Old February 4th 09, 02:26 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,misc.legal,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess

Default How can we campaign against somebody who controls the moderators?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsawmiller
Do not make personal attacks or defamatory or
disparaging comments about any person, group or company. ...If you
refer to someone by name, use their actual name, not a made up or
sarcastic name.
but the announcement only listed the sarcastic
name portion. The announcement was incomplete. In looking at the MOC
discussion, the MOC was concerned with the whole post, not just the
name-calling.

Do not post suggestions, without specifically identified
substantial proof, that a person may have committed an unethical or
criminal act.

Tim Sawmiller
I think that every reasonable person can see serious problems with the
above rules especially in the context of an election campaign. For
example, we are not allowed to say, "George Bush is a Fink". (Note
that I have not said it. I am just using this as an example.)

For example, I was sanctioned for making a negative remark about
Citibank for cheating Grandmaster Pal Benko out of the inheritance
money that he was clearly entitled to receive from Ruth Cardoso, a
deceased chess player. Even though Citibank is not a USCF member of
even a chessplayer at all, I was not allowed to make "disparaging
comments" on the USCF Issues Forum about Citibank.

The current situation is that we are running against somebody who has
the ultimate control over the moderators. He was involved in selecting
the moderators and can remove them at will. How can we conduct an
effective campaign? Will we say, "Mr. X is a great guy and is doing a
wonderful job. I just cannot imagine why I am even bothering to run
against him."

Jerry Hanken provided a perfect example in 2007 when he parodied
Shakespeare's Mark Anthony, who said, "Brutus is an Honorable Man.
They are all honorable men."

Hanken's posting was pulled by the moderators as "sarcastic". But,
what else can we do but make sarcastic remarks when we are not allowed
to post what we really think?

At the Executive Board meeting on May 17-18, 2007 in Stillwater
Oklahoma, the board voted to restore the Hanken posting. This is
probably the only time that the Board has ever directly overturned the
decision of the moderators. The moderators did restore the posting,
but then shortly thereafter "locked" the thread so that nobody could
comment on it.

How can we campaign for election if we are not allowed to make
"disparaging comments" about our election opponents?

Old February 4th 09, 12:25 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,misc.legal,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 12:39 AM, Eric Schiller wrote:
What empirical evidence is there that USCF forums affect elections more than email lists or blogs?

Eric

Have you ever been to the USCF Issues Forum? I have never seen you
there.

It is far more active than any of the email lists, blogs, or
newsgroups. More than that, everybody there is a USCF Member and a
VOTER.

In a situation where Paul Truong was elected to a four year term by a
margin of only 30 votes and where we would not have this current
problem had Truong not been elected, I think it is clear that having
anti-Sloan and pro-Truong moderators on the USCF Issues Forum could
decide the election.

Perhaps you are not aware that Herbert Rodney Vaughn, who is a rabidly
anti-Sam Sloan person and who filed a preposterous 400-page ethics
complaint in color using the USCF's computer in the USCF's office
which gave him direct access to USCF Issues Forum, which would not
have been possible from his home computer, was then rewarded for his
frivolous complaint by being made moderator of the USCF Issues Forum,
a position he now still holds nearly three years later, and where he
keeps demanding that I be banned from posting.

Vaughn is the same person who was improperly seated as a delegate at
the 2006 Delegate's meeting in Chicago when he was not a delegate and
who tied up the 2006 Delegates meeting in Chicago with anti-Sam Sloan
motions and got the by-law amendment passed that I am required to use
100 words in the pages of Chess Life "disclosing" my felony conviction
in a child custody case in 1993 when this is hardly a secret as I have
been blasting it all over the world ever since, but makes the USCF
look bad by having it appear in the pages of Chess Life.

So, now, Chess Life does not carry any information about the seven
Polgar-Truong lawsuits but must carry a statement about my conviction
in a 1993 child custody case.

As long as Vaughn remains the moderator of the USCF Issues Forum, it
is obvious that the board and the Executive Director are using the
moderators to control speech and thought in order to get candidates
favored by the current administration elected, especially since I sued
the USCF, Goichberg, Hall and Vaughn for among other things making
Vaughn a moderator.

Making Vaughn the moderator of the USCF Issues Forum where he has
pulled one thousand postings by USCF Members because the authors did
not agree with his political views is one of the many things that
Goichberg has done to provoke the litigation which has engulfed the
USCF. Goichberg would have everyone believe that he is an innocent
party to all of this but actually each of the eight lawsuits now
involving the USCF (with more expected to follow) are the direct and
forseeable consequence of the actions of Bill Goichberg.