Old March 15th 10, 09:47 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default Chess engines speed up

I am using Fritz 10 and I have a chess engine Rybka 3. Rybka runs slow, is
there anyway I can speed it up?
Old March 15th 10, 02:48 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Raymond wrote:
I am using Fritz 10 and I have a chess engine Rybka 3. Rybka runs slow, is
there anyway I can speed it up?

Faster, better computer?

Seriously though, ignore the nodes per second it reports or the search
results / depth it reports, etc.

All that matters is the quality of the play, not how the program is
reporting its search progress.

First, some programs are "slow but smart" and others are "fast but
dumb". They may have comparable playing strength but they get there in
different ways.

Second, not all programs report things honestly. Some lie. Sometimes
to make themselves look better, sometimes to hide search tricks,
sometimes just to help be more consistent for the player.

Also, the depths that programs report are nearly always bogus. A ply 10
search for one program could be equivalent to a ply 7 search for another
program.

Depending on the search extensions and reductions used, programs can
search pretty deep. But not all plies are the same.

For example, my own program, from the opening position, can search 10
plies deep in one second. Twelve plies in 5 seconds. 16 plies in 3
minutes. And it is definitly not a fast program or even finished.

By comparison, TSCP hits 6, 7 and 9 plies respectively. My program is
only a few hundred points stronger than TSCP (at 1 & 5 seconds per move,
other time controls not tested), but its searching vastly deeper and
appears faster.

So all that matters is how it actually plays. Every program will loose
occasionally and win occasionally. It doesn't mean its strong or weak
or fast or slow.

Old March 16th 10, 12:44 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 09:48:02 -0500, NoBodyYouKnow wrote:

Raymond wrote:
[...]

Thank you. I suspected as much. I tried changing the priority level on the
engine and it actually slowed it down.

Their are engine parameters which I have not changed but I suspect might
make a difference.