Old February 6th 10, 04:32 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default Which Fritz?

I'm only about a 1400 level player. I play at home on the computer, for lack
of local casual friends to play.

I've been using Chessmaster 9000 because I like the brown & beige 2d
woodgrain set. They didn't even include that set in future versions.

But I'm sick of having to dedicate my CD drive to babysit their game.

So people have been suggesting Fritz for some time, but I thought that all it
had was that newspaper looking 2d interface.

Now I see that even as far back as v 10, it has a 3d brown & beige set that
looks just like my favorite in CM9000 and can be rotated to look 2d?

SO do I need anything more than V 10? Is it stable and all?

May as well not spend more, when I dont play any higher than about 1400.

Old February 6th 10, 05:39 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

I am not sure how to answer your question but my elo might be the same
or lower than yours.
But i do know if i had a real computer id just get the strongest Fritz
because i like playing computer vs computer ..
Me personally i would get the strongest HIRCS , just because i have
always liked that one .
The reviews have said it plays a strong middle game ..
I know Rybka is the strongest chess program but still id get the one
i like ..

Old February 6th 10, 12:44 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Am 06.02.2010 05:32, schrieb Devils_Advocate:
I'm only about a 1400 level player. I play at home on the computer, for lack
of local casual friends to play.

I've been using Chessmaster 9000 because I like the brown& beige 2d
woodgrain set. They didn't even include that set in future versions.

But I'm sick of having to dedicate my CD drive to babysit their game.

So people have been suggesting Fritz for some time, but I thought that all it
had was that newspaper looking 2d interface.

Now I see that even as far back as v 10, it has a 3d brown& beige set that
looks just like my favorite in CM9000 and can be rotated to look 2d?

SO do I need anything more than V 10? Is it stable and all?

May as well not spend more, when I do

nt play any higher than about 1400.

You can use Daemon Tools or an other virtual cd Software. Just copy the
CD to the Hard disk and load it with daemon tools.

Old February 6th 10, 06:33 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Devils_Advocate wrote:
I'm only about a 1400 level player. I play at home on the computer, for lack
of local casual friends to play.

I've been using Chessmaster 9000 because I like the brown & beige 2d
woodgrain set. They didn't even include that set in future versions.

But I'm sick of having to dedicate my CD drive to babysit their game.

I also find the ChessMaster anti-piracy measures extremely invasive too
and so hardly ever play against it. Is there an antidote?

So people have been suggesting Fritz for some time, but I thought that all it
had was that newspaper looking 2d interface.

Now I see that even as far back as v 10, it has a 3d brown & beige set that
looks just like my favorite in CM9000 and can be rotated to look 2d?

SO do I need anything more than V 10? Is it stable and all?

Some versions were better than others. But anything from about v8
onwards is more than a match for under 1600 ELO players. In fact the
more recent engines struggle to simulate playing down to normal club
level play. You tend to get 9 moves of GM quality followed by one total
patzer move which gives the right statistics but isn't so cute.

Fritz personalities are nothing like as tunable as Chessmasters. But the
friend mode and training modes are OK.

May as well not spend more, when I dont play any higher than about 1400.

Anything from v10 onwards will be fine. You get the slightly nicer
interface with them - although the Turk is a bit of a lemon.

You should also consider Shredder10 (or higher) - same interface as
Fritz (at least fro Shredder10) and you get a set of 3,4,5 men
tablesbases included on the disk which gives it perfect endgame play. I
also think Shredder annotates real games better than Fritz.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old February 6th 10, 10:42 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On Feb 6, 1:33*pm, Martin Brown
wrote:
Devils_Advocate wrote:
[...]

Go ahead and buy Fritz 12, as it is UCI friendly you can install many
freeware chess engines of various strengths and play them in the Fritz
GUI.

Here is a list of chess engines for you. You can also download
Winboard chess GUI for free and install the chess engines on the list
with WB beside them.

http://www.rwbc-chess.de/wb_chron.htm

Good luck

Old February 7th 10, 02:08 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Martin Brown wrote :

Devils_Advocate wrote:
[...]

Dont do annotation anyway, just enjoy casual play, at a little beyond my
skill level.

When I keep hearing things like above, it keeps me with CM9000. I like
being able to find tune the nearby skill levels. I just get so sick of
having to leave the disk in the drive.

Old February 7th 10, 02:09 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Chess Gator wrote :

.

[...]

Dont even know what a UCI is...

Old February 7th 10, 12:02 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Chess Gator wrote :

On Feb 6, 1:33 pm, Martin Brown
wrote:
Devils_Advocate wrote:
[...]

Google is your friend...

UCI and WinBoard are the two most common chess engine communication
protocols. Once you have the CB GUI (or another free GUI like Arena) you
can stick any number of different chess engines under them.

Fritz comes with Comet, Crafty and you can download a bunch of free
engines either from ChessBase or a huge range of amateur engines of
various strengths and weaknesses from for example Jim Abletts page :

http://homepages.tesco.net/henry.ablett/jims.html

Regards,
Martin Brown