Old January 28th 09, 03:18 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

Default Mottershead Plans to Give Away Chess Life magazine for FREE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Mottershead
One of my goals as an EB member would be
for the USCF to provide chess ratings to scholastic players 12 and
under without requiring that they become USCF members at all; that is,
$0 per year for USCF memberships to play in USCF-rated tournaments for
those under 13 years old. Chess Life for Kids would be available in
PDF and HTML formats on the uschess.org website, under a Creative
Commons-style license. Any scholastic affiliate, library, school,
or non-profit organization would be licensed to print copies of the
PDF and distribute them for free.

The USCF would still charge rating fees to tournament organizers and
would still charge entry fees to its national scholastic
tournaments. I realize that there are financial constraints that
might make this goal difficult to achieve in its entirety all at
once. However, that is where we should be aiming, in my opinion, and
it is where I would be aiming.

Brian Mottershead
This is the problem with the Mottershead campaign. His proposals would
be ruinous to the federation. He wants to give away Chess and Chess
Life for Kids for free. He does not answer the questions: Who will pay
for the editorial staff? Does he think that the Chess Life editor is
an unpaid volunteer? Who will pay for the art work, the photography?

For that matter, who will pay for Mike Nolan? Who will pay to maintain
the rating system? Does Brian Mottershead think that these things come
for free?

The average of all USCF members is now under 12 years old. His program
will give all the benefits to USCF membership, the magazine and the
chess ratings, away for free. Fully half of all paid USCF members will
not need to join any more.

The USCF is struggling as it is. If the Mottershead Plan goes into
effect, the USCF as we know it will cease to exist.

Old January 28th 09, 06:52 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

On Jan 28, 9:18*am, samsloan wrote:

The USCF is struggling as it is. If the Mottershead Plan goes into
effect,

"the USCF as we know it will cease to exist."

now this is just my humble opinion ... but I am fairly certain that
there are a fair number of people, myself included, who want
a major change of direction for the federation. The do not want
the USCF to continue down it's current path to destruction, in
other words they do not want it to "exist" as it has been lately,
there needs to be substantial, perhaps even drastic change in
a number of areas to return it to viability.