Old March 9th 09, 02:15 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default What's the best way to use CM10 to improve?

Is there any set of best ways to use CM 10's learning features to improve
my game?

What things to turn on or off as I learn?

Old March 9th 09, 03:33 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On Mar 8, 7:15*pm, Sarah Houston wrote:
Is there any set of best ways to use CM 10's learning features to improve
my game?

What things to turn on or off as I learn?

It mostly depends on how good of a chess player you are now, but most
of the learning features are for beginners who are learning how to
spot certain types of moves and tactics such as pins, skewers, checks,
etc. Other learning features are for somewhat more experienced
players, such as showing the opening moves in the "Chess Coach", or
using the "Current Situation Report Window" (stupid name) for seeing
information about common moves or potential mating sequences.

The best way to learn is to use the Chess Academy and just pick
anything there that sounds appealing (and not too overwhelming) to
you. Start with the "Chessmaster Series" or "Josh Waitzkin's Academy"
sections, and you should start to spot areas in which you need
improvement.

If all of this sounds too elementary or too scary for you, just let me
know a little more about how strong a player you are now, and I can
come up with some better suggestions.

jm (Slick)
Old March 9th 09, 11:06 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On Mar 8, 10:35*pm, Sarah Houston wrote:
*wrote :

It mostly depends on how good of a chess player you are now,

About 1400 according to CM.

How many rated games have you played so far? Assuming you've played a
reasonable amount (at least ten, but preferably at least twenty), then
the best ways to use Chessmaster to improve are to go to the
Intermediate section of the Academy (the Rating Exam, the Endgame
Quiz, and the sections by Bruce Pandolfini are all valuable), and to
play against stronger opponents. All of Josh's material is also
valuable, but I'd start with the Endgame Course.

jm
Old March 12th 09, 03:00 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On Mar 8, 9:15*pm, Sarah Houston wrote:
Is there any set of best ways to use CM 10's learning features to improve
my game?

What things to turn on or off as I learn?

Everyone has there own methods I guess. I find it helpful to play out
certain positions against the computer. Here are a few examples.

Often times when you study a book on the endgame or the middle game,
or even a CM 10 lesson, the book may tell you that a certain position
is a win for one side or the other, or maybe one side has a very clear
advantage, and the book will go on to show you a way to win the
position. Then you can set the position up in CM 10, and have a very
strong computer setting play the "losing side". That is a good way of
trying out what you have learned.