Old February 25th 09, 04:26 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc

Default ChessBase Light Percentages

I running the "premium" version of CB Light. I seem to be having trouble
with some basic, fundamental database functionality. For some reason, the
program seems to have a problem displaying the "Score" statistics correctly.
This is one of the primary reasons why one would use a database in the first
place, so it seems like a pretty big problem.

Here's what I mean. I have a reference database defined. If I enter the
moves: 1.e4 e5, CB Light now gives all the moves it finds for move 2 along
with the percentage of success. For example:

2.Nf3 - 4000 games -- 67%
2.f4 -- 2000 games -- 54%
2.a3 -- 100 games -- 19%

So far so good. But when I click on, say, 2.a3, it now gives the list of
Black's 2nd moves, and the percentages don't add up. For example, after
2.a3:

2...a6 50 games -- 0%
2...h6 25 games -- 0%
2...b6 25 games -- 0%

So even though after 2.a3 the program says White only has a 19% success
rate, after all the 2...nd moves, it says Black has a 0% success rate. It
just doesn't make sense? We would expect Black's totals to be roughly an
81% success rate.

It makes it impossible to go through a database and determine what the best
moves are based on GM practice.

Anyone else having this problem? (By the way, I've made up these moves and
numbers above for clarity).

Thanks