Old April 24th 10, 10:15 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default Firebird / IPPIOLT source code

Where can I find the source code for Firebird? It is supposed to be
open-souce, but I can't find it. I'd like to create a 64-bit version
on OpenSolaris.

Is there a 32-bit Windows version around?

What the relationship (if any) between IPPIOLT and Firebird?

I know of the claims of Firebird and IPPIOLT being reversed engineered
versions of Rybka 3, but I'm personally more inclined to believe that
Rybka is an improved version of Fruit.

Dave
Old April 30th 10, 05:32 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 14:15:06 -0700 (PDT), "Dr. David Kirkby"
wrote:

Where can I find the source code for Firebird? It is supposed to be
open-souce, but I can't find it. I'd like to create a 64-bit version
on OpenSolaris.

You can't. Firebird, though derived from an open source engine, is
closed source.

Is there a 32-bit Windows version around?

There are several 32 bit compiles, at cyclonechess.com (don't tell my
CCC buddies I typed that address, I will never hear the end of it).
BTW, Firebird is now known as Fire. There was a complaint from the
FirebirdSQL folk, so Norm Schmidt renamed the engine to Fire.

What the relationship (if any) between IPPIOLT and Firebird?

Close. Firebird is based on IPPOLIT, but is privately modified and
maintained, separate from the IPPOLIT project itself.