Old January 17th 09, 05:35 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default Rybka 3 = Bobby Fischer?

Is it just me or does Rybka 3 play very much like the former world champ
Bobby Fischer? It seems to have the perfect balance of attack without being
to obnoxious, and every piece just seems to land on the right squares. Very
balanced attacks.

Personally, that's not my favorite type of personality. I enjoy a good
sacrificial game even if it is very unsound.

Old January 18th 09, 07:42 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer
Banned

GetClub Chess too play like Fisher.

There are 5 levels as per your strength.

Beginner Level: 2000+
Easy Level: 2200+
Normal Level: 2400+
Master Level: 2600+

What your Rating? If you are among 2000+ to 2600+ then GetClub is best
Choice.

Bye
Sanny

Old January 18th 09, 06:27 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On Jan 17, 12:35*pm, "Marlon" wrote:

Is it just me or does Rybka 3 play very much like the former world champ
Bobby Fischer? It seems to have the perfect balance of attack without being
to obnoxious, and every piece just seems to land on the right squares. Very
balanced attacks.

Personally, that's not my favorite type of personality. I enjoy a good
sacrificial game even if it is very unsound.

I think it's just you.

Bobby Fischer, in his early days was overly
materialistic, often grabbing pawns and then
holding on for dear life. Rybka, in very sharp
contrast, refuses to credit the win of a pawn,
instead almost always showing the opponent
to have "compensation" in the form of the now
half-open file the loss of said pawn created.

Perhaps the similarity you think you see is
that as Black, both BF and Rybka play
actively, trying to imbalance the position and
go for a win. These days, there are far too
many grandmasters who have a decided
tendency to play dull, boring draws, and who
like agreeing to split the point without any
semblence of a real struggle.

One more area of similarity is that, like
many of the top-rated programs, Rybka as
well as BF goes out of her way to preserve
the two Bishops, valuing them above mere
Knights. Er, that is until 1992, when BF
decided to thwart his critics by showing
that he could, if he wanted, eschew the
Bishops and play sucessfully with Knights.

Indeed, they say that of all the modern
players, it is Vishy Anand who plays most
like a computer (not BF). And as for the
3000+ strength of the latest versions, it
would seem that Mr. Kasparov (or Deeper
Blue) came the closest, not BF. Or do
we dare cross over to the realm of
checkers, noting that one fellow who died
while still fending off the blasted machines!

I note that a chap by the name of Mr.
Penquite broke BF's "2825" raw number,
in the strange realm of correspondence
chess. Yet even so, when I punched in
a game he won in a sharp, theoretical
opening, my old version of Rybka had
zero trouble in improving upon his play!

This left me wondering, how on Earth
does a player have a winning streak so
long, yet play clearly inferior moves
once out of the books? Anyway, my
money would be on Rybka, provided
there was no possibility of JP using a
chess engine himself. Note that with
Rybka, you get a "leading thoretician"
to handle the openings portion of the
games, so Mr. Penquite or BF would
not very likely win out there.

One more item: Rybka does not in
any way rely upon "psychological"
moves off the chess board for her
success, unlike Mr. Fischer. There
is no need for bringing the opponent's
level of play down a peg or two in
order for Rybka-3 Quad-core to win
out. There are a few holes, here and
there, but what human can "hit" them
just right while never falling for some
tactical shot himself?

Whenever Sanny brags that his GC
program is now "as strong as Rybka",
I have to laugh. No matter how much
time is allowed, his monstrosity can
never come up with the same moves
as Rybka-- it's impossible. And the
same thing goes for BF and the rest,
although I was amazed at how well BF
did much of the time (but much of the
time is not all of the time).

A good example is the famous game
BF lost to Mr. Spassky, before their
world championship match-- the one
which provoked BF to write that he
had busted the King's Gambit. Rybka
liked BF's position all the way through,
showing a small edge for Black... right
up until BF blundered and lost! Rybka
wouldda won it, somehow.

-- help bot