Old January 2nd 09, 06:48 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default Could someone Sam Sloan for excess bandwidth costs ??

That idiot Sam Sloan regularly posts non chess computer related items to
rec.games.chess.computer. Hence every time we connect to the internet to
read rec.games.chess.computer, we have to download his junk. Given some
people have successfully sued spammers - see for example

http://www.angryox.com/vaspam/
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/01...dia_logistics/

it got me thinking whether he could be sued! I would suggest it would
wipe a smile off his face, but he is so deranged he would probably enjoy
it.

For anyone that pays for their bandwidth by the MB, he must be costing
them money. For any individual the cost would be very small, so I guess
it would be hard to prove much financial loss. Unlike spammers, which
interfere with ones business, it would be hard to argue that in the case
of reading a recreational chess newsgroup. I guess anyone that reads
rec.games.chess.computer as part of their job, as they develop chess
software, might well have a claim.

Anyway, food for thought. I'm not going to start legal action myself,
but just interested if people think it would be possible to do in the US?

Dave
Old January 3rd 09, 12:16 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On Jan 2, 1:48*pm, Dave wrote:

That idiot Sam Sloan regularly posts non chess computer related items to
rec.games.chess.computer.

Mr. Sloan is an attention-whore, who perhaps needs
professional help. It is true that he (deliberately) adds
numerous irrelevant groups to his numerous postings,
and the reason is fairly obvious: it is the same reason
madmen run naked through the Academy Awards
ceremony, or moon the Pope.

But as for this talk about bandwidth-- are you still
living in the stone age? I mean, there was a time
when it took time and money to download text, as
well as graphics, but that time is long past. With
today's technology, the bandwidth for a typical text
message (the only kind we have here) is insignificant
to all but those who live on rice and water, in some
unfortunate third-world countries.

If Mr. Sloan were posting jpegs showing himself in
compromising situations, I could understand your
concern. But text? Can you even calculate the
cost of retrieving a single unwanted text message,
or ten? The mind boggles. This, my boy, is the
new era. It is an era in which BILLIONS of dollars
are wasted routinely by Big Brother, virtually every
day. Here in America, we relish the wasting of
bandwidth-- or mustard, or catsup, or anything of
value, for it is the hallmark of our wealth and glory.
We eat Breyers ice cream; we drive Cadillacs; we
buy lottory tickets; we are, in short, the cat's meow.

To sum up: get a job, you whiner.

-- help bot