Old January 2nd 09, 02:44 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default Relieability/Stability of Chessbase Reader / Fritz Trainer

I've got several of the Fritz Trainer series which I generally find
useful. But they are not the most stable programs on my Windows Vista
(Business edition). Typical problems a

1) Chessbase reader will fail to start properly. Sometimes a reboot will
solve it, other times a reinstall will be necessary. I've never managed
to find why the program is so tempramental.

2) On the Fritz Trainer databases there is usually a list of lessons,
and to the right of them an image. Quite often the image is blank,
although this does not matter. The program otherwise works ok.

3) On others databases, the images are not seen, but when one clicks
them, the board loads, but no video, sound or moves are shown. So
basically I see something like:

http://www.chessbase.com/shop/produc...24&user=&coin=

but the board is at the start position, and there is no video. Clicking
'Start' does not help.

4) One database which used to work fine (one on the Pirc by Nigel
Davies), now will not work at all. Even after installing from the
original DVD, which used to work just fine.

In summary, I get a bit fed up with problems. When the Fritz Trainer
DVDs work, they are very good (especially the one on the French by Ari
Ziegler), but they are far from relieable.

I think the problem is with the reader, but why it is so tempremental I
dont know. I've never been impressed with Windows, much prefering to use
Solaris, but I do have several Windows programs. Of them all, Chessbase
Reader is the least relieable of them all.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Anyone got any ideas what
might be the problem. The laptop has 2 GB of RAM, which I know is a bit
low for Vista (apparently it works better with 4 GB, and a bit better
still with 8 GB). But the windows task manager shows plenty of free ram
if just Chessbase Reader is running.