Old March 5th 09, 11:05 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default Help: Can't Switch engines in Chess Assistant 6.1

I have Chess Assistant 6.1 running under Windows 2000. There is a few
built in engines, and I have also recently installed and linked
Shredder 6, taking care to install the classic version and linking to
Engine.exe as instructed in the Chess Assistant Manual.

The problem is the only engine that comes up in play is Tiger 14.0 I
can't switch to any other engine.

Any help here would be much appreciated. I've googled without success,
and I didn't bother to contact the company cause it is such an old
version of the program.
Old March 8th 09, 04:58 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

wrote in message

I have Chess Assistant 6.1 running under Windows 2000.
snip /
I can't switch to any other engine.
snip /

I don't have 6.1, I have 10.0 under Vista and 5.1 under wine, and they work
similarly to each other so I imagine 6.1 is the same. You don't say what you
are trying to do with the engine, and you don't say what happens when it
"doesn't work". Since I have only used the engines to analyze positions, not
for "play against engine" or "engine vs engine", I will give some tips for
what I know.

(1) Open a game in the view window. Above the game there is an "Engines"
tab. Click on that. When you click on the leftmost button "Monitor" in 5.1
("Infinitive Analysis" in 10.0) the window with the lines appears, and you
should have a little combo box in there where you can change the engine.
What happens in the combo box? Can't click? Only one engine in the list?
Can't get a different engine to stick?

(2) Next close the infinite analysis, then click on the second button
"Analyse current position" (5.1/10.0), then "Standard". In the "Analysis
options" dialog there is a combo box "Select engine" where you can switch.
What happens there?

(3) Now on the CA menu click "Engines" "Engines in memory..." You should
see Tiger 14.0 of course, and if you were able to switch engines in (1 or 2)
then that one will be listed as well.

(4) Now on the menu click "Engines" "Engines setup..." Of course you have
more than one engine in the list there, right? Did switching engines work
before you installed Shredder 6? If yes, try clicking on Shredder then
"Remove". Then click the button "Restore built-in defaults". Then try again
with (1, 2, and 3). If that succeeds, you need to set up Shredder 6
differently somehow. If restoring the defaults doesn't help, I could only
suggest re-installation (perform backups first). You would need the license
key to do that.

Old March 9th 09, 08:49 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On Mar 7, 11:58*pm, "Allan" wrote:
wrote in message

I have Chess Assistant 6.1 running under Windows 2000.
* * snip /
[...]

Thanks bud, that did the trick. I first made the selection in the
"Monitor" drop down list, even though I didn't use that feature. Then
subsequently when I wanted to play against the engine, Shredder did
come up.

As an aside, I almost never use my engine for analysis, I'm not
convinced that it improves my play, but I do find it helpful to work
on my technique by playing out certain positions against the
computer.