Old March 21st 10, 01:34 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default Another Chess applet for the web

Some of you who have been around for a while may recall Fred's Chess.
Here's the latest incarnation written in Sun Java.

There's nothing too spectacular here, just a plain vanilla fixed depth
alphabeta with a qSearch and a transposition table with a 22-bit
index. And some piece square tables for positional play. I'm no guru
of chess programming, so this is a nice milestone.

I've tried to put some useful features in the GUI. It's all quite self
eplanatory, touch wood. Tool tips for the controls, and a drop down
list which controls the functionality of the command button.

Anyways it's a long term project, hopefully you will see improvements
in the future. Comments are welcome.

http://fchess.uuuq.com
Old March 29th 10, 04:59 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 18:34:11 -0700 (PDT), Fguy
wrote:

Some of you who have been around for a while may recall Fred's Chess.
Here's the latest incarnation written in Sun Java.

There's nothing too spectacular here, just a plain vanilla fixed depth
alphabeta with a qSearch and a transposition table with a 22-bit
index. And some piece square tables for positional play. I'm no guru
of chess programming, so this is a nice milestone.

I've tried to put some useful features in the GUI. It's all quite self
eplanatory, touch wood. Tool tips for the controls, and a drop down
list which controls the functionality of the command button.

Anyways it's a long term project, hopefully you will see improvements
in the future. Comments are welcome.

http://fchess.uuuq.com

Nicely done, it's a lot stronger than the older versions of Fred's
Chess.
Old March 30th 10, 04:11 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

wrote:

Some of you who have been around for a while may recall Fred's Chess.
Here's the latest incarnation written in Sun Java.

There's nothing too spectacular here, just a plain vanilla fixed depth
alphabeta with a qSearch and a transposition table with a 22-bit
index. And some piece square tables for positional play. I'm no guru
of chess programming, so this is a nice milestone.

I've tried to put some useful features in the GUI. It's all quite self
eplanatory, touch wood. Tool tips for the controls, and a drop down
list which controls the functionality of the command button.

Anyways it's a long term project, hopefully you will see improvements
in the future. Comments are welcome.

http://fchess.uuuq.com

Nicely done, it's a lot stronger than the older versions of Fred's
Chess.

Thanks Tony. It's just a project to learn programming.Probably I will
leave the search algorithms alone for now, and try to develop the
evaluation() part of things, before I go back and look at things like
iterative deepening and PV first search. Also I want to split off the
GUI and develop a desktop version that incorporates UCI/Winboard,
database, and maybe TCP/IP so it will function as a client for sites
like FICS.