Old February 9th 10, 03:35 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,sci.math

Default GetClub average Time in Median.

Sanny schrieb:
Why don't you do the math yourself? This example just proves my point
and contradicts your statement.

Come on, we are too lazy for that, I wrote a quick script to do the
counting:

$ ruby -e 'time, count = 0, 0; $stdin.each_line { | l | l =~ /.*\{(\d+)\}/; time += $1.to_i; count += 1; }; puts "#{count} moves in #{time}s, #{time.to_f/count}s/move"' beginner-moves.txt
48 moves in 738s, 15.375s/move

You are finding the mean. Find the median.

mean fluctuates a lot with large values. While "median" is the best
thing to avoid fluctuating values.

Can you write a program to find the Median?

now, who is the programmer ? LOL!
why dont you get one of your programmers to write a short script? surely
your team of top programmers will have time for that? or are they too
busy discussing chess strategy with some 2800+ chess consultants?

Time by Beginner Level against Fritz in sec / move

{0}
{0}
{0}
{6}
{6}
{44}
{24}
{76}
{6}
{14}
{8}
{14}
{4}
{0}
{14}
{34}
{12}
{0}
{12}
{14}
{12}
{6}
{0}
{42}
{0}
{4}
{4}
{18}
{12}
{6}
{0}
{4}
{4}
{6}
{4}
{74}
{12}
{20}
{20}
{74}
{66}
{6}
{22}
{16}
{8}
{0}
{10}
{0}

Median will give better picture of average time.

Say in a list values are 5, 7, 8, 9, 5, 7, 100

Mean Average is: "20". While 90% of the values in above list are below
"10". Average is showing double of the average value.

Then median will overlook 100 and the median will be "8".

Median is better telling which value is better. I have posted a link
to sci.math also so that some good mathematician suggests u7s
something better.

Bye
Sanny