Old September 5th 10, 05:56 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default chess set for Novag Star Opal

I have a Novag Star Opal chess computer. I like it because its small
and fits on the dining room table while I'm eating.

I lost a piece, a black knight and am looking for a replacement piece
or set. Where would you suggest I go? The device is useless with
only 31 pieces.

I've called the Chess House, USCF and Your Move without success. I've
sent emails to The London Chess Centre, Chess Discount Sales, Classic
Chess and Games. I sent a letter to Novag - their email mailbox is
full. I'm awaiting replies. SlavChess doesn't have it.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Dan

Old September 5th 10, 06:03 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On 5 Sep, 17:56, Dan the K wrote:
I have a Novag Star Opal chess computer. *I like it because its small
and fits on the dining room table while I'm eating.

I lost a piece, a black knight and am looking for a replacement piece
or set. *Where would you suggest I go? *The device is useless with
only 31 pieces.

I've called the Chess House, USCF and Your Move without success. *I've
sent emails to The London Chess Centre, Chess Discount Sales, Classic
Chess and Games. *I sent a letter to Novag - their email mailbox is
full. *I'm awaiting replies. *SlavChess doesn't have it.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Dan

Use another set. Use a Pawn (or whatever) of the remaining pieces to
enter
the moves.

hth
Mark
Old September 5th 10, 06:10 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On Sep 5, 1:03*pm, Mark Houlsby wrote:
On 5 Sep, 17:56, Dan the K wrote:

I have a Novag Star Opal chess computer. *I like it because its small
and fits on the dining room table while I'm eating.

I lost a piece, a black knight and am looking for a replacement piece
or set. *Where would you suggest I go? *The device is useless with
only 31 pieces.

I've called the Chess House, USCF and Your Move without success. *I've
sent emails to The London Chess Centre, Chess Discount Sales, Classic
Chess and Games. *I sent a letter to Novag - their email mailbox is
full. *I'm awaiting replies. *SlavChess doesn't have it.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Dan

Use another set. Use a Pawn (or whatever) of the remaining pieces to
enter
the moves.

hth
Mark- Hide quoted text -

What other set has magnetic pieces with 1/2 inch base?
Old September 5th 10, 07:22 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On 5 Sep, 17:56, Dan the K wrote:

[...]

Oh, my bad... I figured they were pegs, like my Jade II.... not sure
about magnetic....sorry.
Old September 5th 10, 07:49 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On 5 Sep, 17:56, Dan the K wrote:

[...]

Here's what I don't understand: it's described as "press sensory":

http://www.chessbaron.co.uk/chess-CM2003.htm

Therefore, you need only /press/ the "from" and "to" squares to
make it work.

Use another board for the position.

Why won't that work?

Alternatively, buy another magnetic set to fit the board.

http://www.chessdirect.co.uk/cgi-bin...%23aTSFW#aTSFW

Old September 6th 10, 01:47 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On 5 Sep, 17:56, Dan the K wrote:

[...]

http://www.chessdirect.co.uk/cgi-bin...p%3a%2f%2....- Hide quoted text -

"Press sensory" means its just like the bigger, tabletop sets, except
for the autosensory ones, such as the Novag Citrine and the Excalibur
Grandmaster. I was a little uneasy about this design in such a tiny
chess computer. In fact, it was because of the design that I lost the
piece! I was pushing down from the top, as you would in a peg, and
the bottom slipped out and flew away!

I've been using a peg design for 25 years
http://www.chesscomputeruk.com/html/express_16k.html
and wanted to upgrade to a model that lets you take back more than 7
half-moves. Saitek's Mephisto Expert Travel Chess Computer was under
consideration, but I heard Saitek is getting out of the chess computer
business.

I've looked through my list of chess stores and only one, USCF, had
magnetic chess sets small enough.
http://www.king-cart.com/USCFSales/p...ct_match=exact
http://www.king-cart.com/USCFSales/p...ct_match=exact
http://www.king-cart.com/USCFSales/p...ct_match=exact

I'm using the "travel" chess computers as an aid to reading chess
books. I have difficulty visualizing the main line and variants just
looking at a diagram. I make enough mistakes just playing the moves
so that a chess computer, which keeps track of the moves, is helpful.