got the ticket he wanted.

When I played him in the World Open in 1969 I beat him in his pet
Nimzovitch Defense. I did not want to mention that in his obituary.
This was a big upset victory for me.

Old December 24th 08, 11:34 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

On Dec 24, 6:02*pm, samsloan wrote:
I remember that he had family members in Denmark.

This came up during the 1986 World Chess Olympiad in Dubai.

As he was employed by the Olympiad, they were obliged to pay his air
fare back. He wanted to stop in Denmark. They said: "We will give you
a ticket to New York or we will give you a ticket to Denmark but we
will not give you a ticket to Chicago with a stop over in
Denmark" (which would have been a lot more expensive).

He had a lot of fights with Makropolous and Abundo over this issue. I
doubt that he ever got the ticket he wanted.

When I played him in the World Open in 1969 I beat him in his pet
Nimzovitch Defense. I did not want to mention that in his obituary.
This was a big upset victory for me.

Sam Sloan

Myers does not mention Sam in his book, though he does mention a
long-eared dog in a bar in Padua, Italy that wore dark glasses and a
beret, and smoked cigarettes.
Old December 25th 08, 12:33 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.analysis

On Dec 24, 6:34*pm, wrote:
On Dec 24, 6:02*pm, samsloan wrote:

When I played him in the World Open in 1969 I beat him in his pet
Nimzovitch Defense. I did not want to mention that in his obituary.
This was a big upset victory for me.

Sam Sloan

* Myers does not mention Sam in his book, though he does mention a
long-eared dog in a bar in Padua, Italy that wore dark glasses and a
beret, and smoked cigarettes.

I did mention that one time to Hugh.

I pointed out that I beat him when he played the Nimzovitch Defense
against me in San Juan 1969, but he does not mention that game in his
book.

He replied that he had used my game somewhere else, but he did not say
where.

By the way, Hugh Myers had an extensive library and archives of notes
and games. Who will inherit it? I should hope that it will not be
trashed.

Old December 25th 08, 01:07 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.analysis

On Dec 25, 12:33*am, samsloan wrote:
On Dec 24, 6:34*pm, wrote:

[...]

very unlikely there's much left. He sold off a lot of stuff on
occasion, even employing a girl to help. He always had an eye for the
girls, did Hugh!

Old December 25th 08, 02:15 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.analysis

On Dec 24, 8:07*pm, chessparrot wrote:

very unlikely there's much left. He sold off a lot of stuff on
occasion, even employing a girl to help. He always had an eye for the
girls, did Hugh!

You are not kidding.

In the 1986 World Chess Olympiad in Dubai, he became enamored with a
local Arab girl who was working at the tournament.

She had green eyes, unusual for an Arab, which gave her a rather
stunning appearance.

He wanted to marry the girl so badly that he found out where she
lived, got a taxi to take him to her house, and knocked on her door,
telling her father that he wanted to speak to her.

When he told me about this, I was shocked that he was not killed on
the spot.

He seemed to find nothing wrong with this.

He was not a Muslim by the way.

A few months after the Olympiad and after Myers had left, I spoke to
the girl, who was working as assistant arbiter at another chess
tournament. She was trying to get the International Arbiter Title. I
do not know if she ever got it. She told me that she MUST marry
whomever her father selects her to marry. I do not think that Myers
was ever in the picture.