Old December 30th 08, 01:24 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,misc.legal,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess

Default A Rare but Important Posting by Bill Hall

by Bill Hall on Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:22 pm #121495

I have always been confused as to why the settlement offer by Susan
would save the Federation much, if any, money. The Federation would
still have a duty to defend employees, executive board members, and
possibly others as well. This would result in very nearly the same
expenses anyway. The offer to save the Federation money is an
illusion. I have no doubt that the facts will come out, sooner rather
than later.

Bill Hall
Executive Director
USCF
Old December 30th 08, 08:16 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,misc.legal,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess

by Bill Hall on Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:02 pm #121810

DACP wrote:

Harry Payne wrote:

marknibb wrote:

MikeMurray wrote:

marknibb wrote:Hal, I do believe one of the
functions of the court will be to attempt to determine the intent of
actions by the BOD and whether the USCF is acting within it own rules.
That might be the basis of a jurisdictional decision.

You have legal background?

Don't you think our attorneys have considered this?
Aren't you getting in over your head?

No Mike, I'm asking questions I think a Delegate should be
asking. If they bring up legal questions, perhaps the legal opinions
could be shared with the delegates

Mark,
I know you will find this hard to believe, but legally, the
Executive Director could have brought this case to authorities, if he
believed the NFP corp. he was responsibile for was not being
represented in a sound manner by the officers of that NFP.

So, Harry, did he? Did the ED bring this action or did the EB? If
the EB did, where is the recorded vote in open session? When was this
decided?

The legal subcommittee voted 4-0 to initiate the Illinois action. This
was supported by USCF counsel and had my strong recommendation along
with it. The record of the vote was supplied to our Illinois counsel
prior to initiating the action. I did and still do strongly support
the action.
Bill Hall
Executive Director
USCF