Old June 9th 10, 11:41 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess

Default Covers on Chess Life Worse than Ever!!

If you are among those still receiving Chess Life in the mail, your
ballot came wrapped around the magazine.

Open the ballot and look at the cover. Good thing they hid it. What is
this? Another terrible cover. Out of focus, mis-colored. Cannot even
tell if this is a drawing or a photograph.

Almost every cover this year has been bad. We thought that the
Photoshopped picture of a cow on the cover last month was the worst
cover ever, but it seems they can do worse.

Look at the other pictures. The picture of Karpov on page 36 is
terrible. Look at the picture on page 35.

We know that our editor can do better. When he first started, the
photographs both inside and outside the magazine were great. Is he on
strike or slowdown? Did we reduce his salary as an “economy measure”?

Old June 9th 10, 09:52 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess

On Jun 9, 1:41*pm, samsloan wrote:
If you are among those still receiving Chess Life in the mail, your
ballot came wrapped around the magazine.

Open the ballot and look at the cover. Good thing they hid it. What is
this? Another terrible cover. Out of focus, mis-colored. Cannot even
tell if this is a drawing or a photograph.

Almost every cover this year has been bad. We thought that the
Photoshopped picture of a cow on the cover last month was the worst
cover ever, but it seems they can do worse.

Look at the other pictures. The picture of Karpov on page 36 is
terrible. Look at the picture on page 35.

We know that our editor can do better. When he first started, the
photographs both inside and outside the magazine were great. Is he on
strike or slowdown? Did we reduce his salary as an “economy measure”?

Sam Sloan

It reminds me of traditional Greek elementary school textbooks--in
three or four or five colors (literally, not blended either): red,
blue, black, green, yellow, but each of the colors printed by
different plates so the outline of say a pine tree (in black) does not
match the green shading of the pine, which is offset by a couple of
millimeters. So you get this amateurish effect that looks like a
double strike of a misprint coin, or ghost images.

So bad it's good.

RL