Old August 28th 10, 01:50 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default russian chess openings encyclopedia, Kalinichenko

I picked up four volumes of this set, called "Encyclopaedia Modern
Chess Openings. The publisher is Wiener Verlag and the editors
include Nikolai Kalinichenko and Anatoly Karpov.

These dust covers of these volumes indicate that there are three
Closed Games volumes. I have the volume that includes Trompowsky
Attack, Gruenfeld Indian Defense, Modern Benoni and others. The two I
don't have and want include Queen's Gambit Accepted, Albin Gambit, ...
and English Opening, Reti Opening, ...

I haven't been able to find these two volumes. Are they available
anywhere? Were they in fact published?

Does anyone know how to get in touch with Wiener Verlag, the
publisher?

Dan
Old August 28th 10, 05:25 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On 28 Aug, 13:50, Dan the K wrote:
I picked up four volumes of this set, called "Encyclopaedia Modern
Chess Openings. *The publisher is Wiener Verlag and the editors
include Nikolai Kalinichenko and Anatoly Karpov.

These dust covers of these volumes indicate that there are three
Closed Games volumes. I have the volume that includes Trompowsky
Attack, Gruenfeld Indian Defense, Modern Benoni and others. *The two I
don't have and want include Queen's Gambit Accepted, Albin Gambit, ...
and English Opening, Reti Opening, ...

I haven't been able to find these two volumes. *Are they available
anywhere? *Were they in fact published?

Does anyone know how to get in touch with Wiener Verlag, the
publisher?

Dan

These are the only ones I could find anywhere (perhaps the ones you
list are due to be published soon):

http://www.newinchess.com/Shop/Produ...s=Kalinichenko

Mark
Old August 28th 10, 10:58 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

* Dan the K (14:50) schrieb:

I picked up four volumes of this set, called "Encyclopaedia Modern
Chess Openings. The publisher is Wiener Verlag and the editors
include Nikolai Kalinichenko and Anatoly Karpov.

Are that computers, or what?

mfg, simon .... l
Old August 29th 10, 02:36 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On Aug 28, 12:25*pm, Mark Houlsby wrote:
On 28 Aug, 13:50, Dan the K wrote:

.. . .

I haven't been able to find these two volumes. *Are they available
anywhere? *Were they in fact published?

.. . .
Dan

These are the only ones I could find anywhere (perhaps the ones you
list are due to be published soon):

http://www.newinchess.com/Shop/Produ...s=Kalinichenko

Mark- Hide quoted text -

The four volumes that I have were published in 1994, 1996, 1998
Initially, as written on the dustcover, the set was going to include 5
volumes. Later, the Sicilian was split off from Semi-Open games to
make a sixth volume. Since three volumes for Closed games are listed
in the 1994 volume, it appears they were already written and
published. However, since they never appear anywhere in contrast to
the four volumes I have, it is possible they never existed.

These are clearly Russian chess books. Karpov's Forward, in
discussing the absence of a Russian encyclopedia on openings, makes
reference only to the Yugoslav encyclopedia. He writes, "Paradoxical
as it were, but no attempt has ever been made in this country to
compile and publish an encyclopaedia on openings although the USSR has
been for many decades the the world's leader in chess thought . . ..
At last, Russia decided to fill up this gap: a five volume
encyclopaedia on opening games is now in the press in Moscow. . . .
[T]his publication devotes one volume to open and one volume to semi-
open openings. The rest three volumes deal with closed openings."
However, in the Forward, Editor-In-Chief N. Kalinichenko refers to a
total of only three volumes.

Oddly, these books were printed in Austria by Wiener Verlag, Schmidt
Schach; copyright Andreyeski Flag, Planeta - Press. Text in Russian,
English, German, French, Italian.

Simon: these are books. You know what books are, don't you? :-) The
manuals for your computer are books. If you print something out, it
becomes hard copy, which is like a book.
Old August 29th 10, 04:16 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On 29 Aug, 02:36, Dan the K wrote:
On Aug 28, 12:25*pm, Mark Houlsby wrote:

On 28 Aug, 13:50, Dan the K wrote:

. . .

[...]

I think Simon's point may have been that you posted this in
rec.games.chess.computer rather than rec.games.chess.misc or
rec.games.chess.analysis, either of which, arguably, may have
been more appropriate.

Some people are picky about these things.

I hope that the books emerge somewhere, sometime....

Old August 29th 10, 02:54 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On Aug 28, 11:16*pm, Mark Houlsby wrote:
On 29 Aug, 02:36, Dan the K wrote:

On Aug 28, 12:25*pm, Mark Houlsby wrote:

On 28 Aug, 13:50, Dan the K wrote:

. . .

[...]

I hope that the books emerge somewhere, sometime....- Hide quoted text -

Mark - Thanks for the gentle suggestion about which group to use.

My Google international search turned up about two dozen places that
sell the volumes I already have and none for the sought-after
volumes. I found a snail mail address for Andreyeski Flag and have
written to them.
Old August 29th 10, 06:49 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On 29 Aug, 02:36, Dan the K wrote:

On Aug 28, 12:25*pm, Mark Houlsby wrote:

On 28 Aug, 13:50, Dan the K wrote:

. . .

[...]

I wish you success.