Old March 2nd 09, 09:16 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default My first chess program.

OK, I wrote a chess program using Sun Java, and finally got all the
bugs worked out, touch wood. I'm far from being a professional
programmer, this was done for fun, and as a learning exercise. It
plays very very poorly, but it does conform to all the rules of chess,
including en passant, rules of castling, and pawn promotion. There are
actually some very nifty little features, and there is room for
improvement.

The one thing I really wanted to do but couldn't was implement copy
and paste for PGN and FEN. Windows security being what it is, having a
web based application interface with the clipboard was beyond me.

Anyways, I'm sure there are people here who can do a lot better, but I
would appreciate any comments Thanks.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/fredh/chess/chess.htm
Old March 3rd 09, 07:51 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

wrote:
OK, I wrote a chess program using Sun Java, and finally got all the
bugs worked out, touch wood. I'm far from being a professional
programmer, this was done for fun, and as a learning exercise. It
plays very very poorly, but it does conform to all the rules of chess,
including en passant, rules of castling, and pawn promotion. There are
actually some very nifty little features, and there is room for
improvement.

The one thing I really wanted to do but couldn't was implement copy
and paste for PGN and FEN. Windows security being what it is, having a
web based application interface with the clipboard was beyond me.

Anyways, I'm sure there are people here who can do a lot better, but I
would appreciate any comments Thanks.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/fredh/chess/chess.htm

I had a look and here are a few comments.

1) The pieces look pretty naff - you should be able to find better
pieces about.

2) I could not see how to play white. Making a move for white does not
appear to work.

3) I don't see the point of a button to enforce rules. That should be
the case. If you have a feature which does permits moves not permitted
by chess, I would call it something like "allow non-chess moves" or
similar.

4) Since you had made the source available (whether intenstional or not
I don't know, but I could read it in the directory above), I would add a
copyright and a license. Just be aware you might get someone like Pascal
Georges come along and take what you release under the GPL and claim he
wrote it. (Apparently that is permitted under the GPL, which is why some
don't like the GPL).

5) I don't see a button to flip the board. All I could do was play
black, while playing towards myself. I gave up with the idea of playing
that.

I suspect I have missed something, the program needs to be able to be
more obvious in its use.

6) I get a message about the program wanting Java x.y which is not the
latest release. But I get that on Vista sometimes anyway, so I'm not
sure why.
Old March 3rd 09, 10:56 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On Mar 3, 2:51*am, The unknown warrior some-secrtet-
[...]

Yeah, they aren't much are they. I wanted to use my own java draw
commands, rather then predone images.

2) I could not see how to play white. Making a move for white does not
appear to work.

Just make a move as White, and then click play. That one is in the
instructions.

3) I don't see the point of a button to enforce rules. That should be
the case. If you have a feature which does permits moves not permitted
by chess, I would call it something like "allow non-chess moves" or
similar.

True enough. Essentially the check box is there to allow you to setup
a specific position. It cold have been done differently, or maybe just
give the checkbox a different name, perhaps a set-up button.

4) Since you had made the source available (whether intenstional or not
I don't know, but I could read it in the directory above), I would add a
copyright and a license. Just be aware you might get someone like Pascal
Georges come along and take what you release under the GPL and claim he
wrote it. (Apparently that is permitted under the GPL, which is why some
don't like the GPL).

Thanks for that.

5) I don't see a button to flip the board. All I could do was play
black, while playing towards myself. I gave up with the idea of playing
that

Right click on the board, invert is in the menu. In the
instructions

I suspect I have missed something, the program needs to be able to be
more obvious in its use.

Probably. I thought the instructions covered it.

6) I get a message about the program wanting Java x.y which is not the
latest release. But I get that on Vista sometimes anyway, so I'm not
sure why.

hmmm, I don't get that one, not sure what it's about.

Thanks a lot for your comments. Much appreciated.

Old March 4th 09, 12:58 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

"it does conform to all the rules of chess"

Simply amazing, perhaps you could make a killing
by revealing your programming techniques to Sanny!
Old March 4th 09, 11:51 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On Mar 4, 7:58*am, wrote:
"it does conform to all the rules of chess"

Simply amazing, perhaps you could make a killing
by revealing your programming techniques to Sanny!

Inside joke?

I guess there is not a lot to offer others with this program. I'm an
ameteur at this stuff. Just getting the freaking thing to work
properly was an achievement. And I did learn a ton about Java. It
would be interesting to find some strong java engine modules that I
could interface with this program.

Old March 6th 09, 11:36 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Inside joke?

If you spend a little time here you will see
alot of posts abouty a certain "chess program"
called GetClub written by a certain Sanny.
cedpite countless "improvements" that were to
at least double it's strength each time (shades
of a grains of rice for each squaare on a chess
board!) and claims of being as strong or even
stronger then Rybka, one of the strongest if not
the strongest commercial programs, it is still,
somehow, unable to obey all fo the rules.

Sounds like he should hire you as a consultant.

Old March 14th 09, 11:59 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On Mar 14, 6:49*pm, MeaningWhat wrote:

nice program. seems to work. congrats!

(though the pieces look terrible).

Maybe you should include self explanatory buttons. i really dont want to
read a lot of instructions to play the game. it should be obvious how to
start a game, how to offer draw and how to resign. further elements with
cryptic words (enforce) are not a good option.

MW

Thanks MW, duly noted on making things a little more intuitive. That
shouldn't be too difficult.
Old March 26th 09, 07:21 AM
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
OK, I wrote a chess program using Sun Java, and finally got all the
bugs worked out, touch wood. I'm far from being a professional
programmer, this was done for fun, and as a learning exercise. It
plays very very poorly, but it does conform to all the rules of chess,
including en passant, rules of castling, and pawn promotion. There are
actually some very nifty little features, and there is room for
improvement.

The one thing I really wanted to do but couldn't was implement copy
and paste for PGN and FEN. Windows security being what it is, having a
web based application interface with the clipboard was beyond me.

Anyways, I'm sure there are people here who can do a lot better, but I
would appreciate any comments Thanks.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/fredh/chess/chess.htm
well done its nice