Old November 16th 10, 07:14 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer

Default ChessX 0.8

* raylopez99 (19:38) schrieb:

On Nov 15, 8:36*pm, Bruno Rizzuti wrote:
The new version of ChessX is out. It is a program still under
development: at the moment it is little more than a PGN viewer, in the
future we hope to enhance its database functionalities. It is totally
free and open source, and it works under Linux, Windows and Mac OS X.

http://chessx.sourceforge.net/

Many bugs have been eliminated and the graphical interface has been
further simplified for the user. It is quick and functional for
analyzing your games with a chess engine, and starting with this version
it can also show more than one variation at the same time.

Greetings, Bruno.

Thanks, but what does open source mean? Source code is published, or
we can use it in a non-commercial manner? If published, what language
was it written in?

C++, GPL v2. You can use it even in a commercial manner and fiddle
around in it as you like.

mfg, simon .... l
Old November 16th 10, 10:26 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer

On Nov 16, 9:14*am, Simon Krahnke wrote:

C++, GPL v2. You can use it even in a commercial manner and fiddle
around in it as you like.

mfg, * * * * * * * * * * * * * *simon .... l

Thanks. I only code in C# now. Depending on how well it is
commented, I could try and port it to C#, but it might be a lot of
work. I'd be curious if it was well commented. I did a chess move
engine once, and it's not too hard, but the real hard part is if it
has a chess alpha-beta evaluation algorithm to actually play
chess...I'd like to see a open source, commented version of that in
C#. Crafty was good but written in C for efficiency and speed and it
would take too long to understand and port it I would imagine.

Good luck with your project.

RL
Old November 16th 10, 11:08 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer

On 16/11/2010 23.26, raylopez99 wrote:

I only code in C# now. Depending on how well it is
commented, I could try and port it to C#, but it might be a lot of
work. I'd be curious if it was well commented.

You can download the source code and take a quick look at the code - if
you like - and judge yourself.

Good luck with your project.

Thanks.

Bruno