Old February 10th 09, 05:16 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc

Default Fun engine?

Anyone know of a very fun, attacking engine? Even an engine that...
(gasps)... takes risks?

Junior is supposed to play "different" but from what I've seen, it just
plays with a lot of shifting back and forth, grinding tactics like every
other engine out there.

I guess it's just impossible for computers to ever play like some of the
great gambit players of the past? Tal? Computers just cannot think in those
terms no matter how hard they try.

Old February 10th 09, 01:55 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc

Marlon wrote:
Anyone know of a very fun, attacking engine? Even an engine that...
(gasps)... takes risks?

Junior is supposed to play "different" but from what I've seen, it just
plays with a lot of shifting back and forth, grinding tactics like every
other engine out there.

I reckon Shredder10 with its custom tablesbases is reasonably fun to
spar against in rated game mode. It does sometimes make small mistakes
or take risks when playing at below maximum strength.

I guess it's just impossible for computers to ever play like some of the
great gambit players of the past? Tal? Computers just cannot think in those
terms no matter how hard they try.

You can encourage it in that direction. It won't play quite as strongly
but unless you are GM standard or above it probably won't matter.

Chessmaster can be rigged to have some very wild personalities if you
can live with its irritating and invasive copy protection.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old March 27th 09, 06:36 AM
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon View Post
Anyone know of a very fun, attacking engine? Even an engine that...
(gasps)... takes risks?

Junior is supposed to play "different" but from what I've seen, it just
plays with a lot of shifting back and forth, grinding tactics like every
other engine out there.

I guess it's just impossible for computers to ever play like some of the
great gambit players of the past? Tal? Computers just cannot think in those
terms no matter how hard they try.
let me know if you find one