Old October 20th 10, 05:43 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics

Default GetClub ready for new Chess Challenge against Rybka

On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 05:37:04 -0700 in
, Sanny
wrote:

GetClub Chess was improved today again.

Lets start a game with Rybka [5 sec] vs GetClub [Normal Level 3 min/
move]

GetClub will play very strong game this time. So watch out.

White: GetClub Normal Level [3 min]
Black: Rybka [5 sec]
Played at:
http://www.GetClub.com/Chess.html

1. e4

Just out of interest, Sanny, how does GC resign so early in these games?
Most games you've previously posted only have your creation resigning when
faced with mate in 2 or worse. Has this part of the code been improved?

Old October 20th 10, 07:37 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics
Banned

Just out of interest, Sanny, how does GC resign so early in these games?
Most games you've previously posted only have your creation resigning when
faced with mate in 2 or worse. Has this part of the code been improved?

I resigned because GetClub was down 5 points.

Since it was playing against Rybka, No point continuing game after
losing a Rook.

Bye
Sanny

Old October 21st 10, 05:22 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics

On Oct 20, 11:37*am, Sanny wrote:
Just out of interest, Sanny, how does GC resign so early in these games?
Most games you've previously posted only have your creation resigning when
faced with mate in 2 or worse. Has this part of the code been improved?

I resigned because GetClub was down 5 points.

Since it was playing against Rybka, No point continuing game after
losing a Rook.

You never resigned. Instead, for the second time in the game, you
tried to take back multiple moves while claiming some grand
"improvement". Then, you conveniently just started a new game in a new
thread and I suppose hoped that we'd forget about how horribly GetClub
played in the previous game.

It's quite amazing, but all you've managed to do is make me respect
you and GetClub even LESS than I did before.

jm
Old October 21st 10, 05:23 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics

On Oct 20, 9:43*am, Stephan Bird wrote:

Has this part of the code been improved?

Improved? GetClub? You're joking, right?

jm

Old October 21st 10, 11:47 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

On Oct 21, 12:23*am, wrote:

On Oct 20, 9:43*am, Stephan Bird wrote:

Has this part of the code been improved?

Improved? GetClub? You're joking, right?

I too am interested in the question 'is GetClub now improved?,'
and think it should be posed to an unbiased expert on the matter.
Sanny, what do you say? Don't be afraid to tell us if you have
recently made some small improvement or other, just come right
out and say it.

Rybka never seems to improve anymore. When I first got it, it
beat me 100% of the time. Now, *years later*, it still wins only
100%.

Old October 21st 10, 06:04 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

On Oct 21, 6:47*am, The Master wrote:

* Rybka never seems to improve anymore. *When I first got it, it
beat me 100% of the time. * Now, *years later*, it still wins only
100%.

That's because you don't study your openings enough. Just memorizing a
string of moves won't work because you won't know what to do when your
opponent steps out of the move order. Study, study, and study. Who
knows, you might stmble across a cure for cancer while you're
studying.

Old October 21st 10, 06:45 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

Old October 21st 10, 10:37 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 10:04:55 -0700 (PDT), None
wrote:

On Oct 21, 6:47*am, The Master wrote:

* Rybka never seems to improve anymore. *When I first got it, it
beat me 100% of the time. * Now, *years later*, it still wins only
100%.

That's because you don't study your openings enough. Just memorizing a
string of moves won't work because you won't know what to do when your
opponent steps out of the move order. Study, study, and study. Who
knows, you might stmble across a cure for cancer while you're
studying.

They don't call it "studying" any more. They call it "training". I
mean, if they wanna get chess in the olympics and all...
Old October 22nd 10, 01:32 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

On Oct 21, 5:37*pm, MikeMurray wrote:

That's because you don't study your openings enough. Just memorizing a
string of moves won't work because you won't know what to do when your
opponent steps out of the move order. Study, study, and study. Who
knows, you might stmble across a cure for cancer while you're
studying.

They don't call it "studying" any more. *They call it "training". * I
mean, if they wanna get chess in the olympics and all...

When I was a young man training and trains were for women.

Old October 22nd 10, 02:28 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

On Oct 21, 1:04*pm, None wrote:

* Rybka never seems to improve anymore. *When I first got it, it
beat me 100% of the time. * Now, *years later*, it still wins only
100%.

That's because you don't study your openings enough. Just memorizing a
string of moves won't work because you won't know what to do when your
opponent steps out of the move order. Study, study, and study. Who
knows, you might stmble across a cure for cancer while you're
studying.

Have you ever seen what they call 'the immortal game'? It seems
that the winner, a fellow named Anderssen, played some really wacky
stuff in the opening, apparently won by random chance and was
credited for creating what was widely considered a brilliancy. But
look at the opening moves and even the early middlegame: junk!
Even Rybka was confounded by their ridiculous play, yet this was
good enough to get top billing, so to speak, as 'the' immortal game.

No, I think the answer is to upgrade to GetClub or Ivan. That way
can expect real improvement in the program's results against me over
time. Either that or else I need to continue getting weaker and
weaker,
to help Rybka improve her results against me. I've been making
pretty
good progress so far in this respect, although I must admit that when
play someone of about Phil Innes' strength I inevitably win -- and
how.
Take a gander at this, my most recent tournament game:

[Event "Club Championship"]
[Site "Indiana"]
[Date "2010.10.15"]
[Round "3"]
[White "The Master"]
[Black "Victimicus, Hap Les"]
[Result "1-0"]
[ECO "B02"]
[PlyCount "45"]
{B02: Alekhine's Defence: Chase Variation and lines with early Nc3}

1. e4 Nf6 2. e5 Ne4 3. d3 Nc5 4. d4 d6?? 5. dxc5 Nc6 6. exd6 cxd6
7. cxd6 e5 8. Nc3 a6 9. Bc4 Be6? 10. Bxe6 fxe6 11. Ne4 Qa5+ 12. c3
O-O-O 13. Nh3 Nd4 14. O-O Nf5 15. Nhg5 Bxd6?! 16. Nf7 Rhf8 17. Nfxd6+
Kb8 [diagram] 18. Nxb7! Qb6 19. Nxd8 Nd6 {'WTF?' --Rybka} 20. Nxe6
Rf5 21. Nxd6 Rf6 22. Be3 Qxb2 23. Rb1 resigns 1-0

As you can clearly see, I am vastly superior to that patzer Phil
Innes (or
was it Ray Lopez? No matter.) I am especially proud of the way in
which
I brilliantly rescued (hey, if that ridiculous win by Adolf Anderssen
is an
immortal game, then the win posted above is brilliant by those
standards)
my trapped knight via 18. Nxb7!, a move which Rybka also happened to
find, if only after looking at billions of irrelevant variations.