Old March 8th 09, 06:15 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

Default USCF Possible Anticipatory Breach of Contract?

On Mar 7, 10:38*pm, "Israel Silverman"
wrote:
According to recent Chess Life maagazines (see, for example, March Chess
Life page 7. Life Memberships apparently may not be getting Chess Life
magazines in the mail after 2010.

This is a reasonable interpretation of the statement "Premium benefits for
life and sustaining member are only guaranteed through 2010" on that page,
along with a classification of a life membership as a non-premium
membership.

That would be a surprising kick in the teeth of all those members over the
years who believed in the USCF enough to pay double the annual rate, or
whatever lump sum was required by the USCF at any given time.

Although this would seem a fascinating way of generating excess cash flow,
it runs counter to what I believed I was getting when I became a Life Member
a few decades ago. I did not pay all that money just to be able to play in
tournaments. I paid to also get the magazine, and if and when I get ahold of
some of my back issues from the attic, I am sure I will find that my
expectations were most reasonable. I believe that this was also the
expectations of the ten thousand or so (I believe) current Life Members.
Now, some will argue that online access is the same as a physical magzine.. I
wish them luck.

In fact, by making these repeated assertions, I do wonder if we are not
seeing what is called "anticipatory breach of contract."

Seehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breach_of_contract#Anticipatory_breach

Also, there are certain civil wrongs dealing with interference with
contractual relationships, and I do wonder if any out there might be
responsible for such a breach, if it exists.

Seehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intentional_interference_with_contractua....

I really do wonder if 10,000 people (or maybe even 5,000 people) are not
going to notice that all of a sudden they have stopped delivering their
Chess Life.

Of course, this is all apart from the sheer stupidity of no longer having a
monthly connection to the organization with lists of tournaments and the
like. But that's a whole other matter.

What do you all think You think someone on Rector street or in Cookeville
will be interested in this one?

I have been complaining about this since the President announced that
they were going to do this last July.

Nobody noticed then. Will anybody else notice now?

Old March 8th 09, 08:36 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

wrote:
[...]

Going to do what, Sam? Publish that line in Chess Life? Try washing
your brain with lye and read this again: No one has yet proposed
ceasing to send CL to life members. They might if the USCF were to run
out of money in 2010, but in that case the USCF might stop doing a lot
of things. No wonder we have people getting hysterical, with nitwits
like you fanning the flames.
Old March 8th 09, 11:55 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

"samsloan" wrote in message

I have been complaining about this since the President announced that
they were going to do this last July.

Nobody noticed then. Will anybody else notice now?

Sam Sloan

As usual with the USCF, no one notices until it's done. Frankly, I'm quite
impressed that there was even one thing that the USCF thought about that
exceeded a completion date expending past the following full moon. Pity it
had to be this.