Old April 18th 10, 08:35 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer

Default Chris Jackson's brilliant post

On 2010-03-09, Sanny wrote:

..

At the momentGetClub- Easy Level plays very strong moves,

* * * * There is no level atGetClub.com which plays string moves.

Even Strong Players find it hard to beat it.

* * * * Utter rubbish!

* * * * I played chess onGetClub.com a few days ago for the first
* * * * time in a couple of years. I had given up on it because of its
* * * * very poor and excruciatingly slow play. I have read your many
* * * * posts which kept saying that the program had beenimproved,
* * * * and that it was playingmuchfaster. With that many
* * * * improvements, I thought, surely it now plays a halfway decent
* * * * game. I decided to give it another try.

* * * * I played ten games against the "Beginner" and "Easy" levels
* * * * before I could advance to "Normal". Those games were played
* * * * fairly quickly -- a great improvement over the time taken when
* * * * I last played on the site. Unfortunately, winning them was
* * * * still embarrassingly easy. I felt that I should be giving
* * * * queen odds.

* * * * Once the higher levels were made available, I tried "Normal"
* * * * level. At first I thought, "here is some competition". The
* * * * play was slow, sometimes more than 30 minutes for a move. On
* * * * average, though, it was within the stated 2 to 4 minutes per
* * * * move). Unfortunately,GetClub'sgame rapidly fell apart.

* * * * When I carelessly dropped a piece, I felt only a moment's
* * * * concern. I knew thatGetClub'spieces were always so
* * * * uncoordinated that the deficit would not be unsurmountable. I
* * * * didn't expect the program to give the piece back almost
* * * * immediately, but that's what happened. I didn't force
* * * * anything, it just handed it back on a platter.

* * * * Then I tried Master level. It wasmuchslower, but it didn't
* * * * play any better. On move 10, it gave up its queen for 2
* * * * pieces. On move 14 I carelessly offered it back: an immediate
* * * * pin of Q against K, butGetClubdidn't see it.

* * * * Then I played "Advance" level. It took 2 days. I won easily.

* * * * Current record: 19 wins, 0 losses.

* * * * My considered opinion: coupled with probably the worst-coded
* * * * website I have ever seen (click on *anything* and a new window
* * * * opens), is a chess program that is weaker and slower than
* * * * any chess program I've seen in more than 20 years -- if ever.

* * * * I would recommendGetClub.com only for rank beginners who
* * * * could not otherwise find an opponent they can beat.

--
* *Chris F.A. Johnson * * * * * * * * * * * * *http://cfajohnson.com
* *Author: * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * =======================

I have commissioned the above post by Chris Jackson to be engraved in
letters 10 feet tall into the side of Mount Augustus, Western
Australia, so that this post shall never be lost no matter what
happens to the human race.
Old April 18th 10, 11:39 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer

On 2010-04-18, Offramp wrote:
On 3 Apr, 13:44, "Chris F.A. Johnson" wrote:

I have commissioned the above post by Chris Jackson to be engraved in
letters 10 feet tall into the side of Mount Augustus, Western
Australia, so that this post shall never be lost no matter what
happens to the human race.

Chris who????

--
Chris F.A. Johnson http://cfajohnson.com
Author: =======================
Old April 19th 10, 03:55 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer

On 2010-04-18, Offramp wrote:
On 3 Apr, 13:44, "Chris F.A. Johnson" wrote:

I have commissioned the above post by Chris Jackson to be engraved in
letters 10 feet tall into the side of Mount Augustus, Western
Australia, so that this post shall never be lost no matter what
happens to the human race.

* *Chris who????

Sorry, Chris. I just noticed my typo.
I spoke to the engraver who wanted $2,000 a letter to change it!
I became annoyed and told him to just fill in the entire message with
10,000 gallons of tippex.
Future civilisations may find it.