Old February 26th 09, 12:01 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

Default Sizing up the candidates

Sizing up the candidates

There are 11 candidates running for USCF Election with 4 slots
available. It would seem that there are ample choices for the voters.
Unfortunately, the true situation is quite dismal.

Here is a run-down on the situation facing the voters.

There are opposing slates being run by two powerful chess politicians:
Bill Goichberg and Susan Polgar, and there are a few in the middle who
may be leaning to one side or the other.

The Susan Polgar slate consists Mikhail Korenman, Blas Lugo and Eric
Hecht. Those three have admitted that they are running because Susan
Polgar asked them to. Susan had not yet come out to support them on
her blog but it is early in the election campaign. Lugo and Hecht are
marred by the scandal at the 2008 Miami Open where they failed to pay
$20,000 in guaranteed prizes. Korenman is involved in another scandal
where the USCF paid him $10,000 and he failed to do anything for the
money.

If the voters find out about these scandals, they will be defeated. If
the voters do not know about it and Susan Polgar strongly supports
them on her blog they have a good chance to be elected. However, with
Susan currently suing the USCF for $25 million, they are undesirable
candidates and should be defeated.

The problem with the Goichberg slate is that the USCF has lost more
that $100,000 (and more that $200,000 in real money) every year that
Goichberg had been USCF President, except for the one year that I was
on the board. Goichberg will probably go down in chess history as the
worst president the USCF ever had. However, he is well known and will
campaign hard. During the last election campaign, he sent out 17,000
postcards even though he was not running. He can be counted on to send
out even more mailings this year.

Jim Berry, a Goichberg candidate, has done little publicly visible
while on the board. (However, defenders of Jim Berry say that he had
been very active behind the scenes in trying to resolve the current
crisis situation.) Mike Atkins is considered to be a Goichberg
Candidate although those who know him well say that he is not running
with but rather against Goichberg. In either case Goichberg and
anybody on his slate probably should be defeated in view of
Goichberg's poor record while four years as USCF President.

That leaves five in the middle. However, Lafferty has often advocated
that the USCF should file for bankruptcy, thereby getting rid of the
USCF's "Life Membership Problem" since all life members would lose
their rights in a bankruptcy situation. This would be unacceptable and
therefore Lafferty should be defeated.

Mottershead wants to eliminate scholastic dues altogether, to reduce
adult dues to $5, make Chess Life and Chess Life for Kids an ezine on
the website, substantially eliminate the need for an office and turn
the USCF into a website similar the one he managed for several years.
These views are unacceptable and therefore he should be defeated.

I have strong negatives too. My negatives are there is a hard core
group who attack me every day on the Internet creating the general
perception that I am a terrible person. The "Fake Sam Sloan" issue has
made me one of the best known chess personalities but in a negative
way. Goichberg will campaign hard this year as he has in past years to
have me defeated.

However, note that I have exactly the opposite views of Mottershead.
Whereas Mottershead wants to eliminate scholastic dues for kids
altogether, thereby essentially eliminating scholastic membership, I
want to bring in one million kids as scholastic members and charge
them all $16 each and send them a nice magazine. My plan if successful
will bring in $16 million dollars, so at least I am a man with a plan.

Mike Neitman has three negatives. One he is known almost entirely as a
scholastics guy. The problem with this is that in years past the
scholastics group has tried to take control of the USCF. Therefore,
the members tend to be suspicious of scholastic organizers running for
the board. Secondly, Neitman is by nature a quite person and for that
reason little is known about his actual views. Third, many are
thinking that Neitman is the fourth member of the Polgar slate. At
least one rapid Polgarista on Polgar's chessdiscussion.com site has
already advocated a slate consisting of Lugo, Hecht, Korenman and
Neitman. I have no idea whether Neitman is a Polgarite or not.
Unfortunately, he has not yet told us and that is another negative.

So, that takes care of all of the candidates. Surely I have not
forgotten anybody.

Oh, yes. I did forget somebody. There is one more candidate:
International Woman Master Ruth Haring. She has a negative too, which
I will now reveal (although a lot of people already know it).

Her secret is that she had a very special house guest whom she was
hiding in her house in California for a long period of time almost
like a fugitive. He is quite well known and his name is:

Bobby Fischer

Yes, for many, many years Bobby Fischer had disappeared and they even
made a movie about it called "Searching for Bobby Fischer".

However, the searchers for Bobby Fischer never looked in Ruth Haring's
house and if they had looked there, that is where they might have
found him.

I was a friend of Bobby Fischer and I am proud to say so, and I
consider the fact that Ruth let Bobby hide in her house to be a strong
plus, (and by the way, I knew all along that Bobby was often in Ruth
Haring's house as I had played a very small part in arranging that.)

However, many will disagree and one of them will probably be Bill
Goichberg who is known to strongly dislike Bobby Fischer. It was
Goichberg who blocked my persistent efforts to reinstate Bobby to full
membership in the USCF. There are a lot of Bobby-haters out there and
whether this will be the undoing of the Haring candidacy is not yet
known.

So, that is my run-down of the candidates. By the way, you will not
see this posted on the Goichberg controlled USCF Issues Forum because
I have been for the time being banned by the Goichberg appointed
moderators.

Old February 26th 09, 01:58 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

On Feb 26, 7:01*am, samsloan wrote:
[...]

Sam Sloan

You are a terrible person. Unethical, selfserving, and a bald faced
liar too.

FTK
Old February 26th 09, 07:47 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

samsloan wrote:
[...]

That is untrue, Sam. I never said that. I have to conclude that you
are a liar. Are you that desperate to be on the USCF board again
(rhetorical question).

Old February 26th 09, 11:22 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

On Feb 26, 2:47*pm, "Mr.Vidmar" wrote:
samsloan wrote:
[...]

OK. Correct me. If I am wrong I will be happy to correct it.

There is no doubt that you said several times that the USCF should
file for bankruptcy.

Old February 26th 09, 11:25 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

samsloan wrote:
[...]

No I did not. You show me where I said that. You claim I did. Show me.

Old February 26th 09, 11:46 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

On Feb 26, 4:01*am, samsloan wrote:
Sizing up the candidates

snip
Why bother???

Sam Sloan

To my eyes organized chess in the United States has reached an
unprecedented nadir of foul reputation. I have reached the point
where I am embarrassed to admit any connection to it. This, under the
leadership of the USCF, supported by greedy, conniving, backstabbing
chess politicians on all sides, has led me to conclude that it would
be best for all concerned for the USCF to close up shop and terminate
as an organization as soon as possible. Am I alone in this
assessment?
--

"Do that which is right."

Rev. J.D. Walker
Old February 27th 09, 12:55 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

To my eyes organized chess in the United States has reached an
unprecedented nadir of foul reputation. *I have reached the point
where I am embarrassed to admit any connection to it. *This, under the
leadership of the USCF, supported by greedy, conniving, backstabbing
chess politicians on all sides, has led me to conclude that it would
be best for all concerned for the USCF to close up shop and terminate
as an organization as soon as possible. *Am I alone in this
assessment?

'

Alone? Yours is the majority opinion of chess players. So far as my
mail bag is concerned people ask what USCF does to promote chess, as
it is established to do as a NFP org?

What answer can there be other than milk the juniors, and continue a
maintenance role to an ever shrinking [in numbers and in dollars] pool
of current enthusiasts - albeit 2/3 of adult members don't play 12
rated games per year. A considerable number don't play any rated games
- that is to say, half of them.

That is the contentious background which becomes lost in the current
pursuit of hysterical accusations, which do not address your concerns
at all.

My comments also reflect the majority of chess players, as they have
written to me to express their views.

Cordially, Phil Innes

"Do that which is right."

Rev. J.D. Walker

Old February 27th 09, 02:10 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

samsloan wrote:
[...]

Was that business of Fischer staying with the Biyiasises really a
secret? I recall hearing about it back in the 80s, though don't
remember where.
Old February 27th 09, 03:28 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer
Rob Rob is offline

On Feb 26, 5:46*pm, "Rev. J.D. Walker" wrote:
On Feb 26, 4:01*am, samsloan wrote:

Sizing up the candidates

snip
Why bother???

Sam Sloan

To my eyes organized chess in the United States has reached an
unprecedented nadir of foul reputation. *I have reached the point
where I am embarrassed to admit any connection to it. *This, under the
leadership of the USCF, supported by greedy, conniving, backstabbing
chess politicians on all sides, has led me to conclude that it would
be best for all concerned for the USCF to close up shop and terminate
as an organization as soon as possible. *Am I alone in this
assessment?
--

"Do that which is right."

Rev. J.D. Walker

No.

http://www.linkedin.com/groups?about...anet_ug_grppro
Old February 27th 09, 03:32 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer
Rob Rob is offline

l (although a lot of people already know it).

Her secret is that she had a very special house guest whom she was
hiding in her house in California for a long period of time almost
like a fugitive. He is quite well known and his name is:

Bobby Fischer

Yes, for many, many years Bobby Fischer had disappeared and they even
made a movie about it called "Searching for Bobby Fischer".

The most successful film about chess and you get it wrong.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108065/

However, the searchers for Bobby Fischer never looked in Ruth Haring's
house and if they had looked there, that is where they might have
found him.

I was a friend of Bobby Fischer and I am proud to say so, and I
consider the fact that Ruth let Bobby hide in her house to be a strong
plus, (and by the way, I knew all along that Bobby was often in Ruth
Haring's house as I had played a very small part in arranging that.)

Sam Sloan

Sam,
You just make things up?