Old September 28th 10, 10:14 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

Default What is Rybka Thinking?

On Sep 28, 1:27*am, Sanny wrote:

White: GetClub-Normal Level [4-min/move]
Black Rybka [5-sec/move]

1. e4 c5
2. Nf3 Nc6
3. B-b5 d6
4. 0-0 B-d7
5. R-e1

Now, Its Rybka Turn.

Rybka plays 5. ...Nf6 and is still in book.

I could swear we are still (more or less) following the game Sam
Sloan recently posted in which Judit Polgar clobbered a hapless
2300 player. In that game Judit advanced her queenside pawns,
played ...Re8 and then, when the time was right, redeployed her
QB to g4, which I imagine left white wishing he had played h3 --
as I did in a quick game against Rybka, which I lost after some
tactical skirmishing which for some reason or other came out in
Rybka's favor. Some engines are just lucky, I guess.
Old September 29th 10, 05:46 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

On Sep 28, 2:14*pm, The Master wrote:
On Sep 28, 1:27*am, Sanny wrote:

White: GetClub-Normal Level [4-min/move]
Black Rybka [5-sec/move]

1. e4 c5
2. Nf3 Nc6
3. B-b5 d6
4. 0-0 B-d7
5. R-e1

Now, Its Rybka Turn.

* Rybka plays 5. ...Nf6 and is still in book.

* I could swear we are still (more or less) following the game Sam
Sloan recently posted in which Judit Polgar clobbered a hapless
2300 player. * In that game Judit advanced her queenside pawns,
played ...Re8 and then, when the time was right, redeployed her
QB to g4, which I imagine left white wishing he had played h3 --
as I did in a quick game against Rybka, which I lost after some
tactical skirmishing which for some reason or other came out in
Rybka's favor. *Some engines are just lucky, I guess.

Not sure if you can compare that game to a game that is only 5 moves
long (if that's what you were trying to do....not sure). There are
hundreds of high level games with this opening, and historically the
opening slightly favors White. My database is relatively small (only
about 500K games) and through 5...Nf6 the results are (+70 = 94 -61).

jm
Old September 29th 10, 06:43 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer
Banned

* Rybka plays 5. ...Nf6 and is still in book.

GetClub Plays 6. h3 [Opening move]

White: GetClub-Normal Level [4-min/move]
Black Rybka [5-sec/move]

Played at: http://www.GetClub.com/Chess.html

1. e4 c5
2. Nf3 Nc6
3. B-b5 d6
4. 0-0 B-d7
5. R-e1 N-f6
6. h3

Now, Its Rybka Turn. GetClub too played h3.

Bye
Sanny

Play Chess at:http://www.GetClub.com/Chess.html

Strong Players can win upto $20.00 every month.

$15 by defeating Easy/ Normal Levels
+$5.00 by coming on top at GetClub.
Old September 29th 10, 08:07 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

On Sep 29, 12:46*am, wrote:

Not sure if you can compare that game to a game that is only 5 moves
long (if that's what you were trying to do....not sure). There are
hundreds of high level games with this opening, and historically the
opening slightly favors White. My database is relatively small (only
about 500K games) and through 5...Nf6 the results are (+70 = 94 -61).

I'm not 'comparing' the two games but merely noting the fact
(if I'm not mistaken) that this game is following the exact same
line as another one recently posted here by Sam Sloan. The
odds of this happening are roughly...

'Never tell me the odds!' -- Han Solo

...similar to the odds of successfully navigating a meteor field
in the Millenium Falcon while being pursued by a bounty hunter.
This is so bizarre that if it ever were to happen, it would likely
be in a galaxy far, far away.
Old September 29th 10, 08:40 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

On Sep 29, 1:43*am, Sanny wrote:

White: GetClub-Normal Level [4-min/move]
Black Rybka [5-sec/move]

Played at:http://www.GetClub.com/Chess.html

1. e4 c5
2. Nf3 Nc6
3. B-b5 d6
4. 0-0 B-d7
5. R-e1 N-f6
6. h3

Now, Its Rybka Turn.

Rybka plays 6. ...Ne5 and is still in book.

GetClub too played h3.

Yes, well... I played h3 *after* c3 to prevent the effective
reply ...Bg4
(which did in Judit Polgar's opponent).

Playing h3 now was unnecessary and obviously a loss of time as this
piece has already moved. Once white has played c3 and intends d4
next, then it may be necessary to prevent ...Bg4 by playing h3.
This
was the case in the Polgar game, but it depends on the exact position.

Note how black (Rybka) played 5. ...Nf6 -- not fearing the advance
e5
because of the refutation ...Nxe5, which wins a pawn because of the
discovered attack on the unprotected white bishop on b5. As an old
sparring partner of mine put it each time he executed this cheap
trick,
'one thousand and one' (referring to the approximate number of times
the trick worked for him in practice against duffers like me).

Old September 29th 10, 02:42 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer
Banned

GetClub too played h3.

* Yes, well... I played h3 *after* c3 to prevent the effective
reply ...Bg4
(which did in Judit Polgar's opponent).

GetClub Plays 7. a4 [Opening move]

White: GetClub-Normal Level [4-min/move]
Black Rybka [5-sec/move]

Played at: http://www.GetClub.com/Chess.html

1. e4 c5
2. Nf3 Nc6
3. B-b5 d6
4. 0-0 B-d7
5. R-e1 N-f6
6. h3 Ne5
7. a4

Now, Its Rybka Turn. According to opening database Black has never won
a game after this position.

Only 10 games has been played with this opening. And White has won 60%
times while 40% games were drawn.

Old September 29th 10, 04:39 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

On Sep 29, 6:42*am, Sanny wrote:

1. e4 c5
2. Nf3 Nc6
3. B-b5 d6
4. 0-0 B-d7
5. R-e1 N-f6
6. h3 Ne5
7. a4

Now, Its Rybka Turn. According to opening database Black has never won
a game after this position.

Only 10 games has been played with this opening. And White has won 60%
times while 40% games were drawn.

That's according to your database. Mine has more than 20 games in this
position, but it is true that Black does not have any wins in this
position in my games.

So I guess Rybka is about to make history. But not really, because
databases typically don't include games in which one player is 1500
ELO stronger than the other.

jm
Old September 29th 10, 04:46 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer
Banned

Only 10 games has been played with this opening. And White has won 60%
times while 40% games were drawn.

That's according to your database. Mine has more than 20 games in this
position, but it is true that Black does not have any wins in this
position in my games.

Whats the score for Draws and Wins? Which database you use?

Bye
Sanny

Old September 29th 10, 08:51 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

On Sep 29, 8:46*am, Sanny wrote:
Only 10 games has been played with this opening. And White has won 60%
times while 40% games were drawn.

That's according to your database. Mine has more than 20 games in this
position, but it is true that Black does not have any wins in this
position in my games.

Whats the score for Draws and Wins? Which database you use?

It is my own personal database of about 2 million games, a subset of
which was used to create the Chessmaster 9000 database. In this
database there were 23 games that reached this position, and there
were 8 wins for White and 15 draws. It's a very rare opening,
obviously. Probably the most recent significant games were Michael
Adams playing this opening as White at Corus 2001, scoring a win
against Tiviakov and a draw against Topalov.

jm
Old September 29th 10, 10:15 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

On Sep 29, 9:42*am, Sanny wrote:

White: GetClub-Normal Level [4-min/move]
Black Rybka [5-sec/move]

Played at:http://www.GetClub.com/Chess.html

1. e4 c5
2. Nf3 Nc6
3. B-b5 d6
4. 0-0 B-d7
5. R-e1 N-f6
6. h3 Ne5
7. a4

Now, Its Rybka Turn. According to opening database Black has never won
a game after this position.

Well then, we are about to see 'history' in the making!

Rybka plays 7. ...a6 and is still in book.